Forums > Personal > another reason why queen aren't taken as seriously as other big bands

forum rss feed
Author

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 06, 13:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think this forum and queenonline are shining examples of why (generally speaking) queen aren't taken too seriously by the outside world

you only have to stumble by other band forums to see that... you don;t get threads like:-
"how big was ****'s dick?"
"what colour are ****'s eyes?"
"did **** really have green hair"
"does anyone have photot's of *****kids/house/car/penis?"

ffs- we all like a bit of fun....but there's a line...and a search button...BEFORE posting these kinda vacuous questions - think...is it something you REALLY have to know...? or is there just a hint of attention seeking in your character?...
let's face it....if some of the postings on QZ are anything to go by....aliens arriving on planet earth would not be blamed for thinking that Queen are nothing more than a bubblegum-disposable pop band with a fanbase of pre-pubescent snot-noses


go deo na hÉireann
user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 06, 14:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't imagine that online music forums that haven't even existed until long after the band's demise have had any impact on how "outsiders" view Queen. To be honest, I have rarely heard anything but overwhelming respect and admiration for the band, and can only conclude that public opinion among classic rock fans is very, very high.

As far as how "seriously" they are taken, I think the biggest reason Queen aren't taken as seriously as bands like Led Zeppelin is because Queen didn't take themselves seriously in the first place. I don't mean they didn't care about what they did, but they were always a "fun" band, weren't they? But their music speaks for itself, and it's very rare that their greatness is ever challenged.


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 06, 14:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=666600>Music Man wrote:

public opinion among classic rock fans is very, very high.


You're under a delusion.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 06, 14:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry Vietinhoff wrote:

<b><font color=666600>Music Man wrote:

public opinion among classic rock fans is very, very high.


You're under a delusion.


thank you Serry for backing up my point...the music press have never taken quene that seriously...but what kinda view will most music fans get if the so-called "serious discussion" section is their first view of queen fans...."well if their fans have no respect for them, they must be a novelty act"


go deo na hÉireann
AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 06, 16:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brenski, I think you are missing a point here. Now, granted that a lot of the topics started here, especially in the personal forum, are really stupid and I know Barb is trying to figure out how to stop this from happening. But that's not the point.
First off, the band is basically finished, at least in it's classic form. Has been since Freddie's death. So I have to agree with MusicMan that impressions of Queen are, for the most part, formed by looking at the band itself and listening to the music.
Second, you seem to be under the impression that people come to sites like this, thinking "Hey, I've never heard of these guys...maybe they are a cool band!", see the forum topics, and head for the hills. Well, that's not a bad theory, but in most cases it's wrong. Odds are good that if you've never heard of a band, you aren't going to google them or do whatever you do to find this page. Anyone who knows who Queen is and knows the music will already be a fan, and will then come to the site to connect with other fans (like most of us here did). I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that everyone else on the site was a Queen fan (maybe in a moderate sense, but a fan nonetheless) before they came to this site.
Third, Queen's following is actually growing because a newer, younger generation is learning about them, and it's not from websites like this. It's from movies that use the music (Like A Knight's Tale) or new bands from today who cite Queen as an influence. In my experience, most people aren't opposed to Queen fans, as most people are fans themselves. The problem seems to be that people know the major songs (WWRY, We Are the Champions and BoRhap for instance) but don't know who did them, or don't know it's the same band. If I tell people that I like Queen, they usually don't know who I mean. But when I name off some of the big songs, they say "Oh yeah! Those are awesome songs! Good!".
Anyone who is going to live their lives and base their musical interests and things on what is posted to some stupid internet forum has way too much time on their hands and no life.
P.S.- If you are so anti this site, then why are you posting here?


Formerly MHG
user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 06, 16:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry Vietinhoff wrote:

<b><font color=666600>Music Man wrote:

public opinion among classic rock fans is very, very high.


You're under a delusion.


What delusion? Last I checked, Queen had some of the longest lasting, most impressionable tracks of any band of the classic rock era. Most people know more Queen songs than that of any other classic rock band. On classic rock radio stations across the nation, Queen is one of only three or so STAPLE bands that are GUARANTEED considerable airplay, the other two being Led Zeppelin and the Beatles. On rock and roll best of lists, Queen, its members, and its songs consistently rank among the best of the best.

Honestly, if anybody is under a delusion, it's you guys. I can honestly only think of a handful of bands that have achieved a comparable amount of greatness and respect from the rock and roll community as Queen.

Finally, there still is absolutely no point in considering the effect on public opinion of Queen by the FORUMS of this website or QueenOnline, where only a very small minority of people have been, and where the vast majority of those people are big Queen fans.


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 06, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CMU HistoryGirl wrote:

Brenski, I think you are missing a point here. .
First off, the band is basically finished, at least in it's classic form. Has been since Freddie's death.
Second, you seem to be under the impression that people come to sites like this, thinking "Hey, I've never heard of these guys...maybe they are a cool band!", see the forum topics, and head for the hills. Well, that's not a bad theory, but in most cases it's wrong. Odds are good that if you've never heard of a band, you aren't going to google them or do whatever you do to find this page.


Anyone who is going to live their lives and base their musical interests and things on what is posted to some stupid internet forum has way too much time on their hands and no life.
P.S.- If you are so anti this site, then why are you posting here?


think you have missed my point...first of all you say band is finished since Freddie died...well it's legacy shouldn't be...not if it's a "to be taken seriously" band....the who, led zep, purple, and many othes have maintained their status depsite deaths and splits

as for your "comment re the forum" - if you stumbled into a new club and the members were wankers you wouldn't stay to find out much more

and finally, i am not anti this site...i am anti the stepfords who ask banal oft-repeated peurile questions for the sake of being heard


go deo na hÉireann
iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 06, 19:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Unless you're the Rolling Stone magazine.


...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 06, 21:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

CMU HistoryGirl wrote:

Brenski, I think you are missing a point here. .
First off, the band is basically finished, at least in it's classic form. Has been since Freddie's death.
Second, you seem to be under the impression that people come to sites like this, thinking "Hey, I've never heard of these guys...maybe they are a cool band!", see the forum topics, and head for the hills. Well, that's not a bad theory, but in most cases it's wrong. Odds are good that if you've never heard of a band, you aren't going to google them or do whatever you do to find this page.


Anyone who is going to live their lives and base their musical interests and things on what is posted to some stupid internet forum has way too much time on their hands and no life.
P.S.- If you are so anti this site, then why are you posting here?


think you have missed my point...first of all you say band is finished since Freddie died...well it's legacy shouldn't be...not if it's a "to be taken seriously" band....the who, led zep, purple, and many othes have maintained their status depsite deaths and splits

as for your "comment re the forum" - if you stumbled into a new club and the members were wankers you wouldn't stay to find out much more

and finally, i am not anti this site...i am anti the stepfords who ask banal oft-repeated peurile questions for the sake of being heard


Now you missed some points. I said Queen was done "In It's Classical Form". I don't think their legacy is done...it will never be done as long as organized sporting events continue to play WWRY during breaks. Admittedly the legacy is much larger than that, as it should be. I hope the legacy continues to grow. Also, I'm not one of these people who are Anti Queen and PR...I'm thrilled that they are keeping the music alive!
Two: One thing you seem to be missing is the break between fans and the band. Yes, if people come to a board full of wankers (I'll use the british slang here) they won't stay around long to find out more about that forum...it will have no impact on their view of the band, just on that particular forum.
Three: Stepfords who say stupid things for the sake of being heard are everywhere in every country in the world on every forum. Calling attention to them like this is giving them what they want. If you want them to go away so badly, start your own forum, spend your entire life policing the content, and ignore the idiots who still manage to weave their way in.


Formerly MHG
Sweetie user not visiting Queenzone.com
shitbrick
Sweetie
Deity: 2835 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 06, 22:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:


"does anyone have photot's of ******* penis?"


Yes Please


Evil will always triumph 'cause good is dumb.
blerp user not visiting Queenzone.com
blerp
Deity: 2438 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 06, 22:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Users shouldn't get worked up over silly topics, because we haven't even seen them lately.

Most adults and 'mature' teens would just look over these threads and ignore them, not rant about it to their other 'superior, original, Queen fan' companions...oh, and emit inaudible huffs at their computer.


I'm so pissed I could spit.
user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Dec 06, 00:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What, was my post too good for a response or something?


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Dec 06, 00:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What a ridiculous thread; and I'll tell you why.

Someone mentioned 'music press' and kept a straight face. Like *fuck* the music press mean anything. They start out as a bunch of grotty university students praising anything that'll lend them credence, and when they make it big (NME, Rolling Stone) they'll pick good music at random and shit on it from a great height.

Music press.. haha.


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Dec 06, 03:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=666600>Music Man wrote:


Most people know more Queen songs than that of any other classic rock band. On classic rock radio stations across the nation, Queen is one of only three or so STAPLE bands that are GUARANTEED considerable airplay, the other two being Led Zeppelin and the Beatles. On rock and roll best of lists, Queen, its members, and its songs consistently rank among the best of the best.


Are we talking about "public opinion among classic rock fans" or about lists, radios, charts, airplays? I won't hear damned Mozart on radio and won't see him in the charts, but I respect him more than 90% of modern musicians.

Among classic rock fans Queen is not so respectful band as you probably think. "Thanks" to Hot Space, The Works, AKOM and all those glam rock attitude during early 70s, gay rumours etc. Queen were too much *special* and unique classic rock band therefore attitude of "classic rock fans" (and even some musicians like Smith, Weller who are represents classic rock music too) - to Queen is very ambiguous.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Dec 06, 09:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=>LadyMercury wrote:

Users shouldn't get worked up over silly topics, because we haven't even seen them lately.

Most adults and 'mature' teens would just look over these threads and ignore them, not rant about it to their other 'superior, original, Queen fan' companions...oh, and emit inaudible huffs at their computer.


it's not about getting worked up...far from it..i am not worked up...
these are just observations of mine for discussion...and i thought they were quite valid


go deo na hÉireann
iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Dec 06, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<>

Hee-hee. u = rite.


...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
blerp user not visiting Queenzone.com
blerp
Deity: 2438 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Dec 06, 21:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

<font color=>LadyMercury wrote:

Users shouldn't get worked up over silly topics, because we haven't even seen them lately.

Most adults and 'mature' teens would just look over these threads and ignore them, not rant about it to their other 'superior, original, Queen fan' companions...oh, and emit inaudible huffs at their computer.


it's not about getting worked up...far from it..i am not worked up...
these are just observations of mine for discussion...and i thought they were quite valid


I still believe that's the same thing. Without the worked up bit I mentioned.


I'm so pissed I could spit.
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Dec 06, 07:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i don't want to labour the point too greatly...but in "queen - general discussion" we have a thread: "Does Jim hutton Have AIDS?"

it just gets better


go deo na hÉireann
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Dec 06, 08:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know what you mean... there was this one thread where a guy was making less of Queen's contribution to charity. Remarkable.


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Dec 06, 09:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

huge difference between commenting on an open thread ...and starting a banal one off


go deo na hÉireann