Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Driven By You - Freddie version

forum rss feed
Author

theCro user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1056 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Nov 06, 18:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i'm getting really annoyed with few people who claim they have Driven By You - Freddie version...i was wondering if this really exist or its a hoax...anyway did Freddie ever heard Brian's demo or something about Driven By You

thanks!

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 06, 19:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie never recorded it. Ofcourse Freddie heard the song. It was released before he died, if i'm not mistaken.

He loved the song and encouraged Brian to work on it for his solo alubm instead of donating it to Queen

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 06, 01:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

It was released before he died, if i'm not mistaken.

You are mistaken. It was released on the next day after Freddie's death.

Posted: 30 Nov 06, 04:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry Vietinhoff wrote:

i'm sure he heard demo or full version before he died...

Posted: 30 Nov 06, 04:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well he at least heard a demo since he told Brian it was a great song.

But I guess the final take was done some time before the release. So I guess Freddie must've heard the final product

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

Voice of Reason 2014 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1059 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 06, 05:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

and Freddie probably heard it on the Ford ads that summer!

"Build your muscles as your body decays!"

Posted: 30 Nov 06, 07:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry Vietinhoff wrote:

i'm sure he heard demo or full version before he died...

i'm glad he heard it :)

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 06, 09:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sure I heard somewhere that Brian was told by Freddie to release the song and his album because it would be great publicity "dear"! Seriously, either it was from a video I've seen or somewhere else.

Adam.

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 06, 10:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

I'm sure I heard somewhere that Brian was told by Freddie to release the song and his album because it would be great publicity "dear"! Seriously, either it was from a video I've seen or somewhere else.

Adam.

I read that, and i think it was from a Brian interview.

He said he told Freddie he wasn´t shure to release the single in that period of time (since everybody knew Freddie wasn´t going to live through Christmas). According to him Freddie gave his suport to release it!

And Brian told this because after Freddie´s death the press started to say that Brian was taking advantage of the situation to launch is solo career!!- British press at it´s best!!!

Take care

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 06, 11:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie didn't say that to Brian, it was said to Jim Beach.

Freddie could hear that song on Expo '92 (October 1991).

bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 06, 16:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry Vietinhoff wrote:

Freddie didn't say that to Brian, it was said to Jim Beach.

Freddie could hear that song on Expo '92 (October 1991).

There's a passage mentioning the discussion between Freddie and Jim Beach in the band's official biography "Queen (As It Began)" by Jim Jenkins and Jacky Gunn.

Call it wishful thinking, but I really think that there IS a Freddie demo even if it is unpolished. I do believe that Freddie might have given it a try while working on the final sessions for "Made In Heaven".

GREEEEEEG!

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 06, 04:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think so (though I'd love to hear different!). Drive By You was written by Brian on request for the Ford Ad en later on re-worked (mostly lyric-wise) for his own album version.

Anyway this has always meant to be a song by Brian for the Ford ad - he was the one to be signed for that job so it was always clear that a release would be a 'solo'-job. There was just no reason for Freddie to record this other then recording as much as possible to leave behind for the band to work with - but they utilised Freddie's strengths to the limit already with other songs...

But indeed, I'd love to hear different.
WO IST DAS AAAARCHIVIST?! ;-)

Roy ® user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 597 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 06, 05:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jeroen wrote:

I don't think so (though I'd love to hear different!). Drive By You was written by Brian on request for the Ford Ad en later on re-worked (mostly lyric-wise) for his own album version.

Anyway this has always meant to be a song by Brian for the Ford ad - he was the one to be signed for that job so it was always clear that a release would be a 'solo'-job. There was just no reason for Freddie to record this other then recording as much as possible to leave behind for the band to work with - but they utilised Freddie's strengths to the limit already with other songs...

Das Archivist ist ein pippie machen, so don't expect an answer :)

But Greg allready stated that he didn`t ever heard an Freddie version. But if we can take that as a fact ??

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 06, 06:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also, since this song was connected to Ford, one could expext all kinds of legal issues if one wanted to release a different version entitled to another artist name.
Which would mean that Freddie singing it with whatever intend, would be probably useless as it would never be released anyway...
(But of course we don't know what was in the contract, so this is still heavy speculation).

Altogether - again I find it highly unlikely that Freddie was ever involved in an alternate recording of this song.

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 06, 18:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jeroen wrote:

That´s a very good point.

Even though i would love to hear it, i don´t think it happened at all!

Take care

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 02 Dec 06, 14:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hang on... what legal issues? If Brian did two different versions, 1 being the ford and 2 being the bri album version, how would there be legal issues? It's not like ford own anything to do with that song from 1991/2. If there is some legal entanglement looming over the prospect of a different version, what exactly is this legal issue. I think it's a helluva presumption to make about that song.

Adam.

Cwazy little thing user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 06, 07:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roy ® wrote:

jeroen wrote:

Das Archivist ist ein pippie machen, so don't expect an answer :)

But Greg allready stated that he didn`t ever heard an Freddie version. But if we can take that as a fact ??

If Greg says he's never heard it - thats good enough for me, but that doesnt mean it doesnt exist somewhere I guess, he just might never have heard it. Its probably in Brians loft....

Adventure Seeker on an empty street...

www.myspace.com/ampfirerock

Posted: 03 Dec 06, 10:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I seriously doubt that Brian has stacked tons of demos at his house.

If there would've been a Freddie version it would most likely be a proper studio recording. And since it was not recorded at Brians house (like home demo's etc) it's not likely that he has the original analog/digital or harddisk at his house.

Thomas Tønnesen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 432 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 06, 05:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Considering how sick Freddie was in that periode might also mean that he didnt have energy to do it... He struggled during the Innuendo og Made in Heaven sessions.... so... I mean, do you think he did it....??

I hope so, but...

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 06, 06:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thomas,

There were no Made In Heaven "sessions" that featured Freddie - the material was either left over from Innuendo or was recorded for possible future use as the rest of the band saw fit.

FriedChicken,

Brian is an avid collector to the point of obsessionist. Greg's book (as and when it comes out) will display just that. He made a conscious decision to ensure that material he was "able" to have control over, was logged and stored correctly. It's highly likely that HIS collection is a vastly better archive than anything QPL would have access too.

Benn