Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Under Pressure video film references

forum rss feed
Author

javielete user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 78 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 08:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi! The scenes of the under pressure video, anyone knows of what films or sources they are? I know the scenes from Nosferatu.
Also I have another version of UP video, with differents scenes.
Sorry for my bad english.

Drowse1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 153 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 12:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Under Pressure video that was made in the 80's was, I believe, taken from BBC stock news footage plus other odds & ends. Queen & Bowie were unavailable for Top of the Pops or some other BBC show so they made up the film themselves and Queen/Bowie liked it enough to allow it's use permanently with the song. At least that's what I heard. Maybe someone else knows better?

I reign with my left hand, I rule with my right.
ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1021 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 06, 20:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think some "scenes" are from "Dracula", the really old one...?

Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
javielete user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 78 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 06, 04:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What scenes are from 'The Battleship Potemkin`?

Voice of Reason 2014 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1059 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 06, 08:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the booklet for Flix Two might help - and even contradict some of what's been said here already.

"Build your muscles as your body decays!"
Mr Faron Hyte user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 565 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 06, 10:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color="red">Peter Cetera</b> wrote:

"Nosferatu" is definitely right, another one or two scenes in the video are from the 1931 horror film "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" by Paramount Pictures (the one where a sort of beast man looks into the camera).

That's incorrect. That footage came from an earlier silent version of "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" starring John Barrymore, which you can see here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0011130/
I assume its in the public domain.

The 1931 version was a talkie and starred Fredrick March, which you can see here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022835/
I believe Mr. March won an Academy Award for his performance in that film, which is still under copyright protection.

But a quick look at the stills from both movies evidences which was used in the "Under Pressure" video.

SilverShoes user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 128 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 06, 10:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Drowse1 wrote:

The Under Pressure video that was made in the 80's was, I believe, taken from BBC stock news footage plus other odds & ends. Queen & Bowie were unavailable for Top of the Pops or some other BBC show so they made up the film themselves and Queen/Bowie liked it enough to allow it's use permanently with the song. At least that's what I heard. Maybe someone else knows better?

I never heard it being done for Top Of The Pops, but I do remember reading somewhere that the video was done as it was because they couldn't get Bowie and Queen together in one place to shoot a video together.

Brian said it was banned in a lot of places because of the heavy use of newsreel footage (presumably, mainly refering to the riot footage they used). I remember MTV playing it a lot back in 82-83, but if what Brian says is true, they must have been one of the few to show it.

BTW, I remember back in the early 90's, seeing a really weird version of the video on VH-1, where they replaced all the silent movie footage with video footage with lots of weird video effects on them. You couldn't actually really see what it was that you were seeing because of the effects.

"Compromise? That word is not in our vocabulary"-Roger Taylor, quoting Freddie Mercury