Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Queen - sheer geni or only coincidence?

forum rss feed
Author

Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Dec 06, 14:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was just listening to a radio program about the history of radio and GaGa was playing at the background. Then I started thinking that Queen actually have a lot of songs that are perfect for different contexts.

It seems that instead of writing 150 song about love, like most other bands do, they (maybe even deliberately) wrote songs fitting to different occasions.

YMBF & FWBW - you need a song about friendship, there you go

WATC & WWRY - simply perfect for sports, strange that no-one has written anything to replace these songs

DSMN - can and has been used a lot (anything from Bush' campain to young scientists)

RGG - anything about the radio has to feature this song

FBG - a program about fat people, they play this one :)

TSMGO - someone quits his career, something ends etc. you bet this one played

Some of their songs didn't get too popular (meaning not so often used on tv/radio programs etc.), but still have the same idea:

IILWMC - get played surprisingly often when it's something about cars

LMEY - this one never became popular, but Robbie's song with the same name did

IWIA - describes one type of people

Thera are probably even more examples..


Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Dec 06, 14:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote




Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 06, 05:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=blue><b>LeroyBrown11</b > wrote:

Does anyone know of any songs I should use for my film about a blind girl? She (me) is wearing a Queen shirt in the video and it would probably be most appropiate to have Queen playing in it. Any ideas?


White Queen. Brian wrote it about a blind girl he was secretly in love with ("So sad, her eyes. She can not see").


Flick of the wrist
zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 06, 05:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whisperer wrote:

I was just listening to a radio program about the history of radio and GaGa was playing at the background. Then I started thinking that Queen actually have a lot of songs that are perfect for different contexts.

Thera are probably even more examples..


Bicycle Race is another one that gets played a lot in programs involving bicycles, of course.

Thank God It's Christmas could also fit the list as a definite "occasion" song.

I think they were very aware of a song fitting a particular occasion, especially Freddie. I know from interviews that he wrote WATC as a football chant, and FWBW as a participation song as well (hence the big choruses).


Flick of the wrist
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 06, 12:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whisperer wrote:


It seems that instead of writing 150 song about love, like most other bands do, they (maybe even deliberately) wrote songs fitting to different occasions.

WATC & WWRY - simply perfect for sports, strange that no-one has written anything to replace these songs
RGG - anything about the radio has to feature this song
IILWMC - get played surprisingly often when it's something about cars

Thera are probably even more examples..


what makes you think Queen are the only ones to write for specific occasions? you are very blinkered in your musical tastes if you really think that...the beatles (taxman, paperback writer, she's leaving home, hey jude, get back, ) probably really started it....but many other bands diverted away from love long before queen

ok, i left in the ones i feel need some discussion as being particularly relevant and irrelevant
WATC/WWRY - yes great anthems...certainly grabbed a certain niche...but this is getting exploited better now...less of these being heard now...more of Rock n Roll Part 2 and Crazy Train/Hell's Bells in USA, in England...all kinda stuff...from things like Tamperer ...basically anythign that starts crowds clapping chanting along
RGG - by no means the best or most used...i disagree with you...Rush - spirit of radio is used in USA and Elvis Costello Radio Radio gets used more in UK honestly...
IILWMC - again - no chance....in both USA and UK there are songs played much more often than this one...there are literally dozens of classic that get played before this one in car stuff...and i won't insult you by listing them all
YMBF/FWBF - again...sorry but no...the classic still prevail...and Thank you For Being a Friend is one of a few that gets played more often than your suggestions...


go deo na h√Čireann
Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 06, 14:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

Whisperer wrote:


It seems that instead of writing 150 song about love, like most other bands do, they (maybe even deliberately) wrote songs fitting to different occasions.

WATC & WWRY - simply perfect for sports, strange that no-one has written anything to replace these songs
RGG - anything about the radio has to feature this song
IILWMC - get played surprisingly often when it's something about cars

Thera are probably even more examples..


what makes you think Queen are the only ones to write for specific occasions? you are very blinkered in your musical tastes if you really think that...the beatles (taxman, paperback writer, she's leaving home, hey jude, get back, ) probably really started it....but many other bands diverted away from love long before queen

ok, i left in the ones i feel need some discussion as being particularly relevant and irrelevant
WATC/WWRY - yes great anthems...certainly grabbed a certain niche...but this is getting exploited better now...less of these being heard now...more of Rock n Roll Part 2 and Crazy Train/Hell's Bells in USA, in England...all kinda stuff...from things like Tamperer ...basically anythign that starts crowds clapping chanting along
RGG - by no means the best or most used...i disagree with you...Rush - spirit of radio is used in USA and Elvis Costello Radio Radio gets used more in UK honestly...
IILWMC - again - no chance....in both USA and UK there are songs played much more often than this one...there are literally dozens of classic that get played before this one in car stuff...and i won't insult you by listing them all
YMBF/FWBF - again...sorry but no...the classic still prevail...and Thank you For Being a Friend is one of a few that gets played more often than your suggestions...


I agree with you, but my point was that Queen is definitely the band with most of these "occasion songs" that get played often.

Every artist you mentioned has only one of thse often used "occasion songs". It might be because I'm from Finland, that I've never even heard of most of the songs you've mentioned, but I had heard all my songs before becoming a Queen fan.

I forgot about Bicycle Race, that one is a really obvious addition to my list.




Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.