Forums > Personal > learning to play guitar

forum rss feed
Author

kosimodo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 554 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Dec 06, 04:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hej!

My son (6) is wild with electric guitars!!

And i dunno anything about it!

For the 3rd time he is asking for christmas an electic guitar... Should i?? Can u learn to play guitar on an eletric?? Or should u start with an acoustic 1?? or is he 2 young or so...??

Any advices??

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 22 Dec 06, 05:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let him start with the acoustic guitar.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com has some nice tutorials on the basics.

Killed by drones.
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 22 Dec 06, 08:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color="#FF1493">The Fairy King wrote:

It's bullshit that you have to start on an acoustic. Electric ones are more expensive, but slightly easier to play, especially if you're still small. Get your son a 1/2 sized guitar (acoustic or electric) and get him lessons.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 22 Dec 06, 08:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is the perfect age to start learning guitar! Numerous studies have shown that kids with musical training do better in all areas of schooling (math, analytical subjects like science, creative subjects like writing, etc.), and learning to read music is a bit like learning another language. If you start when you are young, it is easier to get it. (Trust me, learning how to read music at your son's age was much easier than learning french as a 17 year old).
Plus, those of us here who have musical training can attetest to the emotional and mental benefits music gives, either playing it or just listening to it, if you have a background understanding of music.
As I don't really know anything about guitar (I was primarily a vocalist) I can't give you much help there. But definatly get him started! He'll thank you for it later, and you'll thank yourself for it too (once those rough initial months pass)

Formerly MHG
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 22 Dec 06, 11:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Get your son the shittiest guitar in the shop. If he can make it sound good, then get him the nice one.

Sounds stupid, but it works.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller

Posted: 22 Dec 06, 13:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thx folks....

Reason was there was a cheap 'shitty' one for sale...
Could be a play thing.. but was real enough!

Lets see what i do 2morrow... Pirates or guitar?!

user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 06, 00:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

An electric is not necessarily cheaper than an acoustic anyway. One can easily get a starter electric guitar pack at a reasonable price. In fact, one of the best ways to make someone disinterested in the guitar is by giving them a shitty acoustic. No lie.

In fact, The Fairy King is pretty much wrong in every aspect (no offense). Don't start him by using internet tutorials. Get him a guitar instructor. Get him a guitar instructor. Get him a guitar instructor. Let me stress this one more time...get him a guitar instructor. Sure, if he's dedicated enough, he could teach himself. Yeah, and if I were dedicated enough, I could have learned everything I learned in high school by myself - but guess what? I wouldn't have.

The guitar is mostly an "on your own" instrument. If you play it, you're not going to get a heck of a lot of motivation from your school or your coach or your teachers - most times even your parents, since they likely don't know how to play...all you have is your instructor. And those who don't have that - they have nobody.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
bobo the chimp

Posted: 23 Dec 06, 00:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, whatever works for you. I didn't have an instructor, I just loved the guitar - it sounds like this kid is crazy about it too, so you never know.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 06, 02:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And ol' Zeb is pretty *thumbs up* good in my book.

Mind you my book is dedicated to me.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!

Posted: 23 Dec 06, 03:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He is 'crazy' about the sound!!

It is going to be the cheapy 1.

we will c....

TYMD is his favorite!
Other favorites are 'Killing in the name of' RAM and 'enter sandman' Metallica

Nothing acoustic about that:)

bobo the chimp

Posted: 23 Dec 06, 03:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"And ol' Zeb is pretty *thumbs up* good in my book."

Hahaha, you'll make me blush or something.

"Nothing acoustic about that:)"

You'd be surprised at what can sound good on an acoustic - or a ukulele!

Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 06, 06:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=666600>Music Man wrote:

An electric is not necessarily cheaper than an acoustic anyway. One can easily get a starter electric guitar pack at a reasonable price. In fact, one of the best ways to make someone disinterested in the guitar is by giving them a shitty acoustic. No lie.

In fact, The Fairy King is pretty much wrong in every aspect (no offense). Don't start him by using internet tutorials. Get him a guitar instructor. Get him a guitar instructor. Get him a guitar instructor. Let me stress this one more time...get him a guitar instructor. Sure, if he's dedicated enough, he could teach himself. Yeah, and if I were dedicated enough, I could have learned everything I learned in high school by myself - but guess what? I wouldn't have.

The guitar is mostly an "on your own" instrument. If you play it, you're not going to get a heck of a lot of motivation from your school or your coach or your teachers - most times even your parents, since they likely don't know how to play...all you have is your instructor. And those who don't have that - they have nobody.

I am NOT advising Kosimodo to ignore you and let his son learn on the internet. I think a guitar instructor is a good idea.

But I don't agree with all you said...

I don't have an instructor, I've been learning by myself. I confess sometimes it's a bit irritating, because when I'm trying to learn something new, such as a new song, and it doesn't sound right to my ears, I have to figure out by myself what's wrong, what I'm doing that I shouldn't be doing and what I should be doing but I'm not doing.

Still, I have friends who play the guitar, so when something is really bothering me I can share it with them, ask for advice, etc. You're actually someone who helped me a lot on MSN - thank you.

I have non-guitarist friends who give me motivation, show interest in hear me (and although I feel incredibly shy playing with people watching me, I like to know there are people who care)... And I've been getting some motivation from my family. I confess their motivation is a bit unwelcome, because my mom and her mom actually bug me saying they're ansious to hear me playing something interesting, etc and I take it as an insinuation that I suck and should try harder. But it's still a kind of motivation, right? If no one ever complains about me being a newbie, I'll feel comfortable as a newbie forever.

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
The Fairy King

Posted: 23 Dec 06, 07:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

<b><font color="#FF1493">The Fairy King wrote:

It's bullshit that you have to start on an acoustic. Electric ones are more expensive, but slightly easier to play, especially if you're still small. Get your son a 1/2 sized guitar (acoustic or electric) and get him lessons.

It's not. If you're that young and you want to learn the basics, an acoustic guitar is much better. Instead of buying that stuff and realising later he has no talent or feeling for it, you could just start off with the acoustic and in a few years move on to the electric.

Killed by drones.
The Fairy King

Posted: 23 Dec 06, 07:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=666600>Music Man wrote:

An electric is not necessarily cheaper than an acoustic anyway. One can easily get a starter electric guitar pack at a reasonable price. In fact, one of the best ways to make someone disinterested in the guitar is by giving them a shitty acoustic. No lie. [/quote]

Private lessons are the best, but not everyone can afford it dear "Music Man". Nothing wrong with that site, see it as something extra. It's free you know. ;)

I don't think giving a 6 y.o. an electric guitar is a good idea. Just my opinion.

Killed by drones.
bobo the chimp

Posted: 23 Dec 06, 07:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the roughly 3-way misconception in this thread is that only *one* method will work. Ya know, a bit of fusion in the learning process never killed anyone. :P

iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 06, 08:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wish I had a guitar instructor. I watch people playing, I listen to people playing and I try and teach my stuff..that's about. I'm not sure what I'd say to an instructor. 'Teach me to play like George Harrison!' or 'Make me a sandwich!'

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 06, 12:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

get an acoustic first,a good starter book would be RUSS SHIPTON'S.it will teach them the basic chords,no need for an instructor straight away just see if they pick up the chords ok and take it from there.make sure they learn A,D AND E chords first.that will give them the basic blues chords.also,the acoustic will harden the tips of the fingers quicker.

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 06, 00:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I see where you're all coming from, but I have to reiterate: A guitar instructor is not necessary, but it is always worth it. It is far more difficult to unlearn something than to learn it right the first time. My instructor helped me with so many things that I could never have gotten from the internet, and since many of my friends didn't play the guitar (or didn't play it well), he was my only source of infallible tutelage that I could trust.

Some things like how to hold the pick (most beginners are stuck on this for a long time), left and right hand placement, or how to fine tune those damned barre chords - it would have taken me ages longer to learn on the internet, or with a library of books.

If he's that young, I doubt he could just go to the local high school and ask the local guitar players for advice...I'd definitely recommend the teacher. Young children also do not teach themselves well...they need to be taught.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
Sherwood Forest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3547 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 06, 00:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

get him guitar hero II for PS2

One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1
bobo the chimp

Posted: 24 Dec 06, 01:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"It is far more difficult to unlearn something than to learn it right the first time."

Aha, see yes - I would count that as the most valuable thing a teacher can give you. Stopping you from getting used to doing it wrong!