Forums > Queen - General Discussion > FYI on HIV/AIDS: Whyis Jim Huton still alive and it killed Fred so swiftly

forum rss feed
Author

kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 06, 11:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just thought I'd pose this question for the AIDS experts out there. To help curious fans understand. I'll start off with the lil' I know.

There are people who had HIV in their system in the mid 70's who are still alive today. Their blood was tested afterwards from the Hep B trials and were alerted in the mid 80's. I remember reading a story about one such patient, I can't find the link it was on my old computer. But he soecifically stated he never used any drugs. Be it prescription drugs or illegal drugs.

There's a lot of people who believe that the use of drugs rapidly causes HIV to become AIDS.The vast majority of HIV positive patients who never become AIDS status say they've never used drugs and many never went on AIDS drugs. If you think about it street drug use or prescription drug use probably covers atleast 98% of AIDS related deaths.

You still have to account for the people, I believe the number is around 300, who never developed AIDS. These are people who have been HIV positive for 15-20 yrs or more. Again most of them fit the same profile of not using the drugs. Any AIDS experts have any info shooting down that theory? It seems to make sense to me.

KingMercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 345 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 06, 12:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

there`s a forum, where you can ask the experts what you want to know sbout AIDS or HIV
www.thebody.com

it`s very usefull
you cant use it for any thing, it`s a forum where people who have the illnes ask about his treatment
so be very carefull on what you ask

but i think this forum is not to talk about HIV or AIDS
it`s a Queen related forum
so, lets try to talk about it and not about AIDS

"I`m Just A Singer With A Song...How Can I Try to Right The Wrong"
onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 06, 13:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed. Let's talk about the music.

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 06, 14:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

omg i luv Freddie

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 06, 16:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

KingMercury wrote:

there`s a forum, where you can ask the experts what you want to know sbout AIDS or HIV
www.thebody.com

it`s very usefull
you cant use it for any thing, it`s a forum where people who have the illnes ask about his treatment

Like it or not AIDS is a relevant topic when discussing Queen/Freddie. After all it is what lead to Freddie's death and played a role in songs written at the time.
As for the topic, there are different strains of HIV including some newer strains which are more lethal than other strains.

KingMercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 345 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 06, 19:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

teleman wrote:

KingMercury wrote:

www.thebody.com

it`s very usefull

Like it or not AIDS is a relevant topic when discussing Queen/Freddie. After all it is what lead to Freddie's death and played a role in songs written at the time.
As for the topic, there are different strains of HIV including some newer strains which are more lethal than other strains.

its not a relevant topic!!!!
i listen to queen music, and (like most of people) i`m not interested in "when did freddie get the illness" or "why jim is still alive and freddie not"
please people
if you think AIDS is a relevant topic talking about Queen, you`re sick and you`re morbid
please let freddie rest in peace, and please enjoy his legacy, i mean, his music

"I`m Just A Singer With A Song...How Can I Try to Right The Wrong"
teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 06, 00:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

KingMercury wrote:

if you think AIDS is a relevant topic talking about Queen, you`re sick and you`re morbid
please let freddie rest in peace, and please enjoy his legacy, i mean, his music

If AIDS and the death of Freddie played a role in songs written at the time then it is relevant to a discussion of Queen.
I don't give a fuck about how Freddie caught HIV/AIDS(it's pretty obvious) but I do care about the music and AIDS did play a role in the music from the last part of Freddie's life.
KingMercury, if you think I'm sick and morbid because I think AIDS is relevant to a discussion on Queen then I suggest you're a small minded idiot.

theCro user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1056 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 06, 00:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

teleman wrote:

KingMercury wrote:

If AIDS and the death of Freddie played a role in songs written at the time then it is relevant to a discussion of Queen.
I don't give a fuck about how Freddie caught HIV/AIDS(it's pretty obvious) but I do care about the music and AIDS did play a role in the music from the last part of Freddie's life.
KingMercury, if you think I'm sick and morbid because I think AIDS is relevant to a discussion on Queen then I suggest you're a small minded idiot.
no need to abuse him by calling him an idiot...i support your theory by the way, THIS IS THE PLACE where we must spread the words about AIdS because FREDDIE died of AiDS! And yes, some of his songs are inspired by illness... sad but true!

s.m. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 291 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 06, 05:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

KingMercury wrote:

70% of the topics on this forum are not relevant but i didn´t see you complain there

She was my lover

It was a shame that she died

But the constitution´s right on my side

Cos I cought my lover in my neighbours bed

I got retribution, filled´em full of lead
jeffuk49 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 432 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 06, 05:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oh good a medical forum, Can someone help with this coldsore I've got, it's a right bugger had it for a week now

Queenman!! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenman!!
Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 06, 07:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kdj2hot wrote:

I just thought I'd pose this question for the AIDS experts out there. To help curious fans understand. I'll start off with the lil' I know.

There are people who had HIV in their system in the mid 70's who are still alive today. Their blood was tested afterwards from the Hep B trials and were alerted in the mid 80's. I remember reading a story about one such patient, I can't find the link it was on my old computer. But he soecifically stated he never used any drugs. Be it prescription drugs or illegal drugs.

There's a lot of people who believe that the use of drugs rapidly causes HIV to become AIDS.The vast majority of HIV positive patients who never become AIDS status say they've never used drugs and many never went on AIDS drugs. If you think about it street drug use or prescription drug use probably covers atleast 98% of AIDS related deaths.

You still have to account for the people, I believe the number is around 300, who never developed AIDS. These are people who have been HIV positive for 15-20 yrs or more. Again most of them fit the same profile of not using the drugs. Any AIDS experts have any info shooting down that theory? It seems to make sense to me.

Let see... What I know from AIDS is you can be HIV infected for years before HIV become AIDS. I think in Freddie's situation there has been a short time overlapping each other. Freddie could be HIV positive since 1985 and got AIDS in 1987.
Jim H. got HIV in 1985 and maybe in the year 1994 he still didn't had AIDS. I believe in 1994 came the first kind of decent medicine to prevent a person who's got HIV falling into the final state, still no cure, AIDS
So Jim was very lucky in a way you can say....

Please, the last time topics about AIDS and so on.. Let's talk about music!!!!!!!!!!!

You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us feel like we could fly!
i'm going slight mad... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 92 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 06, 11:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

isn't there a gene that can stop you from getting full blown AID's...omega something...heard i somewhere. also the gene that stopped some people dying of the plague...i don't know, will have to look it up now

i'm not wierd i'm gifted
kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 06, 00:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Excuse me, I didnt mean to offend anyone. Sorry.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 06, 13:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jeffuk49 wrote:

oh good a medical forum, Can someone help with this coldsore I've got, it's a right bugger had it for a week now

Just find someone who doesn't have one and rub your face against theirs. Yours should clear up in a week or so.

you_rock_my_socks06 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 287 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 06, 13:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the reason why Freddie was killed so swiftly is because he was diagonsied with AIDs and not HIV. He had most likely had HIV for a great number of years before it turned into AIDs. But because he didn't have HIV when he discovered he was ill he couldn't have had the medication to prevent it from progressing into AIDs even if that was a couple of years. In modern days it can now be sustained for up to 20 years.

I don't know if drugs increses the speed of HIV developing into AIDs but I don't think it does.

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 06, 13:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^ AIDs.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

Pandy Legend user not visiting Queenzone.com
Pandy Legend
Champion: 79 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 06, 04:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Further to previous answers, I think it also depends on the individual's immune system. Some people are naturally better at fighting infection than others and so their own body would be able to "hold back" the virus longer than other sufferers' bodies.

The use of recreational drugs may have an effect on the immune system therefore lowering the body's defences.

;-P
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 06, 06:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

KingMercury wrote:

teleman wrote:

KingMercury wrote:

www.thebody.com

it`s very usefull

i listen to queen music, and (like most of people) i`m not interested in "when did freddie get the illness" or "why jim is still alive and freddie not"
please people

You're just a sissy. "Oooh no, this subject offends me, I'm going to hide under the table".

You can't control conversations in real life - so you can't do it on the internet. It might be an *awful* awful truth, but AIDS and Freddie are unfortunately tied together now. It might suck for you, but spare a thought for how much it sucked for HIM, you bedwetter.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 06, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On the question of whether or not Freddie would rest in peace knowing we were discussing AIDS and his situation as it was, just remember Freddie's final words to us, his fans.

"...I hope everyone will join me, my doctors and all those worldwide in the fight against this terrible disease."

That means to me that Freddie wanted his fans to be involved. I think that the most we can do sometimes is to keep the disease in discussion to increase awareness and thereby (hopefully) prevent new infection.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 06, 12:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, but Freddie's statement came at a time when AIDS was filling his every thought. Looking back, I think it's the last thing he'd want us to remember him for.

We all know about AIDS now. We all know how NOT to get it. If you're mad that Freddie's dead and Magic Johnson looks like he could go for 25 against the Clippers tonight, I am too. But some things just can't be explained.

Do I need to wear a ribbon? No. And I'm sure glad the "World Aids Day" banner has been taken down from this site.