Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Since Queen used no synthesizers....

forum rss feed
Author

RETROLOVE user not visiting Queenzone.com
RETROLOVE
Deity: 2522 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Nov 06, 04:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

...On their earlier albums, such as Queen, Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack, etc, how did they make those really cool sounds, that sounded really electronic?

Loving the pass, cherishing the present, and looking forward to the future

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 06, 04:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brians guitar sound is what you hear. There is no "if" about it, queen didn't use any synthesizers in the 70's.

goodco user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 371 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 06, 05:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One word.....SKILL

"Ladies and gentlemen... I guess that takes in most of you..." Groucho Marx, 'A Night at the Opera'

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 06, 05:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You should learn Queen history more properly actually...

RETROLOVE

Posted: 06 Nov 06, 06:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was actually listening to Father to Son from Queen's II album, and I was blown away by it, I cant believe their wasnt any synths used in the song, let alone any of the other songs on the album, its really amazing that they didnt use anything like that!

RETROLOVE

Posted: 06 Nov 06, 06:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

brians guitar sound is what you hear. There is no "if" about it, queen didn't use any synthesizers in the 70's.

Good point, I'll change it to 'since'...lol

mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4630 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 06, 07:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In the studio Brian used a combination of his guitar (by using a variation of his pick up settings), some effects pedals, and various tone and volume settings on his amps.

His amps were then miked in such a way that the michrophones themselves were placed at varying angles or distances from the amps. This was to capture certain sounds that the amp itself gave out rather than his guitar. Someone with more technical know how than I have may be able to explain the last bit in better detail than me.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 06, 07:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well actually, it is debatable whether the Red Special coupled with an insane array of Deaky-amps and processors wouldn't count as a guitar-synthesizer, like what Pat Metheny uses.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8684 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 06, 07:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

Well actually, it is debatable whether the Red Special coupled with an insane array of Deaky-amps and processors wouldn't count as a guitar-synthesizer, like what Pat Metheny uses.

BLASPHEMY!!!! :o

hehehee

Killed by drones.
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 06, 08:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's worth mentioning that it wasn't exclusively Brian's Red Special. The others participated there too, even if less frequently, and so did Brian did no-RS things.

For instance there was direct sampling sometimes (Prohpet's Song intro, I'm In Love With My Car, Dead On Time), some additional percussion (bells, gong, chimes), unusual (for the band) no-synth keyboard instruments like organ, harpsichord, jangle piano, e-piano and harmonium, the piano "ring" effect in Nevermore, some tape-manipulation to creat phasing (e.g. Killer Queen), Brian's use of toy instruments (e.g. koto, mini-banjo, that odd acoustic guitar sounding like sitar, plastic piano), loads of backwards, electronic percussion, multi-tracked voices.

So there was much more than just the Red Special. The odd sound in Father To Son intro results of the combination of two guitar tracks doing the arpeggios unisono with the piano. The mystique athmosphere in 'White Queen' first chorus didn't have anything to do with the Red Special: it was all Roger's cymbal rolls (fabulously played and exceptionally mixed) and Freddie's angelical choir (achieved via human natural effects and phasing, which is something machines weren't and won't ever be able to equal).

Even a large part of 'The Game' is synth-free: effects in Another One Bites The Dust are achieved through harmonised-guitar, backwards piano notes and electronic percussion (the "thunderbolt").

I'm not trying to take merit off the Red Special, but there was much more. And btw Brian didn't use many pedals, it was mostly the pre-amp and the treble booster plus the enviable variety of sounds the guitar can produce. And the "aeroplane" noises were done with tremolo bar (check Star Licks).

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
RETROLOVE

Posted: 06 Nov 06, 23:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

It's worth mentioning that it wasn't exclusively Brian's Red Special. The others participated there too, even if less frequently, and so did Brian did no-RS things.

For instance there was direct sampling sometimes (Prohpet's Song intro, I'm In Love With My Car, Dead On Time), some additional percussion (bells, gong, chimes), unusual (for the band) no-synth keyboard instruments like organ, harpsichord, jangle piano, e-piano and harmonium, the piano "ring" effect in Nevermore, some tape-manipulation to creat phasing (e.g. Killer Queen), Brian's use of toy instruments (e.g. koto, mini-banjo, that odd acoustic guitar sounding like sitar, plastic piano), loads of backwards, electronic percussion, multi-tracked voices.

So there was much more than just the Red Special. The odd sound in Father To Son intro results of the combination of two guitar tracks doing the arpeggios unisono with the piano. The mystique athmosphere in 'White Queen' first chorus didn't have anything to do with the Red Special: it was all Roger's cymbal rolls (fabulously played and exceptionally mixed) and Freddie's angelical choir (achieved via human natural effects and phasing, which is something machines weren't and won't ever be able to equal).

Even a large part of 'The Game' is synth-free: effects in Another One Bites The Dust are achieved through harmonised-guitar, backwards piano notes and electronic percussion (the "thunderbolt").

I'm not trying to take merit off the Red Special, but there was much more. And btw Brian didn't use many pedals, it was mostly the pre-amp and the treble booster plus the enviable variety of sounds the guitar can produce. And the "aeroplane" noises were done with tremolo bar (check Star Licks).

Wow...thanks you, I was wondering how they created those LOVELY sounds!

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 06, 00:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

You forgot cowbell.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
RETROLOVE

Posted: 07 Nov 06, 03:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

Sebastian wrote:

You forgot cowbell.

What songs that you know of, do they use cowbells in?

Joma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 388 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 06, 06:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Liar for example.

It's not a cowbell as in cows but a proper percussion instrument :)

http://www.lpmusic.com/Product_Showcase/Cowbells/index.html

Live life to the full!
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 06, 06:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I add:

The Loser In The End
Misfire

Probably more...

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 06, 06:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What about the lost 7:33 version of "Innuendo", known as the 'Cowbell Edit'.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Sebastian

Posted: 07 Nov 06, 08:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Keep Yourself Alive (at least some live versions)
Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon

and of course Who Needs You

There are many more percussion instruments in Queen records: marimba, triangle, woodblocks, hawk-bells, timpani (actual or sampled), conga, maracas, castanets...

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 06, 14:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you, Sebastian.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 06, 15:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

There are many more percussion instruments in Queen records: marimba.......

Where is the Marimba? I have missed that.

Sebastian

Posted: 07 Nov 06, 21:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Loser In The End