Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Brian May or Jimmy Page

forum rss feed
Author

mircal user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 555 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Nov 06, 21:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

iLOVEFREDDiEMERCURY wrote:

Between Brian May and Jimmy Page who do you think has the most ablility? I find them both to be immensly talented but I think Brian uses his talent more. Jimmy sticks with blues most of the time. What do you think.

I would say Brian.... Thats not any reflection on Page at all.... But Brian has flexed his talent allot more... i think any way.

Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 06, 23:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've never really been too big on Zep or it's members. Nothing against them really, just not for me. I'll go for Brian.

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 01:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

that's a bit silly to ask such a question on queenzone. Of course more people are gonna say brian, as I do, but on a zep site or even a general rock n roll site more rock fans would say jimmy page is a a better guitarist and is a top 3 best in rock history.

paintball user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 03:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jimmy sounds sloppy live..., but mike hunt is right

M a t i a s M a y user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1932 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 03:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jimmy Page can't play to save his shitty life, he sucks.

...End of the Beginning...

My Mystical Flog ---> http://www.fotolog.com/woodywoodbecker

A Clockwork World, my blog ---> http://aclockworkworld.blogspot.com
maxpower user not visiting Queenzone.com
maxpower
Bohemian: 477 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 06:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

have a word jimmy page is shit? take the Queen blinkers off apart from his playing he is a excellent producer too

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 06:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Though I love Led Zep... And respect Jimmy Page, I'd have to go with Brian May. =]

[ Wybren™ ] user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 07:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dan Corson II: The Revenge! wrote:

I've never really been too big on Zep or it's members. Nothing against them really, just not for me. I'll go for Brian.

I think John Bonham was a fab drummer, listen to 'Achilles Last Stand' and you know what I'm talking about. He's more improvising when playing live than Roger for example.

The style of both Brian and Jimmy is very different. So it's too hard to choose.

[ Ahoy' Rotterdam, April 26th ]|[ Rhein Energie Stadion Köln, Juli 6th ]|[ Gelredome Arnhem, July 10th ]
Bob-Plant user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 09:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

M a t i a s M a y<h6><i>QZ's Rainmaker wrote:

Jimmy Page can't play to save his shitty life, he sucks.

Sould I assume you're just saying that to get a rise out of people? If not, you are sadly mistaken.

At one time, Jimmy Page was probably the best guitar player alive, even better than Clapton. Both his ability & inventiveness, combined with the talent of his band mates helped him do things no one else could have even dreamed of. Having said that, I do feel that Jimmy really stopped getting better as a player by the end of LZ (1980) and both his song writing and actual playing deteriorated as the years have gone by. He has still shown occasional flashes of brilliance, but they seem to be far few between as the years go by.

Brian has always been a good player and continued to grow and try new sounds as Queen developed. After Freddie passed and Brian did solo work, while not neccessarily continuing to grow, neither his skills nor his talent have diminished.

In sum, at his best-Jimmy Page, currently-Brian.

Is that a cop-out answer?

"The things you have to do for money..."
Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 09:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

[ Wybren™ ] wrote:

Dan Corson II: The Revenge! wrote:

I think John Bonham was a fab drummer, listen to 'Achilles Last Stand' and you know what I'm talking about. He's more improvising when playing live than Roger for example.

The style of both Brian and Jimmy is very different. So it's too hard to choose.

I never said any of them were bad, just that I didn't care much for them.

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
NJQueenFan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 187 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 10:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd just say they're both great, and play different styles so you really cant call one better than the other.

"So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye? So you think you can love me and leave me to die?"

-Bohemian Rhapsody
Oszmercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 229 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 10:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In history books, Jimbo Page is the man, i think that Page created a sound, and style, and you can hear that influence on Brian's playin, so, i go for Page.

Loser in the end!!!
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Jimmy Page can't play to save his shitty life, he sucks. "

Haha, funny.

But seriously - are we to judge ourselves by our worst examples?
If I were to categorise Jimmy Page by the worst playing I've ever seen him do (which was for the 1988 Atlantic Record's shindig) then yes. I'd agree with you.
But he's done a lot better than that.

Judging guitarists by their worst performances is stupid. Do we pick on Matiasmay here for his version of Bijou where the intonation on the B string is flatter than a 12 year old girl's chest??

No! We don't, because he's probably done better than that.
In summation:
Kindly look through the catalogue of Led Zeppelin - there's some good bits in there; not all of it was a drunken stupour.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Drowse1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 153 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 11:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They are both great players but both have their own styles. Naturally I prefer Brian as Queen are my fave band but I couldn't seperate them as regards talent. I think Jimi Hendrix and Jeff Beck are the best 2 guitar players I have ever heard skill wise but Brian is still my fave over all.

I reign with my left hand, I rule with my right.
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 11:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bob-Plant wrote:

At one time, Jimmy Page was probably the best guitar player alive, even better than Clapton.

I hope you're talking exclusively about rock guitarists, because there were country, jazz, and other non-mainstream players who could destroy Page even in his prime. While he was a great player, he was only playing major and pentatonic scales - but creatively. Jazz players of his time (and any time) could play circles around him. Page was a rock player, so he happened to be in the mainstream, which gave him his popularity. Most people don't look beyond the mainstream for quality music, and so they are blinded by the mainstream, and think it contains all the quality music out there. Of course, they're far off the mark, as players like Jeff Beck and Frank Zappa, both of whom were around when Page was at his peak, and were always far better players.

Speed does not equal quality (and Page was often a very sloppy player, even in his best days). That aside, I'll still disagree with Page being even the best rock guitarist. He never could top Hendrix, and by the time Hendrix died, Steve Howe joined Yes, who is a far better player.

I do feel that Jimmy really stopped getting better as a player by the end of LZ (1980) and both his song writing and actual playing deteriorated as the years have gone by.

Page was doing the drugs by 75, and his playing suffered horribly. The good Zeppelin concerts became more and more rare from then onward. His playing was at its peak in 72-73.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
M a t i a s M a y user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1932 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 12:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I repeat

Page is a crappy guitar player

come on guys, you could of said

STEVE HOWE, ROBERT FRIPP

but

JIMMY PAGE??

:/

he's shit

...End of the Beginning...

My Mystical Flog ---> http://www.fotolog.com/woodywoodbecker

A Clockwork World, my blog ---> http://aclockworkworld.blogspot.com
BHM1775 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 126 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You may as well ask, which is best, an orange or an apple.

Gone. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 7178 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 12:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jimmy Page is awesome. But I <3 me Brian.

Jimmy < Brian. :D

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 12:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

maxpower wrote:

have a word jimmy page is shit? take the Queen blinkers off apart from his playing he is a excellent producer too

I must "half" disagree with you. I always hated the production on the Zeppelin albums, just didn't like the sound. But that's a personal opinion. The fact that Jimmy produced 'em all is clear proof of his greatness. Not only did he invent stuff on the guitar (like Brian), but he's produced many albums since the Zeppelin days.

Now if you're comparing Outrider to Back To The Light, then Brian wins hands down.

7 seas of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1817 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 13:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jimmy Page is incredible but I love Brian more. Brian is just so smart..and cute...and adorable...mmm....*sigh*...I'm going to stop that now.

Anyway, I like Brian's style and sound better than Jimmy's. But they're still both amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdoo21lvza8

^greatest video ever made

"If I get the answer wrong, you can kick me in the nuts" -Sean

I am the most obsessed Queen fan.