Forums > Personal > What is wrong with the Queenzone community?

forum rss feed
Author

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Nov 06, 07:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi folks, we all have a feeling that the QZ forums are not what they should be to put it mildly. I have been thinking about reasons why the forums lost their easy going, slightly crazy and chaotic but still funny and entertaining atmosphere it used to have. I don't want to blame individiual people, just point out some issues I noticed and most of all I want to ask you to turn around the direction and make QZ what it used to be: the funniest, craziest but nicest Queen community.

Here are some problems:

- the trolls: I recently posted a link to a website explaining trolls and what makes them tick. However, trolls are not the main problem in my opinion

- lack of respect and egotism: we have loads of posts telling us that the topic starter just cut his/her nails and is brushing their teeth now. How intersting! And how thoughtless to clog the board with such useless crap. Lack of respect is also using some English-like short speak which is hard to follow by non-English speakers. Of course, it's also lack of respect to call other users a name because they disagree on an issue.

- name changes and taking fights to the boards. We have users who change their nicks every week and are only known to their MSN or myspace friends. They create acommunity within the community excluding non- MSN users and non-myspavce users. They actually slowly destroy the community by alienating regualr forum users who visit the forum and do not know a single user. Also, there are a lot of fights taken on the forum which originate in MSN or myspace, where they should stay in my opinion.

- bullying. Lately we have a lot of bullying topics when users start threads about other users telling the QZ community about some alleged misbehaviour - often in combination with the above because the alleged misbehaviour often occurs on MSN or myspace. Regular users do not care if user A has received an unwanted email by user B.

-laziness and uninteresting topics. Many topic starters want to discuss an issue but they do not really start it. Often the initial post just contains a link to a news article or a youtube video and no real discussion develops because people just answer with basic comments like "Hahah" "I saw that already on site xyz" and other very basic comments. Also the fantasy of some users is limited to ever reposting the "Queenie above you" threads. Apparently, there are a lot of fights within these threads which are not noticed by users who never open. them (like me)

- the mass exodus of regulars. As a result of all the above many regular Queenzoners have stopped posting and I ask them to reclaim the board as we used to do in similar situations.

There are more problems but I only want to start a discussion and invite all users to help improving the boards. Please post your ideas and maybe tell us how you want to contribute to make the boards better.

Here is what I will do: I'll delete all trolls as soon as I spot them and if they return I'll take legal action. If someone opens a 4th or 5th account with the same old annoying behaviour, he will be deleted.

I will also delete all bully posts as described above. If you have a personal fight with another user, use emails or instant message programmes but not Queenzone to fight your fights.

I will do that to give the good people of QZ a chance to rebuild the community, not because I have nothing better to do with my time or am on a power trip. To do something positive I'll start a new thread to get to know all the name changers I really do not know but might be worth knowing.

I do not want any google ads here.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 21 Nov 06, 07:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No profile changes more than one time at month, no signatures longer than 50 symbols, no nicknames' changes more than one time a month, no overquoting and let's hang someone in the end!

Serry, QZer since January 17th 2002

eenaweena. user not visiting Queenzone.com
eenaweena.
Deity: 2355 posts

Posted: 21 Nov 06, 07:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hm... i'm so sorry. i feel guilty for posting some of the useless threads, and for posting at fight threads.

i think that to avoid more fights... i don't know. fights can't really be avoided.

as for the trolls, don't give them any more chances. the 5th should porbably be the last. :)

once again, i apologize for my misbehavior.

AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 21 Nov 06, 11:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All good ideas, Barb. I have to say, even though I haven't really been in the QZ community for long, I've noticed a change just from May of 05, when I joined, to now. A lot of junk and random crap is being posted all over the place, and I know I definately don't come onto this website as much as I did when I started here...to quote a good friend of mine from here, it's a bit like picking through a garbage can, trying to find good things and good threads to reply to.
I'm doing about the only thing I can do...starting threads I think are interesting and are giving people things to talk about, having healthy and respectful debates with people, and for the most part not bothering with some of the random threads posted by others. I wish there was more I could do, but I don't think there is.

Formerly MHG
Haystacks Calhoun II user not visiting Queenzone.com
Haystacks Calhoun II
Bohemian: 930 posts

Posted: 21 Nov 06, 11:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bring Back Baer!!!!!!

At least when he spammed the joint, it was funny.

The Golden Gate Bridge should have a long bungee cord for people who aren’t quite ready to commit suicide but want to get in a little practice.
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 21 Nov 06, 12:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

- lack of respect and egotism

- name changes and taking fights to the boards.

- bullying.

Now, that is just a bunch of bullshit.

JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP BEFORE I GO THERE AND BEAT THE SHIT OUTTA YA!

>:-P

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 21 Nov 06, 12:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Barb! I'll do my part. I would love it if people were not allowed to change their nicknames without approval from you or Richard first. I have no clue who anyone is anymore and I feel like some people don't want others to know who they are so they can behave like trolls.

Apart from the changing nicknames everyday, I can live with/sort through the rest of the shit.

;)

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 21 Nov 06, 12:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would just stop people changing their nicknames.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 21 Nov 06, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here are 4 things I think could help weed thru the troublemakers.

1. Institute an IQ test. Select 3-4 good QZ members to submit a 10 question common-sense test. Not stuff you can look up on the internet, but questions that will determite your idiocy. Allow a little latitude for some...

2. A new forum section: Queenzone Daycare. A place you could move topics and lunacy created by said whipper-snappers. Maybe after seeing all their threads in "time-out", they'll get the hint.

3. Change the usernames yourself, Barb. If my ID name keeps changing to "Waste of Time #37", I'd take the hint.

4. Institute "English" as the official language of Queenzone. If you wanna talk to someone in Farsi, Spanish, Dutch or whatever, get an MSN account... a cell phone... a piece of paper and a stamp...

Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts

Posted: 21 Nov 06, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know where to start..

Personally, I think some people on this forum need to pace themselves with the amount they post. Having been here a little over a year myself, when I look at my post count I think I’ve over-posted, but there are some who’ve been here little over a couple of months and their post counts are nearly double mine. I have nothing against this. However, I think people should think before they post replies that just say 'LOL' or 'XD'.

I feel that after the second 'Queenie above you' thread the whole idea started to wear a bit thin. I know I am occasionally guilty of posting in it but I know it isn’t an interesting thread. It contains nothing of interest to those who aren't directly involved in it. I'm not quite sure what to do to better this situation, other than giving a limit to how many new 'Queenie Above You' threads are allowed to be posted per month, because at present they’re getting through about 2 per week. I also know that many of those who use this thread as a chat topic talk on MSN anyway, which makes it all the more pointless.

I also think it should be made clear somewhere on the forum that it is unacceptable to use shorthand English because even as a native English speaker, I spend a while translating it, so for those who don't speak English well, it must be nearly impossible.

I think people should also respect each other's views. I have often seen a relatively tame discussion turn into an exchange of swearing and name calling after somebody has decided they don't agree with what someone has said. So, what I'm saying is that I think that some on here need to have a more mature attitude instead of calling somebody 'stupid' because they don't share the same views.

Just looking at the Personal section now, on the first page I can see about 8 of what I would describe useless topics. Appreciation threads.. Threads people have started by mistake that people have posted on anyway.. Threads full of utter nonsense.. But the pinnacle of uselessness is the 'Queenie Above You Thread' .. There is no logic to it.. If you were walking down a street you wouldn't comment on the person in front of you, it's stupid.

I know I'm sometimes guilty of posting utter crap but I try to keep most of my stupidity in my blog and I suggest those who feel the need to post what they've had for lunch, on Queen Zone get a blog (or, preferably, a life..), and those who post repeatedly on 'The Queenie Above You Thread', keep it to MSN.

Anyway, what ever happened to the 'Nonsense Forum' idea?

beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 21 Nov 06, 12:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry...

I agree with you totally on the overquoting issue.

But I didn't want to quote you on order to say that. ;)

(I'm being serious, though. I do agree).

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
YourValentine

Posted: 21 Nov 06, 12:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The thing is: it's not against the rules to change the nicknames. Some old timers regularly change their nicks but maybe once a year and not once a week. I really want to do my share but I cannot save the board if the users do not apply the tiniest common sense and courtesy. I hope that the name changers introduce themselves in my other thread and keep their names for a while so we have a chance to get to know each other. The anonymity promotes the troll-dom and people do not feel responsible for the damage they do to the QZ community. I am sure that most of the newer users do not realise this and we need to explain it to them.

Of course, there is a percentage of bullies and idiots who cannot be reached but a healthy community can tolerate them.

Actually, I am already afraid that I am surpassing the attention span of some users...

Starting interesting threads and patiently explaining rules to people will sure help.

YourValentine

Posted: 21 Nov 06, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@ Poppy - the nonsense forum is not off the table but Richard has not responded to the idea. I suppose he wants us to sort out the problems ourselves. He did create the blogs to take some of the personal topics off the forums and give people another place to rant. But did it help? Not really I have to say. Baby sitting is not the solution, it's more about appealing to the community and maybe really get rid of those who spoil the fun for the rest of us. I am still convinced that a lot of the problems are created by people who have no idea they are causing a problem.

The "Queenie above you" threads do not bother me that much because it HAS to get boring after a while. I never open them, it's easy to ignore them. The people who post there at least open new threads and do not create 400 pages which would probably be easy.

carboengine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1283 posts

Posted: 21 Nov 06, 13:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would encourage Queenzoners to use as long a description as possible in the subject line so a quick glance would tell the viewer if the subject might be of interest to them. Think of it as a newspaper (not a headline, but a subheadline.) For instance, on 9-11, one of our newspaper's headline was in huge, bold, thick print: UNBELIEVABLE! The subheadline was something like: Terrorists strike New York City and Washington D.C. with four hijacked planes.

I see for this Forum Personal category there is one sticky, and it is about a chat room. How about adding three stickies (all the same or change them occasionally) to each Forum category with a subject line that reminds users on how to conduct themselves on the board. The user would probably not actually click on the sticky; however, if so done, there would be an explanation of the subject line. I am thinking that the sticky subject lines would be more like affirmations, or positive thinking, or even good "brainwashing." Quick reminders. Such as:

. Respect other's opinions as you express your own.
. Caution: There are children onboard. Please use age-appropriate language.
. Use full English as best as you can.
. Queenzone.com is free to all users. You are a welcome guest.
. You are unique, and you are posting to the world. Let the world get to know you.
. YouTube links: Please tell us in a few words or sentences what it is about.
. Monitor yourself online. No matter what your age, you are mature enough.
. Self-moderation is the answer.

Even though users would skip looking at the stickies, the eyes and brain register things subconsciously that we are not even aware of. I would think two or three stickies per Forum category would be enough. Perhaps you could try this in the Personal category and see if you get any positive results over time.

P.S. I kind of like the general comments such as "haha." It shows appreciation for the initiator and/or those who reply. Also, it keeps an amusing , interesting, or noteworthy subject alive and on page 1. (I usually only look on page 1 and 2.)

I think a "youtube" link would be much better if it was accompanied with a description so the viewer doesn't waste time looking at something s/he has seen before. I love youtube!

Yes, it was a worthwhile experience.
Ale Solan user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sod off.
Ale Solan
Deity: 8973 posts

Posted: 21 Nov 06, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm glad to see you're finally "accepting" new people Barbara. And I really hope you finally realized how exactly was my situation about leaving QZ - THE REASONS - why I did it.

I hope your initiative to "improve" the general behavior here gives FINALLY results. Maybe you people are right about the nicknames changing, how often, etc etc etc and blah blah blah, but... what I always thought that it would do a mayor improvement to the already devastated site and forum in general is stopping spammers, trolls (I hope you finally really know the meaning of that word thanks to that QOL post Barbara) and others by deleting their aggressive posts. I assume you always thought that was censorship - "censorship" in its vainest meaning since we're talking about a forum, not a scientific discussion magazine talking about Nobel awards nominees - no-one is gonna sue you or Richard if you delete a post made by an idiot who only wants to fight; OR if you're really worried about the site's visitors traffic and popularity but keeping the worthwhile people around and kicking the useless morons out, that's okay too Barbara.

That's all we all ever wanted, posting an interesting subject or comment regularly here and there without having a post below yours insulting you just because you think different that person (ThomasQuinn's syndrome)

That should be the final solution for a better "community": deleting the idiots and bullyiers and their posts.

I'll stay around to watch the results. If you manage to handle the site and bring it to better times like 6 or 7 years ago, I'll recover the respect I had for you Barb. I wish you all the best in this tough job of cleaning QZ up and make it the nice place it used to be for some of us.

AC user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1838 posts

Posted: 21 Nov 06, 13:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'll try to do my part.

That time will come, one day you'll see that i'll be dead and you will laugh!
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 21 Nov 06, 13:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I posted about this a few months ago, titled "A Modest Proposal", which people saw as typical idiocy on my part instead of what it was meant to be: satire. I certainly don't remember what it was about, and I have no intention of searching for it, but just observing this board recently, I do see that it's turned into a virtual chatroom with oversexed people (guys and girls, teenagers and young adults, etc.) going on about how lonely and/or horny they are.

Why does this need to be posted on the board? There are so many other outlets - including a chat room, blogs, emails, and messanger programs - where people can flirt relentlessly and not clutter up the board with their useless crap. Also, I find the "Queenie Above You - Electric Boogaloo" threads to be useless, even though I never click on them; I guess I'm just questioning their existence in general.

Yes, the Personal Section is stated as saying "To post whatever you like" or something along those lines, but why can't we have another subforum - like we have General Queen Discussion and Serious Queen Discussion, why not have a General Personal Forum and a Serious Personal Forum? And how about a Queenzoners forum, where users can introduce themselves and hold polls, threads about personal things, etc.? I think the Personal forum is far too broad; a major reconstruction with some new subforums added would be the most logical solution, I think.

edit: maybe an idea would be to structure the forums as such:

QUEEN
- General Discussion
- Serious Discussion
- Q+PR

SHARING THE MUSIC
- Announce
- Request
- Fan Mixes

PERSONAL
- Introduction
- General Discussion
- Serious Discussion
- About QZers

QUEENZONE
- Announcements
- News
- FAQ

something like that?

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 21 Nov 06, 14:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

I posted about this a few months ago, titled "A Modest Proposal" I have no intention of searching for it

I have. http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=865065

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 21 Nov 06, 14:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

Lester Burnham wrote:

I posted about this a few months ago, titled "A Modest Proposal" I have no intention of searching for it

I have. http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=865065

I knew I could count on you :) Do you have these things bookmarked or are you just incredibly quick with searches?

Ale Solan user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sod off.
Ale Solan
Deity: 8973 posts

Posted: 21 Nov 06, 14:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Russian people is quick for everything except to kick Putin outta there.