Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Let's settle this once and for all! (Freddie's voice)

forum rss feed
Author

SomebodyWhoLoves user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 842 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 07:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let's settle this once and for all.

Can someone please write a letter to Brian May, and ask him how he would classify Freddie's voice as either Tenor or Baritone?

I am too shy to do it myself but I am very interested to know what Mr Brian May thinks!

Thanks!

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 07:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dr May isn't an expert on that department. He wouldn't know more than a vocal coach, or than Montserrat Caballe.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
s.m. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 291 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 08:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Dr May isn't an expert on that department.

like that ever stopped him before lol

She was my lover

It was a shame that she died

But the constitution´s right on my side

Cos I cought my lover in my neighbours bed

I got retribution, filled´em full of lead
masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 09:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you can ask that to a LOT of people instead of Brian May...

:S

Queen rocks!
~im a fool~ user not visiting Queenzone.com
~im a fool~
Bohemian: 876 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 10:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ill ask brian if you want me to. but only if you really want me to.

your words. not mine.
beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 12:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All that would accomplish would be to settle how *Brian* would classify Freddie's voice.

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really want to know what Mr Brian May thinks.

If he says Freddie is a baritone, I'll change my opinion and accept Freddie as a baritone.

I think Brian May is extremely qualified to answer this question definitively.

Those who are more brave than I am, and are curious about this, please write to Brian May at his website, and report back!

Thanks!

Hooligan's Holiday user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hooligan's Holiday
Royalty: 1002 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 17:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm pretty sure that Freddie's a tenor, but hell - what do I know? 'Cause isn't baritone like REALLY low?

We are, we are the saints

We signed our life away

Doesn't matter what you think

We're gonna do it anyway

We are, we are the saints

One day you will confess

And pray to the

Saints of Los Angeles
user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 18:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He's a baritenor.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
sparrow 21754 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1947 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 18:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ya know, brian would only have opinion. yes he was in the music buisness, but i doubt he knows much on voice class, so emailing him wont solve your problem. montserrat would know more as said in the previous thread, and no your opinion that brian would certainly know more because he knew freddie more personally would be incorrect on the true classification of freddies voice. no offence to brian or you SombodyWhoLoves

i personally think he LEANS more towards tenor, with baritone abilities.

why pay the visit when the visit is free?

"this shitty guitar wont play what i want! it only knows three chords!"
inmydefence user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 200 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 20:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ya know, brian would only have opinion. yes he was in the music buisness, but i doubt he knows much on voice class, so emailing him wont solve your problem. montserrat would know more as said in the previous thread, and no your opinion that brian would certainly know more because he knew freddie more personally would be incorrect on the true classification of freddies voice. no offence to brian or you SombodyWhoLoves

i personally think he LEANS more towards tenor, with baritone abilities.

Read up!! brian and roger both knew alot about the technical side of singing, breathing techniques etc.. and were a little concerned when freddie first joined the band as to whether or not freddie fully understood the technical aspects to singing! but as you'd expect from the perfectionist freddie was, he soon learnt up!

its not difficult to distinguish i baritone from a tenor if you know anything about singing! freddie was a baritone who used to push his voice to sing is a tenor range! its not uncommon!

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18633 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 21:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=666600>Music Man wrote:

He's a baritenor.

Aha! I KNEW you'd agree with me!

But isn't baritenor kind of a slang term for being half way? I've never heard it used "officially".

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 21:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think that his vocal range was so wide that it's stupid to classify it in the first place.

Edit:

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

He's a baritenor.

Aha! I KNEW you'd agree with me!

But isn't baritenor kind of a slang term for being half way? I've never heard it used "officially".

Me neither. I don't even know exactly what it means, but I do believe that his vocal range encompasses both the baritone and tenor range, so I thought it would be an apt title for him.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18633 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 21:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Me neither. I don't even know exactly what it means, but I do believe that his vocal range encompasses both the baritone and tenor range, so I thought it would be an apt title for him.

Yeah, that was my rationale, too. But in the end, I think it really doesn't matter - or at least, certainly not to the point of requiring all of this discussion.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 21:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Although his speaking voice naturally fell in the baritone range, his singing voice was that of a tenor. His recorded vocal range spanned nearly four octaves (falsetto included), with his lowest recorded note being the F below the bass clef and his highest recorded note being the D that lies nearly four octaves above. In addition to vocal range, Mercury often delivered technically difficult songs in a powerful manner. However, due in part to the fact that he suffered from vocal nodules (for which he declined surgery), he would often lower the highest notes during many concerts. Mercury also claimed that he never had any formal vocal training.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
~im a fool~ user not visiting Queenzone.com
~im a fool~
Bohemian: 876 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 21:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i just emailed brian may on the topic. you can also email him at:

brians.soapbox@clara.co.uk

good luck!

your words. not mine.
unknown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 400 posts

Posted: 26 Nov 06, 02:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

im a fool wrote:

good luck!

I emailed him already, but that was quite a while ago when this topic reocurred again... but he did not reply.
I am sad that some of you do not believe the opinions of fully classically trained singers like Monserrat Caballé, since 'right' singing and any kind of art is based on classic.

rosedewitt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts

Posted: 26 Nov 06, 05:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=B22222>daria k. wrote:

im a fool wrote:

good luck!

I emailed him already, but that was quite a while ago when this topic reocurred again... but he did not reply.
I am sad that some of you do not believe the opinions of fully classically trained singers like Monserrat Caballé, since 'right' singing and any kind of art is based on classic.

very well said!

i would say freddie has a tenor voice and not a baritone, his speaking voice is not dark enough and his voice isn't so "full" on the low tones to call him a baritone (sorry but it's very difficult for me to describe that in english...).
and i doubt it seriously that you hear a professionell opinion from brian may about freddies voice.

i wouldn't say he's a "koloraturheldenbariton", his voice is not sharp enough for that.
i think he's a tenor with a large amplitude on the voice.

Posted: 26 Nov 06, 05:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rosedewitt:

Do you realize that you are disagreeing with "daria k" by stating your opinion that Freddie had a tenor voice?

"daria k" has stated in the past that only a classically trained singer like Monserrat Caballe is qualified to classify Freddie Mercury's voice. Monserrat has classified Freddie Mercury's voice as a baritone.

On the contrary, I believe that Brian May, Roger Taylor, and John Deacon are more qualified than Monserrat to know Freddie's voice best, since they have spent 20+ years recording, writing, performing with him. Not only that, but they are also brilliant musicians, songwriters, and vocalists. They are the ones who know Freddie's voice the best.

And I believe that they will all unanimously state that Freddie was a TENOR without question. A baritone voice could not have sung Bohemian Rhapsody, White Queen, March of the Black Queen, Save Me, or other countless Queen songs that were written for a Tenor voice.

I hope that Brian May can clear this up, and will respond to the questions raised.

rosedewitt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts

Posted: 26 Nov 06, 06:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yes i agree with you that the others from queen maybe knew his voice best because they heard it so often, but they are not professionell singers and can say anything professionell about freddies voice, only how it sounded to them or how they felt when they heard it, you know, only personal opinions.

well i guess freddie didn't care what kind of voice he had, he just sang what he could sing and didn't think while composing or singing "hummmm when i am a baritone, i have to change that because a baritone can't sing that...".

well i can live with my disagreement with daria k. and don't care that our opinions on freddies voice are different :)