Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Drugs

forum rss feed
Author

Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Dec 06, 20:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Isn't it a bit odd that Queen (being a typical 70's band in the partying sense) has never been linked to "drug scandals"? Or was the drug police too busy busting Keith Richards in the 70's?
BTW I heard John is in rehab now. He's addicted to daffodils.

Smitty user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cool, we have display messages
Smitty
Deity: 6196 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Dec 06, 22:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Marcos Napier wrote:

Isn't it a bit odd that Queen (being a typical 70's band in the partying sense) has never been linked to "drug scandals"?


Oh yes they have!

Little known to others everyone in the band has been taken in at least 6 times for massive drug possesion charges. THAT's the reason they went through so many bass players. All of them kept getting arrested and sent to jail.

ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1021 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Dec 06, 22:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

...and there are rumors about dwarfs with cocaine-plates on their heads on the Jazz release-party in 1977... (quite a view).

But Brian May says he never done anything...


Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1021 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Dec 06, 02:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I meant it 1978, of course...



Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Dec 06, 03:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

of course...


Killed by drones.
Markman38 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 295 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Dec 06, 04:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know from a very reliable source that there was (off course) drugs in Queen. We all know the story why there wasn't an official release of Micheal Jackson and Freddie Mercury of State of Shock. Because Micheal found out that Freddie used cocaine during recording sessions and Micheal didn't want have anything to do with drugs. I think that both Roger and Freddie did used cocaine in their lives. John is unknown but he surely could use some before playing if he was that nervous LOL. in case of Brian I do believe that he never used, it's the same with Roger Daltrey who also never used.

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Dec 06, 08:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ITSM wrote:

...and there are rumors about dwarfs with cocaine-plates on their heads on the Jazz release-party in 1977... (quite a view).

But Brian May says he never done anything...


Roger, however...


Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Dec 06, 08:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally I think they were more drinkers than big drug users. It was most likely "dabbled" with in the 70's and of course Freddie's usage in the 80's seemed to be more of a recreational thing than a habit or addiction. They seemed to be far more intelligent than their peers at the time to get hooked on the stuff. Never heard of any of the band in a rehab or detox. They always came across as total pros in their music and their shows and being the bosses of their own business that was Queen. Besides, Queen were leadrs... not followers. They never took after Keith Richards, Brian Jones, John Bonham etc. They were smart enough not to do anything in excess.

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Dec 06, 09:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Everybody knows that Freddie loved Colombian pixie dust. Apparently he never got as addicted as once Elton John or Eric Clapton were, but he always fancied a good snort.

Roger claims that he once tried pot, but didn't like it. Aside from Freddie he's the once who was the most likely to have tried different things.

Brian, Roger and John were more into the booze. Brian once commented on getting drunk with Aerosmith's Joe Perry back in the old days. Roger once got drunk while attending a Formula 1 race; and John himself was arrested for driving drunk, an incident which inspired the song 'Don't Lose Your Head'.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Bob-Plant user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Dec 06, 09:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Other than the odd story or myth, I would venture that Brian may have tried pot, but I can't imagine him having done that more than once or twice and of course he never was much of a drinker after his legendary drinking story with Joe Perry from Aerosmith. Freddie, well known to abhor drugs in the early day's, then of course had a change of heart at some point in time and enjoyed cocaine for a period. I can't see John doing more than probably smoking a little pot way back when. Roger, vocal about not liking pot, would seem to have the type of personality that would make him more likely to indulge in other favors. All of this, of course, is speculation and serves no real point. Now if you will excuse me, I have to go shoot up some...oh wait, am I still typing?


"The things you have to do for money..."
Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Dec 06, 13:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jazz 78 wrote:

(...) They were smart enough not to do anything in excess.


Freddie... A new lover every night... AIDS...?


We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Dec 06, 13:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=BrianJM>RollingZepBowieQueen wrote:

John I don't reckon he's touched anything more dangerous than alcohol or nicotine.


... even though every picture of him in the 70s has that same "I'm so very high" stare.

And explain the afro. Maybe he lost a bet with Freddie?

Wolfmother user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Dec 06, 14:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is a story that Freddie and Elton John wouldd do lines of coke 'as thick and as long as your grandmother's arm' before Freddie would go on tour.


Maxwell Loignon
onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Dec 06, 18:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

-


onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Dec 06, 18:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

: I know from a very reliable source that there was (off course) drugs in Queen. We all know the story why there wasn't an official release of Micheal Jackson and Freddie Mercury of State of Shock. Because Micheal found out that Freddie used cocaine during recording sessions and Micheal didn't want have anything to do with drugs. I think that both Roger and Freddie did used cocaine in their lives. John is unknown but he surely could use some before playing if he was that nervous LOL. in case of Brian I do believe that he never used, it's the same with Roger Daltrey who also never used.


Always find posts like this a bit annoying. I mean, you are suggesting that you have a very reliable source (a contact person i guess) but you don't mention annything new.

All you did was summing up the facts we all knew already (and braggin' bout the "fact" that you have a reliable contact close to queen.



Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Dec 06, 19:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And there's also the hilarious "tea" story found in "As It Began"...

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Dec 06, 20:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=BrianJM>RollingZepBowieQueen wrote:

Nah, Freddie was well-known for the odd line of coke. Roger... probably had a try, Brian maybe has had one snort in his whole life and as for John I don't reckon he's touched anything more dangerous than alcohol or nicotine.


However at those parties that Queen hosted you could find anything. It was a case of every single person there having a good time and if ensuring that cocaine and anything else was in good supply meant that everyone had a good time then so be it.


Odd coke line? I've read he'd do it a few times a day.

And then Peter Freestone did the drug shopping for him. A pill for that, some potions for this.


"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Dec 06, 20:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

.*.Messenger Of Leah.*. wrote:

<font color=BrianJM>RollingZepBowieQueen wrote:

Nah, Freddie was well-known for the odd line of coke. Roger... probably had a try, Brian maybe has had one snort in his whole life and as for John I don't reckon he's touched anything more dangerous than alcohol or nicotine.


However at those parties that Queen hosted you could find anything. It was a case of every single person there having a good time and if ensuring that cocaine and anything else was in good supply meant that everyone had a good time then so be it.


Odd coke line? I've read he'd do it a few times a day.

And then Peter Freestone did the drug shopping for him. A pill for that, some potions for this.


Somebody needs to superglue duct tape to that mans mouth...he...yah, just to much out of him. I liked his book and all but in interviews its just like shut UP!!!

Markman38 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 295 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Dec 06, 03:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Ducksoup

I had .....back in the old days, but I won't give you the name because I would harm the trust the person give to me by telling stories, and that person is still a very well known person in the queen circle. But why the negative attitude?You want to know about the lines of boys standing next to Freddies hotel rooms after a concert wich he had, with help of coke? You want to know about the big wallet John took with him after a concert and went to a club with working girls and returned with an empty wallet. You want the stories about Freddie working on Made in Heaven, barely stand on his feet? If you see all my posts(replies) you noticed that I'm very quiet and introspective because I hear many stories here that are really shit. If I tell a story that we allready know (the famous stories like you said) I only do that because there are plenty of odd quuestions about songs that are official or other questions about very well known facts. But every day there are new Queen fans here and for them the stories are new. Don't react so negative

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Dec 06, 09:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Markman38 wrote:

@Ducksoup

I had .....back in the old days, but I won't give you the name because I would harm the trust the person give to me by telling stories, and that person is still a very well known person in the queen circle. But why the negative attitude?You want to know about the lines of boys standing next to Freddies hotel rooms after a concert wich he had, with help of coke? You want to know about the big wallet John took with him after a concert and went to a club with working girls and returned with an empty wallet. You want the stories about Freddie working on Made in Heaven, barely stand on his feet? If you see all my posts(replies) you noticed that I'm very quiet and introspective because I hear many stories here that are really shit. If I tell a story that we allready know (the famous stories like you said) I only do that because there are plenty of odd quuestions about songs that are official or other questions about very well known facts. But every day there are new Queen fans here and for them the stories are new. Don't react so negative


Partly, I understand your point of view: Telling new fans stories wich ,to them, are new. That's a good thing.

The thing I don't understand is that it seems to me that some people within the Queen fan community always feel the need to brag about the contacts, rare recordings, huge collection or whatever they have.

In my honest opinion you are doing this again by saying:

"You want to know about the lines of boys standing next to Freddies hotel rooms after a concert wich he had, with help of coke? You want to know about the big wallet John took with him after a concert and went to a club with working girls and returned with an empty wallet. You want the stories about Freddie working on Made in Heaven, barely stand on his feet?"

I mean: what's your point?

Like you said:

"but I won't give you the name because I would harm the trust the person give to me by telling stories, and that person is still a very well known person in the queen circle"

If you really do so, why feel the need to talk about it and share some info the person gave you on Queenzone then?

I don't get it.