Forums > Queen - General Discussion > when did freddie informed queen members he was ill?

forum rss feed
Author

freddieparis user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 31 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Nov 06, 16:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've heard it was around january 1991. Can anybody help?

Mike Moran should play on next queen album!!
flash! 28068 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2995 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 06, 16:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I recall hearing Brian (on the Wembley DVD) that they had a minor argument in Spain during their touring in 1986 and Freddie suddenly said "Well, i'm not going to be doing this forever. This probably is the last time."
Brian said that was maybe a hint to himself and to them about his health worries.
However, i dont know for certain about it being January 1991. That's abit... late, i think.

"It’s not often we play in daylight, and I fucking well wish we did before, I can see you all now. And there are some beauties here tonight, I can tell you!" ;)
KingMercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 345 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 06, 17:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

some people say it was during the miracle sessions
but there are some contradictions in brian and roger, cause sometimes, they said freddie never told them he was ill, but i heard brian or roger say that freddie said to the band something like this "well, you know what`s this all about, im ill, so we will never talk about this again, and i will be doing music untill my last day"

"I`m Just A Singer With A Song...How Can I Try to Right The Wrong"
boca user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 399 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 06, 18:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie found out he had AIDS in spring '87. Band members certainly new he was ill during Miracle sessions...

I think I'm banana tree...
Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 06, 19:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie may not have knew technically he had AIDS until April 1987, but I personally think he had a clue himself during the magic tour.... perhaps he had a few minor signs he noticed himself.

Honestly, I would guess even before the Miracle sessions, the band knew.

I recall a assistant to the band saying something that before they started the Miracle, the band were sitting and around discussing the concept of the album, and a tour... Freddie kept quiet for several days then said something to the effect of "I have this thing, they don't have a cure for it.... I may have 10 months, or 10 years, I want business to carry on as usual, but I don't think I tour."

Brian has said that "this thing" was never defined...but it didn't take Einstein to figure it out.

Let's keep in mind that Freddie's doctors were not sure at the time if he was going to make it through the Miracle sessions.

Freddie was very ill the day the filmed the video for "I want it all".... you can constantly hear the director on the outtakes continually ask Freddie if "he is ok"?

Sad :(

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
theCro user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1056 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 06, 20:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

this is really sad. Freddie looked exostd on Scandal and I want It All :'(

blerp user not visiting Queenzone.com
blerp
Deity: 2438 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 06, 23:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Metal Head wrote:

I miss Freddie...if only he were still around.
:(

He IS around, he faked his death like Andy Kaufman.

I joke!!!

I'm so pissed I could spit.
mircal user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 555 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 06, 00:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, after Knebworth brian said... that... freddie said that, he didnt want to do this any more (touring that is). so maybe at that time 86 he had an idea. Who knows. Jim hutton says he knows when, he did metion it but i cant recall... nor care.

M a t i a s M a y user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1932 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 06, 03:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When he was dead

...End of the Beginning...

My Mystical Flog ---> http://www.fotolog.com/woodywoodbecker

A Clockwork World, my blog ---> http://aclockworkworld.blogspot.com
Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 06, 07:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger has been quoted on video saying that Freddie had called a meeting at his house and broke the news to the band at that time. But he never gave a specific time when this took place.

cream user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 06, 08:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In a recent David Richards radio interview he talked about Roger asking him during the Miracle sessions "do you know what's wrong with Freddie?"

They found out 1989/1990

you_rock_my_socks06 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 287 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 06, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian May said on a show he only told them a few months before but they were all aware that Freddie had something because of the way that every so often in the studio a pained look passed Freddies face.

Also according to Jim Hutton when Freddie had a party in Barcelona, by the pool, John Deacon took Jim to the side and asked him why there were patches on Freddies leg

I think they were told around January 1991

Bono Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 134 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 06, 13:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it was 1989 im absoulute about this

And All I Can Do Is Surrender.
stateside fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 632 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 06, 15:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

told in 89..suspected since 86 is my guess.

john pistlli
Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 06, 15:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie told them, according to biographer Laura Jackson, that he was ill in 1989, in Montreux but did not specify what was wrong. Only in January of 1991 did he tell them that it was AIDS. The others already knew though, either by deduction or monserrat Caballe explainig to John Deacon about the marks on Freddie's face.

PS RE Scott mercury; when does the director keep asking Fred if he's ok? I didn't hear that on the GH2 behind the scenes. He didn't look ill in his features but visibly winced at times.

hj
Drowse1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 153 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 06, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe he said it when they were recording tracks for the Miracle album in 1989 as Freddie didn't want anyone in the band publically saying that they would be touring when Freddie knew he wouldn't be able to tour at all.

I reign with my left hand, I rule with my right.
rosedewitt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 06, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

according to jim hutton freddie told the band very late that he was ill, i think it was 1990/1991. the band assumed it earlier, and felt approved when he told them, - i'm pretty sure it has been after the miracle sessions, but i'll have a look again in jim huttons book.

Going Back user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 06, 15:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

how can you say that he found out on 87 that he had aids, if he had it in 85 then he found also out it in 85, because the signs are clearly seen by the people who has AIDS. with first 3´months i am sure he found out he had the illness.

bohemian 11513 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1347 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 06, 16:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fred wasn´t ill up until the day he died!
So sad he never got the chance to ask his doctors what killed him... :-(

PS: ;-)

Shoot for the moon... even if you fail you will land among the stars!

luthorn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 609 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 06, 21:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Going Back wrote:

how can you say that he found out on 87 that he had aids, if he had it in 85 then he found also out it in 85, because the signs are clearly seen by the people who has AIDS. with first 3´months i am sure he found out he had the illness.

Per When Freddie met Kenny, it is possible to assume Freddie knew in 1984 he had HIV. Kenny was tested positive that year and they happened to share lovers at that time. So Freddie was either in denial and did not test, did not give a fuck but knew he had HIV, or was tested and did not give a fuck.