Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Did smoking affect Roger's singing voice over the years?

forum rss feed
Author

carboengine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1283 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

... and it's a wonder that Brian is still healthy after inhaling all of that second-hand smoke, especially in the studios.

Yes, it was a worthwhile experience.
rosedewitt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 15:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

roger has a singing voice? i wouldn't call it even a voice...

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rosedewitt wrote:

That would be to do with the fact that you know squat about music then.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 16:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I LOVE roger's voice, I think he did a great job on the tours. I dont think smoking has changed it to much, it still sounds great to me. Say It's Not True is great live, I like his live voice alot.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rosedewitt wrote:

Edit: I changed my mind, ignoring this would be more appropiate.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 18:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

rosedewitt wrote:

That would be to do with the fact that you know squat about music then.

well you're funny... but i can't laugh about it either. to make it clear: the fact that i am a musician doesn't mean that i know everything about music.
well and i was just wondering cos people talk about caballes voice, domingos voice, pavarottis voice, callas voice, ... and roger taylors "voice"?! just think a moment about it.. :P

rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 19:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

so according to you anything not opera isnt a voice? Pfft, Freddie didnt have an operatic voice, but he CERTIANLY had an amazing voice. Roger has quite a nice one too.

SaveMe09 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 43 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 20:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

anybody know if he still smokes?

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18633 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 21:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rosedewitt wrote:

well and i was just wondering cos people talk about caballes voice, domingos voice, pavarottis voice, callas voice, ... and roger taylors "voice"?! just think a moment about it.. :P

Well, obviously Roger isn't in that group. So are you going to discount all raspy-sounding singers? If so, then I guess Janis Joplin, Melissa Ethridge, Bonnie Tyler, and Rod Stewart have to go, too.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 21:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SaveMe09 wrote:

Rog gave up smoking in 1987. fact

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
eenaweena. user not visiting Queenzone.com
eenaweena.
Deity: 2355 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 06, 21:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hm... i guess it did. come on, after A Day At The Races or Jazz (i think) he couldn't do the falsettos he used to do. ex: The March Of The Black Queen. there were less falsettos onward their career, especially in the 80's. :)

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 26 Nov 06, 00:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scott_Mercury wrote:

SaveMe09 wrote:

Rog gave up smoking in 1987. fact

PROOF?

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 26 Nov 06, 03:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd hang someone if Pavarotti will ever dare to sing I'm In Love With My Car...

Posted: 26 Nov 06, 05:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i can also compare his singing with other rocksingers like cohen, sinatra, stewart, mercury, ... he would also fail, because he hasn't got a voice, the only thing he's doing is screaming and not singing. i don't understand why you feel offended, - roger is a drummer, a great drummer, but he can't sing. it seems to me that you want the person you like doing everything fantastic, but that's so far away from reality.

Posted: 26 Nov 06, 05:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You've named Stewart whose voice is very similar to Roger's...

Well - because we don't see the criterions of comparing Roger's voice with voices of opera singers (especially female singers). Because it's impossible to compare Roger's voice with voices of other rock singers. Whose voice is better Caballe's or Pavarotti's? Can you please answer? By your judgement over 95% of rock singers are not singers at all...

"Roger Taylor has greater facility for the high tones, he has a great falsetto voice. He is the one that produces the classical screams in the choirs of Queen. Roger is the one that reaches the tones over the F4, the High F, more easily. In the culminating part of the operatic section in 'Bohemian Rhapsody', Roger produces the famous Bb4 in the end." - by Andres

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3036 posts

Posted: 26 Nov 06, 07:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saying that Roger Taylor only screams and doesn't sing is absolutely ludicrous. 'I'm, In Love With My Car' is one of the truly great rock vocals which, if it had been recorded by, for example Steven Tyler or Rod Stewart, would be praised to high heaven.

Rod Stewart is a comporable name that keeps coming up - in the early Faces days he certainly was a gret vocalist, but over the years both his voice, and the choice of material he has chosen to sing with it, have both declined badly. In addition, his pitching is pretty poor now compared to the old days.

I actually remember Roger saying in a recent interview that although his falsetto ability has declined over the years (the high stuff such as in Bo Rhap, In The Lap Of The Gods etc..), his actual full range has extended and he can get higher in his stronger 'true' voice before having to resort to falsetto. I think a good example of this is the chorus harmonies in No-One But You on the lines "they're only flying too close to the sun".

In addition, Paul Rodgers has repeatedly said in recent interviews that when he started working with Queen not only was he taken aback with how brilliant Roger is as a drummer, but he is also an amazing vocalist in his own right too - sounds like good enough praise from someone often referred to as one of the greatest British singers of all time.

Posted: 26 Nov 06, 08:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well you can't convince me and backwards, - in my opinion roger should stay behind his drumset and keep his mouth shut, in your opinion he probably should have replaced freddie mercury, - well let's leave everyone's opinion stay.

btw i mentioned rod stewart because he was mentioned before, - in my opinion he hasn't got a good voice. and yes, there are just very few singers in rock-/pop music who have really a good voice.

however, when you're yourself a singer you get very critical with the others voices, that's maybe why you don't understand me.

Posted: 26 Nov 06, 09:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry Vietinhoff wrote:

"Roger Taylor has greater facility for the high tones, he has a great falsetto voice. He is the one that produces the classical screams in the choirs of Queen. Roger is the one that reaches the tones over the F4, the High F, more easily. In the culminating part of the operatic section in 'Bohemian Rhapsody', Roger produces the famous Bb4 in the end." - by Andres

ok, the little son of my aunt (2 years old) can also "produce" the Bb4, - and? the amplitude for a voice is never a criteria for a good voice. we have to accept that roger taylor is not a singer, some have the voice for singing, but he hasn't. (btw it's not the Bb4 but the Bb3 he is screaming in boh rhap, it's count the Bb4 cos he is male but that's wrong, in fact it's still the Bb3, - it's beside the point but still a fact)

Posted: 26 Nov 06, 09:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You're avoiding my question - who's better Cabale or Pavarotti (if you are singer yourself - you'd NEVER compare other singers to each other...)? Who's better - the proffessional well trained orchestra drummer who touches timpani two times during 2-hours symphony or former ukulele player from The Reaction band Roger Taylor?

Just give us criterions of 'good' voice. If you use opera standards then it's ridiculous, because if I'd use rock standards for drummers, for instance, then ALL drummers from ALL philarmonic orchestras can't play on their f*cking instrument and my 1 years old neighbour can play better (as well as Ringo was crappy drummer, Macca is crappy bassist, but hey - they are still The Beatles!)

Fiendishly Yours user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 49 posts

Posted: 26 Nov 06, 09:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rosedewitt wrote:

Serry Vietinhoff wrote:

ok, the little son of my aunt (2 years old) can also "produce" the Bb4, - and? the amplitude for a voice is never a criteria for a good voice. we have to accept that roger taylor is not a singer, some have the voice for singing, but he hasn't. (btw it's not the Bb4 but the Bb3 he is screaming in boh rhap, it's count the Bb4 cos he is male but that's wrong, in fact it's still the Bb3, - it's beside the point but still a fact)

Amplitude may not be good criteria for a voice, but what about control? I've always thought that Roger has great control over his singing, seeing as he can quickly and accurately change from low to high notes fast as lighting and still be considered in tune. (See Bo. Rhap. See MotBQ. Etc.) I highly doubt that a two-year-old can be credited with having control over his high-pitched shrieking, because without control, shrieking is just what it is. ;D

'Love to you, Mr. Taylor.

Taylor-tastic!