Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Red Special / Yellow Jacket question

forum rss feed
Author

saboneris user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Nov 06, 22:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Someone may know the answer to these 2 questions. I was wondering if anyone knew where the yellow jacket that Freddie wore at Wembley is located.

I was also wondering what people think will happen to the Red Special once Brian....well you know...dies

I doubt it would be up for sale at an auction, but if it were, how much do you think it would sell for? Along those same lines, how much would the yellow jacket sell for at an auction? These are just speculative questions, but im curious.

mircal user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 555 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 06, 00:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

saboneris wrote:

Someone may know the answer to these 2 questions. I was wondering if anyone knew where the yellow jacket that Freddie wore at Wembley is located.

I was also wondering what people think will happen to the Red Special once Brian....well you know...dies

I doubt it would be up for sale at an auction, but if it were, how much do you think it would sell for? Along those same lines, how much would the yellow jacket sell for at an auction? These are just speculative questions, but im curious.

Some one said Jim sold it.... and I would say he...

May take it with him... like to the grave..
Leave it with family
Put in a show case.

Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 06, 02:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The whole Wembley 86 Freddie get up was sold at auction a couple of years back, it was on the Sothebys website when up for sale. I think it went for about £26000 or something like that.

Chom own mudder fukker.
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 06, 04:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian can't die!

Nah seriously. I think Brian's guitar will remain in his family

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Bohemian Rahpsody user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 105 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 06, 05:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If I were Brian, I would take it with me. Nah, I would probably sell it for proceeds to charity, an A.I.D's charity most likely. Intersting question.

Take care all!

B.R

Freddies Lover
unknown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 400 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 06, 05:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In my opinion a Queen and Freddie Mercury museum should be established.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 06, 07:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm pretty sure Brian said the Red Special was going in the box with him. And fair enough too. When Brian's dead, you won't ever hear an RS sing quite the same way.

And besides, the thing is pretty well documented, there are loads of copies (to varying levels of accuracy).

It would be interesting if in the future they could just scan the thing and 'print out' a copy of it. Once energy -> matter conversion is figured out, this sort of thing should be a doddle.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Maruga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Maruga
Royalty: 1705 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 06, 08:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As far i know Brian gave the original Red Special to the singer of Os Paralamas (brazilian band), because he had a car accident, and he almost died. The singer (i don't remember the name) is a huge Brian fan, and they recorded some songs together.

Life Is A Bitch...

Phill the Thrill user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 228 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 06, 10:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The red special is in fact as close to the most priceless musical instrument in history.

The fact that (despite all the differant replicsa) it is 100% original and 1 of a kind and can never be exactly duplicated. and the fact that it was a main part of so many song, and musical history.

If it were to sell it better be for a large number of millions of dollars.

maybe they should make part of it into brians cofin.

or better yet, if brian were cremated, make it into his urn, and it could sit on the mattle piece of a fire place, it it would be like a full circle.

Queen+PR Vancouver 13/04/06 anyone? Please FIND and SHARE it!
write your letters in the sand user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 06, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Isn't creative fiction fun to write?

Ready Freddie?
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 06, 12:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ebay

Katastrophe Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 307 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 06, 12:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=B22222>daria k. wrote:

In my opinion a Queen and Freddie Mercury museum should be established.

i agree.

Sherwood Forest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3547 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 06, 15:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

why doesnt someone just email brian and ask him what he thinks he's going to do with it?

One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1
Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 06, 16:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color="blue">Maruga wrote:

As far i know Brian gave the original Red Special to the singer of Os Paralamas (brazilian band), because he had a car accident, and he almost died. The singer (i don't remember the name) is a huge Brian fan, and they recorded some songs together.

It wasn't the original. The original guitar is the one Brian plays all the time (which nowadays has a coin on the headstock).

Herbert Vianna has a replica. I've seen him with his replica on the TV once, for a few seconds.

But I didn't know he got it after the accident. I thought he had gotten it around 1992/93.

I know the Paralamas do Sucesso met Brian during the soundcheck on the Rock in Rio festival, in 1985.

Then, in 1992 they recorded a song together, and toured with Brian, as the support band. So I supposed that was when he got the guitar.

But well, living and learning. :)

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
Deacons 1st Choice user not visiting Queenzone.com
Deacons 1st Choice
Bohemian: 603 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 06, 18:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rest assured no one else will ever own THE Red Special guitar. Nope...NEVER. It has ONE owner and it will always be that way.

I personally could not bear to think of it being treated as a mere "object" and shamelessly auctioned off to the highest bidder. Seeing it behind glass in some sort of display at a museum ( or worse...a Hard Rock Cafe!) would tear me to peices on a emotional level. It would be so very WRONG to do these things.

There is only ONE person who can possibly own it....for it IS this person and it is a part of him on so many levels that you cannot possibly seperate the two, even in "death".

Yes...the Red Special will be around for as long as our Brian is, bless em'.

saboneris user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 06, 20:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If it were up for auction, how much do you think it would go for.

I think someone would fork out a few million for it.

Deacons 1st Choice user not visiting Queenzone.com
Deacons 1st Choice
Bohemian: 603 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 06, 21:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well not to sound rude but none of those people deserve the honour of "owning" the Red! What i mean by "those people" is potential buyers! How can you sell the very soul of someone you admire and care about? That would be like selling off the person you most love....be it parents, kids, you name it.

Seriously.....how anyone can even think of the Red Special being "sold" is beyond me. It is just not acceptable on so many levels. So if it did go up for the highest bidder...then what? What a horrid end to such a glorious creation.

No...it's better it goes with it's maker in my opinion. Keep it safe and away from unworthy owners and spare it the disgrace of becoming something less then what it already represents.

That guitar is the very essence of the man. It can be seen as his very soul in some sense, as it represents so strong a emotional tie to the joys and wonders he has been able to express through it. I am not talking about it as simply a mere musical instrument. It is far more then that. It's hard to describe....but those in the know will know what i am getting at.

You cannot have one without the other...simple fact. That is how it should be ...bless em'

Drowse1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 153 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 12:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie's yellow jacket WAS sold at auction a few years back and made a packet. I suppose the Red Special will move on to Brians children when he dies but what they will do with it I don't know. I hope it does not end up in a private collection but rather have it on show in Britain in a Hard Rock Cafe were the fans can see it up close. No disrespect but I hope it does not end up in the USA. Queen never made it big there so I hope it remains in Blighty.

I reign with my left hand, I rule with my right.
Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 13:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Red Special... Isn't that the guitar Roger made with his mother?

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 14:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dan Corson II: The Revenge! wrote:

Red Special... Isn't that the guitar Roger made with his mother?

LMAO! :D