Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Scandal - Freddie Really a Baritone ?

forum rss feed
Author

M a t i a s M a y user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1932 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Nov 06, 22:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HERE AND EVERYWHERE, FREDDIE IS A FUCKING TENOR

...End of the Beginning...

My Mystical Flog ---> http://www.fotolog.com/woodywoodbecker

A Clockwork World, my blog ---> http://aclockworkworld.blogspot.com
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 06, 22:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd classify him as a baritenor. His speaking voice was low like a baritone, but no baritone can hit high C and D like Freddie could hit.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 06, 22:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IMHO, natural light lyric baritone - pushed up to tenor.

It's not about range - it's about vocal color.

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash

Posted: 03 Nov 06, 01:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IF HE HITS A D4... HE IS A FUCKING TENOR!!!

FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!!

unknown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 400 posts

Posted: 03 Nov 06, 05:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here is a friendly answer from a person who is involved in the opera 'business' since her birth (my parents are both opera singers and I have vocal training too): Freddie was a baritone, but he often sang 'falsetto', i.e. with his 'head voice' - beyond his 'natural range'. Actually, baritones are perfectly suited for a rock/pop branche and there are in fact nearly only baritones in this business, because they have a much stronger voice in the 'falsetto range': f. ex. Elton John, Elvis Presley, Mick Jagger, David Bowie, Jimi Hendrix...
A tenor voice is a 'weaker' or better said sensible voice for the pop rock branche, but this doesn't mean that their voice is less beautiful - Jon Anderson from Yes is a tenor f. ex. Hope that helps.

Posted: 03 Nov 06, 06:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you're interested: baritones are also Sting, Robert Plant (that's because he can 'scream' so well:)), Michael Jackson (his falsetto use is excellent), Rod Steward...

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 03 Nov 06, 07:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I used to think of him as a baritone, but I was wrong.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

Posted: 03 Nov 06, 08:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to disagree, because baritones cannot turn into tenors and viceversa. The term 'baritone' and 'tenor' describes the natural range; everything that goes beyond is 'squeezed' out or sung with falsetto.
In the case of Freddie's: his natural range was always baritone. In his early days his 'respiring technique' was not developed and his voice therefore too weak to hold the notes like he did later. Only later he gained experience and his voice became stronger.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 03 Nov 06, 11:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"If you have evidence to support your opinion that Freddie was unequivocally a tenor, please present it."

Don't hold your breath.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 03 Nov 06, 11:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Um... I'd say he's a tenor, because he has a range of about 3 octaves.

But then again, he was able to sing both baritone and tenor.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 03 Nov 06, 13:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=B22222>daria k. wrote:

Here is a friendly answer from a person who is involved in the opera 'business' since her birth (my parents are both opera singers and I have vocal training too): Freddie was a baritone, but he often sang 'falsetto', i.e. with his 'head voice' - beyond his 'natural range'. Actually, baritones are perfectly suited for a rock/pop branche and there are in fact nearly only baritones in this business, because they have a much stronger voice in the 'falsetto range': f. ex. Elton John, Elvis Presley, Mick Jagger, David Bowie, Jimi Hendrix...
A tenor voice is a 'weaker' or better said sensible voice for the pop rock branche, but this doesn't mean that their voice is less beautiful - Jon Anderson from Yes is a tenor f. ex. Hope that helps.

Thank you for writing this. I sing mostly in opera/classical genre, and I'm a voice teacher.

ETA: I will say, once again - it's NOT about range. It's not the only factor.

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash

Posted: 03 Nov 06, 13:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A FUCKING TENOR

A FUCKING TENOR

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 03 Nov 06, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

M a t i a s M a y<h6><i>QZ's Rainmaker wrote:

A FUCKING TENOR

A FUCKING TENOR

Why does it matter to you so much?

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

Legy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 433 posts

Posted: 03 Nov 06, 13:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm a musician, not a good one, but I have a good ear and I've been told by most of my colleagues that I have perfect pitch. I can say without a doubt that Freddie Mercury was a TENOR! Tenor range is between D below middle C to A above middle C. Freddie had no problem hitting these notes, in fact I've heard Freddie sing a C# above middle C. That my friends is an octave and a half note above middle C. Your talking middle Alto range. Freddie did cheat when performing live, of course he had to in order to keep his voice for the duration of a tour.

Posted: 03 Nov 06, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

artemismoon wrote:

I'm a musician, not a good one, but I have a good ear and I've been told by most of my colleagues that I have perfect pitch. I can say without a doubt that Freddie Mercury was a TENOR! Tenor range is between D below middle C to A above middle C. Freddie had no problem hitting these notes, in fact I've heard Freddie sing a C# above middle C. That my friends is an octave and a half note above middle C. Your talking middle Alto range. Freddie did cheat when performing live, of course he had to in order to keep his voice for the duration of a tour.

Sorry, you're writing that the range of a tenor is "between D below middle C to A above middle C". But what about 'La donna è mobile' (canzone of the Duke, "Rigoletto" by Giuseppe Verdi) with an H, or 'Di quella pira' (stretta of Manrico, "Il Trovatore" by Giuseppe Verdi) with C', or 'À te o cara' with Des' (aria of Arturo, "I Puritani" by Vincenzo Bellini)...

Posted: 03 Nov 06, 14:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

artemismoon wrote:

Sorry, you're writing that the range of a tenor is "between D below middle C to A above middle C". But what about 'La donna è mobile' (canzone of the Duke, "Rigoletto" by Giuseppe Verdi) with an H, or 'Di quella pira' (stretta of Manrico, "Il Trovatore" by Giuseppe Verdi) with C', or 'À te o cara' with Des' (aria of Arturo, "I Puritani" by Vincenzo Bellini)...

Yes, you are right. But there are different two levels of Tenor (three counting countertenor, but I'm not counting them *Chris Martin*), at least that's what I was taught. Tenor I or Tenor II, just like Bass I or Bass II. Freddie was a Tenor II, which closely resembles a Baritone. The songs you mentioned above are written for a Tenor I.

From Britannica:
"High male voice range, extending from about the second B below middle C to the G above it. In the polyphony of the 13th–16th centuries, the tenor was the part that held (Latin, tenere: “to hold”) the cantus firmus. Tenor voices are often classified as dramatic, lyric, or heroic (heldentenor). In instrument families, tenor refers to the instrument in which the central range is roughly that of the tenor voice (e.g., tenor saxophone)."

Posted: 03 Nov 06, 15:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe you are singing in a choir, because Tenor I and Tenor II are both classifications used in the choir. The soloists do not have such classifications, at least not in the range, because 'heldentenor' f. ex. only describes the character of the voice, not the range. 'Countertenor' on the other hand is a man who sings like a woman.

Posted: 03 Nov 06, 15:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe you are singing in a choir, because Tenor I and Tenor II are both classifications used in the choir. The soloists do not have such classifications, at least not in the range, because 'heldentenor' f. ex. only describes the character of the voice, not the range. 'Countertenor' on the other hand is a man who sings like a woman.

Well then, lets talk opera. A professional operatic tenor will typically have a range extending up to the C above middle C, which is often called the "high C". Which Freddie did sing. By definition, a Countertenor is an adult male who sings either Alto or Soprano often through use of falsetto, there are a few true Countertenors that don't use their falsetto. These are the facts.

Now, if Montserrat Caballé did say that Fred was a Baritone, and I have to see proof, then she is correct since she is a classically trained musician and I only have four years of music theory under my belt.

Posted: 03 Nov 06, 15:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have this quote on my site: http://www.mercury-and-queen.com/allround.htm but I have to say you a great respect, for four years you can talk really well about music :)

Posted: 03 Nov 06, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oops