Forums > Personal > Learning a second language

forum rss feed
Author

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 07, 17:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Like too many people I know, I speak only one language - English. My 11-year-old daughter, who is homeschooled, wants to learn French and Spanish, and I'd love to learn them with her.

I've heard Rosetta Stone Language Courses are great, but they don't come cheap. Can anyone share their experiences with other foreign language programs? Maybe one that's not $300. :-/


"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury



thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 07, 17:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know I learned English the easy way: I watched kids' tv on BBC, and then when I could grasp it a bit, I started reading little easy English texts, and went from there.

I think that is still the best way, but it takes time. Lots of time.


Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 07, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's sooooo sad that most Americans don't know another language.

Did you know that only 60% of the American people have a passport? I think thats really sad.


Another useless fact. The first female gouvernor of Texas didn't allow people by law, to learn a second language. She said: "If english was good enough for Jesus Christ, it should be good enough for us"

No kidding`1


"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."



(Genesis 1:1)
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 07, 17:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Order Muzzy.

He is your friend.




John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 07, 17:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A candidate for the Texas elections was accused of violating the Cuba-embargo (which, IMHO, should be abolished anyway, because it hurts the PEOPLE of Cuba most) by smoking Havana-cigars.

He replied: "I'm not smoking their tobacco; I'm burning down their plantations!"

I think he should be governor. He may not have a brain, but neither do the other candidates. At least this one has wit.


Having said that, I agree with FriedChicken.


Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 07, 17:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

Another useless fact. The first female gouvernor of Texas didn't allow people by law, to learn a second language. She said: "If english was good enough for Jesus Christ, it should be good enough for us"



That's just disgusting.

Over here, foreign language isn't taught until the upper grades - like 7th, or if you're lucky, 6th. I think it should be taught from when the kids enter kindergarten. I remember mentioning this to my daughter's elementary school principal. She dismissed the idea as if I were a fool she had no time for. There's so much about how kids here are taught that I disagree with - which is why I'm now a homeschooling parent.

TQ - about learning from watching and reading - that probably is the best way, but as you said, it takes a lot of time. We're just getting into the homeschooling routine and hoped for something we could incorporate into our day - even CDs we can listen to on the way to a museum, you know? Something to get us going.

Rick - Muzzy!! So funny. I'd forgotten all about that. I have the Spanish videos and booklet somewhere. My daughter used to watch them instead of Sesame Street. I hope I can find them. Thanks!



"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury



Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 07, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

I know I learned English the easy way: I watched kids' tv on BBC, and then when I could grasp it a bit, I started reading little easy English texts, and went from there.

I think that is still the best way, but it takes time. Lots of time.

I think it's the best way combined with lessons.

I'm still studying English, but I do practise a lot. There are people who study with me and can't make a sentence to save their lives - and they refuse to practise.

But I also have a couple of friends learning the same way you did, without teachers, and their grammar never seems to get better.


We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
Ale Solan user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sod off.
Ale Solan
Deity: 8973 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 07, 18:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mee habla englis good

pute

AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 07, 19:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great idea to learn a second language!!! French and Spanish are a good choice...but you may not want to do them both. They are closely related enough that it may confuse the kids if you try to do them both. However, since they are both latin based languages, once you get one down, it's very easy to learn the other one (without much other work). The earlier you start with the foreign languages, the easier they are, and I think that everyone should learn one.
Now, I personally speak French (probably badly, but it's been a while). In order to brush up, I bought a Computer CD rom 5 disc set from the campus bookstore called "Instant Immersion French" which I've found is very good, and would be easy for the kids to play. It's very visual, and the first disc is really good about vocabulary you will need later. However, you should get a good 101 type of book (you can get them at any university bookstore) to help with the written parts of the language.
Bon Chance!


Formerly MHG
Sweetie user not visiting Queenzone.com
shitbrick
Sweetie
Deity: 2835 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 07, 19:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm Learning Spanish from Dora The Explora


Evil will always triumph 'cause good is dumb.
magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 07, 20:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=red>The Audacity of Charles wrote:

... I don't know if I helped at all... :
O, also - learning the basics of a language like Spanish helped me GREATLY with learning French. The structures are similar - and there are not only English-to-French cognates, but Spanish-to-French cognates, too !


You did help, thank you. I wondered if learning one language would help or hurt our ability to learn another, but this clarified that. Very cool.


CMU HistoryGirl wrote:

Great idea to learn a second language!!! French and Spanish are a good choice...but you may not want to do them both. They are closely related enough that it may confuse the kids if you try to do them both. However, since they are both latin based languages, once you get one down, it's very easy to learn the other one (without much other work).


I hadn't thought about that. So, I’m guessing Spanish first, and then French. Sometimes it seems Spanish is spoken here more than English, so learning it first makes sense... especially if knowing it will help us learn French.


CMU HistoryGirl wrote:


Now, I personally speak French (probably badly, but it's been a while). In order to brush up, I bought a Computer CD rom 5 disc set from the campus bookstore called "Instant Immersion French" which I've found is very good, and would be easy for the kids to play. It's very visual, and the first disc is really good about vocabulary you will need later. However, you should get a good 101 type of book (you can get them at any university bookstore) to help with the written parts of the language.
Bon Chance!


Excellent! Thank you so much, I’ll look into this.

<font color=purple>Miss James wrote:

I was lucky because my mom could speak both French and Latin fluently, so that is what I took in school. I also took American Sign Language in college and would love to take more classes...

I don't have any suggestions, although I think it's a great idea that you and your daughter take the class together! Hope you can find somewhere cheap that gives good classes. :-)


American Sign Language. You know, I met someone years ago who was a teacher for deaf children. I told her I’d always wanted to learn to sign, and she became hostile. She grilled me on who I knew that was deaf and if I’d ever encountered a situation where sign language was necessary. It was a bizarre reaction. Actually, it was more of an attack than anything else. I wondered if I’d somehow insulted her, but I can’t imagine how.
Well... all that to ask how you learned. I have books but feedback from someone who knows is priceless.



"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury



user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 07, 23:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

I think it's sooooo sad that most Americans don't know another language.

Did you know that only 60% of the American people have a passport? I think thats really sad.


Another useless fact. The first female gouvernor of Texas didn't allow people by law, to learn a second language. She said: "If english was good enough for Jesus Christ, it should be good enough for us"

No kidding`1


It's not necessarily sad if they don't use it. In fact, English is becoming a universal language of sorts. It would be wonderful if the entire world could conform to one language, regardless of what it is. It would promote unity and internationalism in the world.

In fact, should this occur, it's likely that the figure as to how many people own passports would greatly increase - not only for the US, but for every other country in the world as well.

You know, I've even heard that it's more like 20% of Americans who own a passport. But you have to consider that travel is very expensive. A passport is not required for travel to Canada or Mexico, I don't believe. Therefore, any international travel an American would make would be far overseas. Very, very expensive, especially for a one or two week vacation.

As far as your last fact, I don't believe it to be accurate. A state governor cannot make that decision. I believe the argument was whether or not Spanish should be used to educate Mexican immigrants, or if English should be the standard. Also, the statement was not a reference to Jesus speaking English, but rather the English used in the King James Bible. While it is granted that this is a stupid reason, there is certainly much room for reasonable discussion on the debate.

Also, the odds of such a quote simply being made up out of dead air are quite high.


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 07, 00:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually, a passport is now required to get into Canada now. Congress passed that law last year. You can still drive across without one until 2008, but anyone who flies in needs one. And after 2008, you'll need one no matter which way you go into the Great White North.
I can't speak for Mexico though


Formerly MHG
user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 07, 01:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CMU HistoryGirl wrote:

Actually, a passport is now required to get into Canada now. Congress passed that law last year. You can still drive across without one until 2008, but anyone who flies in needs one. And after 2008, you'll need one no matter which way you go into the Great White North.
I can't speak for Mexico though


Ah, I see. I wonder what effect that may have on how many passports are issued. Of course, it doesn't do much in the way of learning another language, since half the country speaks English anyway (I think).


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
sparrow 21754 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1947 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 07, 01:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

as a major, im going to be a translator/interpetator

as of now i know italian spanish and french. i will be learning arabic starting this semester.

what i can tell you is have her learn them completely separately. my mistake was to learn italian and spanish at the same time. i guess its good practice so you really get the feel between the languages. luckily spanish and french are quite different, but what i find is sometimes if i spend too much time in one language, i forget the other, THEN it gets confusing.

i also reccomend if its possible to get her to watch her favorite films in her desired languages, preferably overdubbed. also to expand her culturally, have her point out some differences (examples: being celebrations in that country or traditions) and i know theres some people here that can recommend good movies about those, whether comedy, drama, action, or just fiction. this way she will also hold an interest. i would hate to watch a film thats not my style, i would lose interest in both the story line and learning the words. Same with books. so i highly recoomend that.

programs are always nice to learn bit by bit. if you ever get her the chance when shes more fluent, get her to talk to an actual native speaker, that is non judgmental (which means wont laugh or put her down if she makes a mistake). as long as you give her permission to talk to them (making sure they aren't predators and such, since she is young) then its ok. theres plenty of place to do that, and who knows maybe theres a fan on here her age she can talk to.


i love languages, theyre so much fun. and thers plenty of easy way to learn. if shed like help with begginners stuff id be more than happy to help you how to teach it to her :-) more spanish as of now since its been a while with french haha.


why pay the visit when the visit is free?



"this shitty guitar wont play what i want! it only knows three chords!"
iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 07, 01:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know.. Indonesian. The most terrible fucking language in the entire world. Damned Australia...or specifically my school.


...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
Sweetie user not visiting Queenzone.com
shitbrick
Sweetie
Deity: 2835 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 07, 03:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

iGSM wrote:

I know.. Indonesian. The most terrible fucking language in the entire world. Damned Australia...or specifically my school.


You learned Indonesian?

I've been learning Japanese and French at my school


Evil will always triumph 'cause good is dumb.
iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 07, 03:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I did, I did. I'd like to learn Spanish just...so I can be posh.


...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 07, 03:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with what has been said about starting to learn two foreign languages simultaneously. It's not helpful at all.

Language courses can be expensive and still really bad. I am not familiar with courses you can buy in the USA but my experience is that such courses can lead you into a dead end street. If possible you should take at least some conversation classes in a school or from a private teacher. The teacher gives you the feedback you need to work on your personal mistakes and difficulties. You learn so much faster and more efficient if you have a teacher who corrects your mistakes at an early stage.


I do not want any google ads here.

eenaweena. user not visiting Queenzone.com
eenaweena.
Deity: 2355 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 07, 05:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i know two languages: english and filipino/tagalog. so, i'm bilingual. and, filipino is really close to some spanish words.. just sharing. :)