Forums > Personal > What kind of music did you grow up with?

forum rss feed
Author

Gone. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 7178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Nov 06, 00:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What kind of music did you grow up listening to? Like, your parents, grandparents etc...

Like for me:

My (step) dad was a Jazz person...so I grew up listening to Jazz (unfortunately :P)

Groups like: Chick Correa, Jaco Pastorius, Gino Vanelli, Santana, Weather Report, Frank Sinatra (A LOT)...etc etc...and he was also a HUGE Led Zeppelin fan O_O...So...on and on....all I would sometimes hear is LED ZEPPELIN AND LED ZEPPELIN AND LED ZEPPELIN...

My mom was a "hippie", so...I often heard bands like : Cheap Trick, Pink Floyd, Queen (YAY! :D), Led Zeppelin (cough), The Beatles.......and a bunch of classical music.....like Mozart and Beethoven....etc....

SO....yeah........sorry for such a stupid topic...but I'm interested...and curious...:P

Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 06, 01:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I grew up on, for the most part, the music I listen to now. Stuff like Queen (always a big part of my life), Meat Loaf, etc.

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
I♥The80's user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1916 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 06, 03:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I grew up listening to classical music, not only listening but playing it too xD That's all my mom listened to....
My dad....God this is weird....anyways, all he liked was Hotel California so basically that's the only 'song' I grew up with....lol
and thanks to my brother I started getting into classic rock a while ago!
oh I also grew up listening to some horrible russian pop....:S:S:S but that was because of my uncle xD

I is Tamara. ;)

>_> I'll stop changing my name now....

MSN address: lil_ruski_violinist@hotmail.com
Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 06, 03:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mommy liked Elvis, Charlie Rich, John Denver and Barry Manilow. Daddy liked Willie Nelson. Then stepdad came along. He liked Queen, Jimi Hendrix, Santana, Jethro Tull, The Eagles, Alan Parsons...

So I grew up hearing a wide variety of stuff and my first personal musical tastes included Hall & Oates, Donna Summer, Diana Ross, Queen, Village People.. I basically became a music consumer just as disco was dying and it appealed to me a great deal, and of course it was Another One Bites the Dust that really got me into Queen.

And I still enjoy a bit of all of that.

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 06, 06:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My dad: Reggea and soul.
My mum: 70s 80s Pop, Rock N Roll.
Older Brother: Hip Hop, RnB and Rap.

So basically a mixture of everything....

VH1 helped by introducing me to Queen and other Classic Rock bands.

eenaweena. user not visiting Queenzone.com
eenaweena.
Deity: 2355 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 06, 06:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

father: random stuff, mostly classical music, OPM and 70's rock.

mother: jazz, the old kind of RNB, pop, disco, 80's music. FYI: she knows body language, but she didn't know it was by Queen.

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 06, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Michael Jackson when he was still black and his music didn't suck.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]

Posted: 23 Nov 06, 11:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

Michael Jackson when he was still black and his music didn't suck.

LMAO xD Heheheheheh ;D

The prophet's song user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1044 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 06, 18:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I grew up with Queen, Annie Lennox, Dragon, Eric Clapton and dare I admit it, the Spice Girls. At my school, you were either in club Spice Girls or club B*Witched. How sad is that!

"Either this kid has a lightbulb up his ass or his colon has a great idea"
SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 06, 20:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bob Dylan,Queen,Beatles(And Solo stuff),Rolling Stones,David Bowie,The Who etc etc

Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 06, 23:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My favorites when I was younger were Madonna, Prince, Michael Jackson, and Cyndi Lauper. My parents liked all 60s stuff.

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 06, 23:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My mom is a pianist and organist - so lots of classical music as well as piano lessons for me, of course. I listened to so much music - but just stuff on the radio mostly ... not until Queen did I want to get all the music of one group.

Maruga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Maruga
Royalty: 1705 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 06, 08:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let me see...

Latin rock, like Soda Stereo, Los Prisioneros, etc...
Music from the 60's (yeah, i'm not that old, but my parents listened that kind of music).

Life Is A Bitch...

Posted: 24 Nov 06, 08:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=orange><b>Freddies son</b wrote:

I grew up with Queen because my Mum is a Diehard Queen fan

Ah! That's SO awesome ;D Lucky...

Raststätte-Knödel user not visiting Queenzone.com
Eppiekleppie
Raststätte-Knödel
Bohemian: 425 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 06, 10:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

smurfs and more such childish songs

Kunst-Raststätte
danny1 34933 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 596 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 06, 13:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, my mother has always been a beatles fan, she still almost faints at the sight of Paul Mcartney! And she liked country stuff like Willie Nelson, Kenny Rogers, and Dolly Parton, when i was a kid. My fathers side of the family mostly likes spanish music.

7 seas of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1817 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 06, 14:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*cries* I grew up listening to..the Backstreet Boys and Brittany Spears! *cries more*
My childhood is such a sad story..no good music..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdoo21lvza8

^greatest video ever made

"If I get the answer wrong, you can kick me in the nuts" -Sean

I am the most obsessed Queen fan.
AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 06, 23:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When I was really little, my parents listened to what would be called now "Adult Easy Listening"...you know, Phil Collins, Elton John, that kind of stuff. When I was about 14 or so they both switched over to country, so I grew up mostly with country western stuff. Now that I'm out of the house, Mom is going back into her 60's stuff (Hall and Oates, etc) and Dad is sticking pretty much with country, although he does venture into classic rock (I recently found a Led Zepplin CD in his car!) and getting back to his childhood with trumpet music (Chris Botti mainly).
Me, I grew up listening mostly to the "new" stuff that was coming out at the time...typical 80's and 90's Pop and boy bands (yes..that includes NKOTB). But I had cousins who listened to Metallica, and I got into Queen when I was around 15 or so. I still have a soft spot in my heart for Chorales, Masses and Arias, along with Broadway. But as a general rule, now I'm getting into the older classic rock (although I'm still a sucker for Power Ballads of the 80's). About the only thing I won't listen to is rap (it isn't music), jazz (my brain can't follow it) and anything older than about 1955.

Formerly MHG
Vincent. user not visiting Queenzone.com
What?
Vincent.
Deity: 2553 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 06, 23:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

when i was little i listened to the backstreet boys alot..... i even went to a concert, whoa...

I was into that whole punk rock thing, Fall Out Boy, Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, etc... when I first heard Another one bites the dust... I then asked my father if he had a Queen cd... his answer was a 20 year old cassette...so i popped it in the boombox and jammed... i ws immmediately brought to my senses the rest is history

mola user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 11 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 07:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First, I would like to say hello to all of you, because I'm new at this wonderful place :)

My early years are the years of The beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, the Rolling Stones, Michael Jackson, Elton John, Ozzy Osbourne, Elvis Presley and Queen ofcourse :)
And I thank my parents for that :)
Than I started to listen to all this pop crap, but it lasted only for a few years and I came back to rock agai :) When I ask any Queen fan about his "music history", they say nearly the same :)

life is a bitch