Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > Why the fuss about flac and MP3?

forum rss feed
Author

cexycy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 241 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Dec 06, 21:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really don't understand why so many people are upset about flac files being distributed in MP3.

If people want it in MP3, they are going to try and get them converted anyway.

Can't people be allowed to make a choice as to what they want?

Once upon a time a wise man told me a fable...........
« Jay » user not visiting Queenzone.com
« Jay »
Bohemian: 843 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 06, 05:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You can't stop people from making mp3's out of FLAC files but at least you can make them try to understand that FLAC is indeed better then mp3 and is also the only way to trade shows, as almost no one is interested in mp3 sourced shows anymore these days.

Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 06, 05:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Someone should make a sticky about it... Then people wouldn't ask these same questions every month. :-\

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
« Jay » user not visiting Queenzone.com
« Jay »
Bohemian: 843 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 06, 06:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed something like a Queenzone FAQ.

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 06, 12:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cexycy wrote:

I really don't understand why so many people are upset about flac files being distributed in MP3.

If people want it in MP3, they are going to try and get them converted anyway.

Can't people be allowed to make a choice as to what they want?

OK, nice and simple for you.

If people want it in mp3, they are free to convert it - as you say it's their choice.

BUT, by then distributing it as mp3, they remove the option from the next guy, as it can't be converted back to FLAC.

Make sense?

Posted: 03 Dec 06, 20:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's no need to patronise.

All I'm really asking is why do some people go mad if stuff is converted and distributed in MP3?

If anyone wants flac, why can't they just request it like everyone else, or just go to the original source?

Not hard really is it? Besides MP3s are still reasonably good quality.

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 06, 06:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally I'm more than happy with MP3's. The problem is that obviously some people (= idiots) distribute MP3 files as audioCD's or FLAC's.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 06, 09:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^I think you're more of an idiot for making judgements like that

I rather have Wave. It's more convenient and better

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1418 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 06, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am with any of the lossless formats: FLAC, Monkey's Audio (ape), Shorten (shn), etc. PCM is convenient indeed, but I rather have my files stored in compressed form.

Penetration_Guru

Posted: 04 Dec 06, 12:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cexycy wrote:

All I'm really asking is why do some people go mad if stuff is converted and distributed in MP3?

If anyone wants flac, why can't they just request it like everyone else, or just go to the original source?

I wasn't patronising. You said you didn't understand - I explained it.

How should the people who want flac go back to the original source - the only way is through all the mp3 people, whose response would be either "can't remember", "don't care", "just be grateful you have anything, I didn't HAVE to send you this, you know".

You started this topic because you wanted to know - when I explained it, nicely and logically, you still couldn't see it. I've now had a bash at responding to your arguments (noting you didn't respond to mine) again.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 06, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cexycy wrote:

Because their trading business will be fucked up with mp3-sourced gigs. It's not about hearing a show, it's about trading only.

Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 06, 13:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

I rather have Wave. It's more convenient and better

Spoken like a true... well... me. Wave for me, all the way!

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1021 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 06, 07:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's great either way, with MP3 or FLAC.

But I'm no Mr. Computer, so I still don't understand how to convert the FLAC-files to WAV, so I can burn it out on CD's (for personal use of course).

Can somebody please try to explain in simple words how to get the files from FLAC to WAV ?

I know I asked about this before, but I didn't quite understand how to do it..

So please help !

Thanks!

...Maybe this is not posted under right topic or forum, but since you're talking about MP3's and FLAC, I just had to ask.. Don't be mad.

Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
MDNA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 449 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 06, 07:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ITSM wrote:

But I'm no Mr. Computer, so I still don't understand how to convert the FLAC-files to WAV, so I can burn it out on CD's (for personal use of course).

Can somebody please try to explain in simple words how to get the files from FLAC to WAV ?

So please help !

Thanks!

...Maybe this is not posted under right topic or forum, but since you're talking about MP3's and FLAC, I just had to ask.. Don't be mad.

Download FLAC frontend. Just search for it in Google (It's free).

The software is easy to use just load the files you want to decode and hit "decode". Then burn the resulting WAV files to audio CD.

Simple

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 06, 08:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is a FAQ section on Queenzone, you find it under "library". Check it out for more information about flac files and how to convert them.

I do not want any google ads here.

Posted: 08 Dec 06, 17:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Penetration_Guru wrote:

cexycy wrote:

How should the people who want flac go back to the original source - the only way is through all the mp3 people, whose response would be either "can't remember", "don't care", "just be grateful you have anything, I didn't HAVE to send you this, you know".

You started this topic because you wanted to know - when I explained it, nicely and logically, you still couldn't see it. I've now had a bash at responding to your arguments (noting you didn't respond to mine) again.

I wasn't having a bash, I understand your response and I appreciate it.

All I was asking is if people had the choice of what they wanted to share, the same thing could be shared a lot more, just in MP3 instead of flac in most cases.

This may not be ideal, but isn't MP3 better than nothing?

bohemianmoomin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 152 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 06, 07:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Makes sense to me....best to share them as FLAC so people can do with them what they want! If they want to just listen and enjoy then the files are there in the best possible quality, but say if they're like me and want to put them on an Mp3 player without taking up half a gig for one album...then its just as easy to convert them!
Thanks for sharing everyone.

Happy conference to you,

Happy conference to you,

Happy conference dear punters....

er....and we hope you have stew!
Penetration_Guru

Posted: 19 Dec 06, 15:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cexycy wrote:

Penetration_Guru wrote:

cexycy wrote:

All I was asking is if people had the choice of what they wanted to share, the same thing could be shared a lot more, just in MP3 instead of flac in most cases.

Hang on, your first question was why the complaints over conversion, now you're saying mp3 is better than nothing.

Well, those two positions are different, aren't they? Because if people are converting, then it isn't a choice between mp3 or nothing, it's a choice between flac or mp3.

Posted: 19 Dec 06, 19:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Penetration_Guru wrote:

cexycy wrote:

Penetration_Guru wrote:

cexycy wrote:

Hang on, your first question was why the complaints over conversion, now you're saying mp3 is better than nothing.

Well, those two positions are different, aren't they? Because if people are converting, then it isn't a choice between mp3 or nothing, it's a choice between flac or mp3.

I'm probably not making myself clear.

What I mean is if people download flac and convert to MP3 for their own use, they are more than likely to discard the flac as they have no need for it.

Therefore of they want to share, trade or whatever, they will only habe the MP3 version.

Because of this you will have people distributing it in flac and MP3. My original queston was why the fuss because it is now available in both forms for the two types of people who want them.

The MP3 distributors also increase the availability too.

THIS is why I couldn't see a problem.

Rik&Roll user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 197 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 06, 02:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MDNA wrote:

ITSM wrote:

So please help !

Thanks!

Download FLAC frontend. Just search for it in Google (It's free).

The software is easy to use just load the files you want to decode and hit "decode". Then burn the resulting WAV files to audio CD.

Simple

If you're using Winamp you can download and install a flac-plugin for winamp. Then let wa do the burning. The simplest way, I think.