Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Question - Father To Son, Birmingham 1973

forum rss feed
Author

Jan78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 264 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Nov 06, 06:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello everyone,

having listened to above mentioned live recording of the song, I was wondering if all versions have that little cut/edit in the middle of the song. My file runs 5:27 minutes and this cut is at about 3:19 until 3:24. Well...now that I'm writing this, I'm not exactly sure anymore if it's in fact being played that way. Does anyone know? I don't have any other live version from other concerts around that time, so I can't compare.

Jan

Posted: 01 Nov 06, 19:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*bump*

Leaky Luke user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 619 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 06, 09:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

as far as I know they never really played it like the original... but it's been ages since I listened to all those bootlegs.

Micrówave wrote: I would prefer they release a concert of all four sitting at a table just talking about Queen without exerting any kind of energy. Well, maybe Fred can smoke
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 06, 11:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

absolutely...the song wasn't finished as a studio track in 73...so it was probably a case of the live version evolving into the "later" studio version

go deo na h√Čireann

Posted: 02 Nov 06, 21:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That wasn't my point, thanks anyway.
On the soundfile I mentioned, it sounds like the original tape could have been cut and put back together, right, and I have also mentioned where in the song it is. So I just wanted to know if it's just me or if anyone has an idea if I'm wrong or not because I wondered. Nevermind tho.

Jan

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 03 Nov 06, 16:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i might be wrong..but i don;t think it was cut...
most tapes used for bootlegging in those days (the early 70s) were the first c60/c90s

my guess is that the original recording was done on a c60...because that's where the last track (KYA) gets cut - ie where the tape runs out - ie at 30mins...because the 73 gigs (as support act) ran for about 45 mins and also included Liar and the rnr medley.

so to summarise...i don;t think that there is a cut in father to son
especially when you listen to Liverpool, Bristol, golders green and manchester from same tour - the "cut" as you call it is deliberately there - it's as I said in previous post...how the song was performed in it's "pre-studio" state

go deo na h√Čireann
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18633 posts

Posted: 04 Nov 06, 22:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't see any major differences in the way Queen performed Father To Son in 73 compared to 74-76 (except for Freddie actually playing the piano intro in 76).

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
stateside fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 632 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 06, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i agree with GH.maybe the cut is a power ouage as i have never heard a version without it.

john pistlli
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 06, 13:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Different lyrics were used in the 1973 performances. Also musically, it was little different.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Posted: 05 Nov 06, 22:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks. I just wondered about that extra drum beat and guitar I mentioned when I started the topic. It sounds like unintended, like something was wrong with the bootlegger's tape. Nevermind.

Jan