forum rss feed
Author

Haystacks Calhoun II user not visiting Queenzone.com
Haystacks Calhoun II
Bohemian: 930 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Dec 06, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Incoming House intelligence chief botches easy intel quiz
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Rep. Silvestre Reyes of Texas, who incoming House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has tapped to head the Intelligence Committee when the Democrats take over in January, failed a quiz of basic questions about al Qaeda and Hezbollah, two of the key terrorist organizations the intelligence community has focused on since the September 11, 2001 attacks.

When asked by CQ National Security Editor Jeff Stein whether al Qaeda is one or the other of the two major branches of Islam -- Sunni or Shiite -- Reyes answered "they are probably both," then ventured "Predominantly -- probably Shiite."

That is wrong. Al Qaeda was founded by Osama bin Laden as a Sunni organization and views Shiites as heretics.

Reyes could also not answer questions put by Stein about Hezbollah, a Shiite group on the U.S. list of terrorist organizations that is based in Southern Lebanon.

Stein's column about Reyes' answers was published on CQ's Web site Friday evening.

In an interview with CNN, Stein said he was "amazed" by Reyes' lack of what he considers basic information about two of the major terrorists organizations.

"If you're the baseball commissioner and you don't know the difference between the Yankees and the Red Sox, you don't know baseball," Stein said. "You're not going to have the respect of the people you work with."

While Stein said Reyes is "not a stupid guy," his lack of knowledge said it could hamper Reyes' ability to provide effective oversight of the intelligence community, Stein believes.

"If you don't have the basics, how do you effectively question the administration?" he asked. "You don't know who is on first."

Stein said Reyes is not the only member of the House Intelligence Committee that he has interviewed that lacked what he considered basic knowledge about terrorist organizations.

"It kind of disgusts you, because these guys are supposed to be tending your knitting," Stein said. "Most people are rightfully appalled."

Pelosi picked Reyes over fellow Californian Rep. Jane Harman, who had been the Intelligence Committee's ranking member, and Rep. Alcee Hastings of Florida, who had been impeached as a federal judge after being accused of taking a bribe.

Calls from CNN to Reyes' office asking for reaction to Stein's column have not been returned.

The Golden Gate Bridge should have a long bungee cord for people who aren’t quite ready to commit suicide but want to get in a little practice.
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 06, 16:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Man, this would be like someone asking Greg Brooks who sang the first verse of WWTLF and him responding with "Freddie".

oh wai

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 06, 16:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HOLY SHIITE!

As if things would have been any better if Republicans retained the house. They're all a bunch of fuckin' morons.

...different party, same lack of brain cells.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 06, 17:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

...different party, same lack of brain cells.

And there you have it.

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

Smitty user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cool, we have display messages
Smitty
Deity: 6196 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 06, 17:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haystacks Calhounski wrote:

Reyes answered "they are probably both," then ventured "Predominantly -- probably Shiite."

Ugh, morons...

sparrow 21754 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1947 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 06, 22:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

its like watching paris hilton solve a math problem....

oh snap!

why pay the visit when the visit is free?

"this shitty guitar wont play what i want! it only knows three chords!"
AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 06, 03:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If honesty and intelligence were suddenly introduced into American politics, the whole system would collapse.
This doesn't surprise me at all, as sad as it is. Just goes to show that Americans don't give a crap about their politicians as long as they aren't personally affected by anything.

Formerly MHG
user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 06, 05:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CMU HistoryGirl wrote:

Just goes to show that Americans don't give a crap about their politicians as long as they aren't personally affected by anything.

That is exactly my view on politics. Sorry for ruining the United States government. :(

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
AspiringPhilosophe

Posted: 12 Dec 06, 08:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=666600>Music Man wrote:

CMU HistoryGirl wrote:

Just goes to show that Americans don't give a crap about their politicians as long as they aren't personally affected by anything.

That is exactly my view on politics. Sorry for ruining the United States government. :(

Haha. Yeah, I know what you mean. Just as long as everyone has their job and money coming in and nothing is personally threatening them, then it's ok to vote for whoever without actually looking at the politician, because the "ads" tell you everything you need to know.
It's disgusting

Formerly MHG
Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 06, 14:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sparrow wrote:

oh snap!

Well, this might surprise you, but I think Paris is "secretly" quite intelligent. I think it might take more brains than the average person has to figure out how to be that famous and well-paid for just being "Paris".

Mr.Jingles

Posted: 12 Dec 06, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Donna13 wrote:

Sparrow wrote:

oh snap!

Well, this might surprise you, but I think Paris is "secretly" quite intelligent. I think it might take more brains than the average person has to figure out how to be that famous and well-paid for just being "Paris".

It doesn't take a lot of brains to achieve what Paris has achieved, first you have to suck a whole lot of celebrity cock.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 06, 18:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CMU HistoryGirl wrote:

CMU HistoryGirl wrote:

Haha. Yeah, I know what you mean. Just as long as everyone has their job and money coming in and nothing is personally threatening them, then it's ok to vote for whoever without actually looking at the politician, because the "ads" tell you everything you need to know.
It's disgusting

I actually don't vote for politicians, because I know that I will never be able to make a fully informed decision. I know my decision will be more informed than, say, 90% of everyone else, but their votes are just as useless. I'm not saying that only the people who are hardcore into political issues should vote - I'm saying that politics is a very closed game where it's quite difficult to get all the unbiased information you need.

I will vote for referendums and such that I am aware of, however, because it is much easier to inform oneself on such issues.

But, take the 2004 Presidential election, for example. We had Bush or Kerry. The most persuasive argument to vote for Kerry was "He's not Bush," which was absolutely ridiculous. Politicians just cannot make themselves look good anymore. The best you can get is, "not as bad as the other guy(s)." So my (pitiful) solution is just to not vote. Sorry, but that's all I can do. I'm not going to put in the time and effort to become an arrogant political expert. I mean, we only have one life to live, yeah? And it's hard enough just being arrogant. ;-)

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
AspiringPhilosophe

Posted: 12 Dec 06, 21:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

**bows to MusicMan**
You are very observant!

Formerly MHG
Crezchi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 664 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 06, 22:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Donna13 wrote:

Sparrow wrote:

oh snap!

Yeah, she is the only one i have ever known to visit a tire air pump to get a refill for her head.

Hello you rock and rollers!
Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 06, 22:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Crezchi wrote:

Donna13 wrote:

Sparrow wrote:

oh snap!

Yeah, she is the only one i have ever known to visit a tire air pump to get a refill for her head.

Well, that's one I haven't heard yet. Ha. But I am assuming that Paris probably knows more about business than most. Her public behavior and expressions such as, "That's hot," seem to be conceived to project a dumb (and carefree) persona. If we fall for her "act" (which is making her famous), it makes us seem even more dumb I think. That's like believing that Britney forgot to put on underwear because she is so dumb. Think again.

sparrow 21754 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1947 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 06, 01:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Donna13 wrote:

Crezchi wrote:

Donna13 wrote:

Sparrow wrote:

oh snap!

Well, that's one I haven't heard yet. Ha. But I am assuming that Paris probably knows more about business than most. Her public behavior and expressions such as, "That's hot," seem to be conceived to project a dumb (and carefree) persona. If we fall for her "act" (which is making her famous), it makes us seem even more dumb I think. That's like believing that Britney forgot to put on underwear because she is so dumb. Think again.

the only thing theyre GOOD at is getting attention. doesnt mean theyre smart.

why pay the visit when the visit is free?

"this shitty guitar wont play what i want! it only knows three chords!"
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 06, 07:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haystacks Calhounski

You are one insanely

STUPID

fuck.

I wanted you to know that.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 06, 08:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The best you can get is, "not as bad as the other guy(s)." So my (pitiful) solution is just to not vote.

You're right about having to vote for the lesser (obvious) evil, that's certain, but I don't think not voting is an answer (though voting on issues, as you do, is just as important).

IMHO, voting in a balanced way is what will help this country. All Democrats or all Republicans and we have a lopsided - and dangerous - situation.

This past election, many people voted Democrat down the line simply to get the Republicans out of power. They absolutely needed their control curbed, but to what end? We need people from both sides to meet somewhere in the middle or we wind up as we are now - with a divided country and a seemingly more dangerous world where not only foes but friends are angry and disgusted with us.

No one has to be a political expert. Instead, losing arrogance when pulling the lever or punching the chad is what's needed. It's about the future of the country, it's not about personal victory, as many have made it. I see it like this - in NY, you're either a Yankee fan or a Mets fan. You can't be both (apparently). When the Mets win, Mets fans celebrate. When the Yankees lose, Mets fans celebrate harder. Forget the fact they're both playing for NY and any NY team in the World Series is a good thing. Nope. Arrogance and anger. Two emotions that block logic. Two emotions that have ruled the past few elections. And look at the mess we're in.

I'm sorry, but I think voting is as important as investing in a personal retirement fund. Though it might not directly affect you now, at some point it will have an impact on your life. It's about security, pride and peace of mind.

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

Haystacks Calhoun II user not visiting Queenzone.com
Haystacks Calhoun II
Bohemian: 930 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 06, 09:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

Haystacks Calhounski

You are one insanely

STUPID

fuck.

I wanted you to know that.

I'm stupid because the idiot that Nancy Pelosi hand-picked to run the Intelligence Committee is completely clueless??

Wow. That's some twisted logic.

The Golden Gate Bridge should have a long bungee cord for people who aren’t quite ready to commit suicide but want to get in a little practice.
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 13 Dec 06, 09:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

magicalfreddiemercury wrote:

I'm sorry, but I think voting is as important as investing in a personal retirement fund. Though it might not directly affect you now, at some point it will have an impact on your life. It's about security, pride and peace of mind.

Trust me, voting is definitely NOT about pride.

Most of the time we have to make a choice that we will either regret later on, choose because is the least bad, or in the best cases a decision we have made with a certain degree of skepticism.