Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Queen named 'Greatest British band of all time'

forum rss feed
Author

bomber_dan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 369 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Jan 07, 21:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen named 'Greatest British band of all time'
Tuesday Jan 2 11:53 AEDT
The flamboyant rock group Queen has upstaged the Beatles to win the title of "Greatest British Band of All Time" in a vote organized by BBC Radio.

Queen garnered 400 more votes than the Beatles when more than 20,000 listeners were asked to choose from among five bands that also included the Rolling Stones, Take That and Oasis.

The five emerged from a list of thousands of nominations.

Each group was judged on song-writing, lyrics, live performances, originality and showmanship during a three-hour show in which people voted by email, text and phone.

The Rolling Stones came third in the vote, followed by Oasis in fourth and Take That in fifth.

A BBC spokesman said the vote for Queen had been boosted by a celebrity nomination from teen favourites McFly, who said they had been inspired by the rockers.

Queen, led by their iconic frontman Freddie Mercury who died from an AIDS-related illness in 1991, released a string of hits through the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=174755

About time, I say!

Queen are the best band, and they're still underrated!
bomber_dan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 369 posts

Posted: 01 Jan 07, 21:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well it's not only YOUR opinion is it?

Mine too. And it seems the majority of people. But here in Australia garbage like Wolfmother and AC/DC are 'good' bands and Queen are shite. Oh well, we can't all like the best, only the best like the best!

Queen are the best band, and they're still underrated!
user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts

Posted: 01 Jan 07, 21:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Take That and Oasis! What competition! Not... And McFly influenced the vote? Jesus... Many of the greatest rock bands of all time hail from that island, and these are the bands that are mentioned?

Come on, this article makes this poll look like a crock of shit.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 07, 04:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=666600>Music Man wrote:

Take That and Oasis! What competition! Not... And McFly influenced the vote? Jesus... Many of the greatest rock bands of all time hail from that island, and these are the bands that are mentioned?

I agree. If Zeppelin, Floyd, Cream, and The Who were in the poll, then things would have at least been more interesting and competitive. Even so, what is the criteria? In what way are we judging these bands as being "great"? If it's overall impact on popular culture, then the obvious answer would be The Beatles. If it's about the best live band, then I'd pick either Queen or The Who. If it's about the tightest harmonies, I'd pick The Bee Gees. If it's for best musicianship, then it would be Yes.

But of course, this isn't the way these things work. Queen have been in the UK media quite a lot over these past couple years, so their current popularity can give them a hand in polls like this. I'm happy they're being recognized and all, but the way these polls work in general is pretty shallow. That's why I never take them seriously.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
icefire user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 287 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 07, 04:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i like the statement 'only the best like the best' lol ;)

i didn't expect queen to win over the beatles..that is why i am so happily surprised!!

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 07, 06:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

<b><font color=666600>Music Man wrote:

I agree. If Zeppelin, Floyd, Cream, and The Who were in the poll, then things would have at least been more interesting and competitive. Even so, what is the criteria? In what way are we judging these bands as being "great"? If it's overall impact on popular culture, then the obvious answer would be The Beatles. If it's about the best live band, then I'd pick either Queen or The Who. If it's about the tightest harmonies, I'd pick The Bee Gees. If it's for best musicianship, then it would be Yes.

But of course, this isn't the way these things work. Queen have been in the UK media quite a lot over these past couple years, so their current popularity can give them a hand in polls like this. I'm happy they're being recognized and all, but the way these polls work in general is pretty shallow. That's why I never take them seriously.
i fully agree. most of these lists are crap. It's just a matter of popularity, not quality.
Still nice when your favourite band comes out of it as the winner though. Not that it helps Queen for getting some more serious recognition.

on my way up
una999 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 598 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 07, 10:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

if it was in america they'd be hardly in the top 200 bands if it was greatest band?

why are queen so badly known there? maybe there not...maybe its what we believe!

Daniel vZ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 793 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 07, 10:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"If there's a God or any kind of justice under the sky

If there's a point, if there's a reason to live or die".

firefox-inqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 02 Jan 07, 12:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its good that Queen won, and that they beat the rest but i dont think there the best, no one is the best

Freddie mercury R.I.P
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 07, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

firefox-inqueen wrote:

Its good that Queen won, and that they beat the rest but i dont think there the best, no one is the best

sorry. but the beatles are way ahead of the other four British bands named:

no 1 singles and albums - beatles
total sales - beatles
inpiring other bands - beatles
cited as influential to other bands (including queen) - beatles
making the most of the technology available - beatles
beatles...beatles...beatles - any way you slice it...you still see beatles running thru it... (and btw - i love queen)

go deo na hÉireann
brENsKi

Posted: 02 Jan 07, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

una999 wrote:

if it was in america they'd be hardly in the top 200 bands if it was greatest band?

why are queen so badly known there? maybe there not...maybe its what we believe!

errrm....Hot Space...I want to break free video....change of musical direction (america hated the whole 80s eurorock sound)

go deo na hÉireann
PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 07, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

una999 wrote:

Actually VH1 in the US had a Top 100 Bands a few years ago and Queen were #12.

Drowse1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 153 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 07, 13:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I placed my vote in this "contest". It was on BBC Radio 2 to be exact. What gets me is how, with all the great Brit bands out there, did Take That get in? Half their hits were either covers or were written for them and only Gary Barlow, to my knowledge, can actually play a musical instrument!

Some of the bands who didn't get in the last 5 include, The Who, The Jam, The Kinks, Led Zep, Def Leppard, Deep Purple, Rainbow & T.Rex. Yet Take That were in! They should ban under 9's voting in these things.

I reign with my left hand, I rule with my right.
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 07, 13:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Funny how Queen and The Beatles are the only two bands that belong in that 'top five'.

To quote one of my favourite drummers : "WHERE THE FUCK WERE THE WHO???"

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
brENsKi

Posted: 02 Jan 07, 14:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

one thing that also bugs me a little about this thing....the reason that Queen won?
my best guess...is that on the whole Beatles fans are farily secure in the fact that their band IS THE GREATEST EVER BRITISH BAND (and also greatest ever in the world) and so don't need to whip up a frenzy of "GW Bush-style vote rigging")
- why do Queen fans need to do this? - this is (at least) the third voting poll in recent months where someone has come onto queenzone and "alerted" the immature and the stepfords that it's their duty to vote

as someone put it last time...why can't queen fans let democracy prevail? isn't their some way Richard or Barb could delete any "potential vote-rigging" posts? - personally i would prefer to see the real "florida vote" and not the Bushwhacked arrangement...

go deo na hÉireann
JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 07, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

take that are at number5 because people voted for them .the who are not because people didnt vote for them ,and at this moment in time take that are popular,the who are not.the album and single charts show that.

quite simple really

ps radio2 is not the channel that kids listen to,so they would not have had any influence at all

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

louvox user not visiting Queenzone.com
Make mine a double
louvox
Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 07, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well said. No Question Queen is great band. In my opinion the could have been more influential almost any other band had they continued to create or incorporate new sound into Queen rather than just copy what others were doing during the 80's. That really hurt them especially here in the USA

Louis

A soul for sale or rent

www.tightroperocks.com

louvox user not visiting Queenzone.com
Make mine a double
louvox
Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 07, 16:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well said. No Question Queen is great band. In my opinion the could have been more influential almost any other band had they continued to create or incorporate new sound into Queen rather than just copy what others were doing during the 80's. That really hurt them especially here in the USA

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

one thing that also bugs me a little about this thing....the reason that Queen won?
my best guess...is that on the whole Beatles fans are farily secure in the fact that their band IS THE GREATEST EVER BRITISH BAND (and also greatest ever in the world) and so don't need to whip up a frenzy of "GW Bush-style vote rigging")
- why do Queen fans need to do this? - this is (at least) the third voting poll in recent months where someone has come onto queenzone and "alerted" the immature and the stepfords that it's their duty to vote

as someone put it last time...why can't queen fans let democracy prevail? isn't their some way Richard or Barb could delete any "potential vote-rigging" posts? - personally i would prefer to see the real "florida vote" and not the Bushwhacked arrangement...

Louis

A soul for sale or rent

www.tightroperocks.com

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 07, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

louvox wrote:

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

no need to be alerted here,anyone could of read it on brians site and vote from there.
however no one is being forced to vote for these things.i didnt.

queen are just extremely popular in the uk

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

brENsKi

Posted: 02 Jan 07, 17:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

...ahem! not more popular than the beatles

go deo na hÉireann