Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Releasing Queen dvds in 4:3 a big mistake

forum rss feed
Author

Another Roger (re) user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 441 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Jan 07, 06:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thats what I think. I disagree with the puritists on the forum that wants everything to be released in the original format. I recently bought Flåklypa Grand Prix from 1975 on dvd. They decided to release it in the format of the future, widescreen. They used some excellent techniques to show the whole picture. They kinda rolled the pic from top to bottom which worked great. You dont have to cut off anyones had or anything.

Noone will care about these 4:3 releases in the future, except hardcore Queenfans, and puritists, which are few in numbers.

Basically blind em and deaf em in the first 10 minutes, and while they are recovering from that put in the less good songs
Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 19 Jan 07, 07:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's far from a big mistake. I can't personally think of many bands that have released old footage on DVD, and butchered it for widescreen. About 99% of DVD releases of old footage are in their original aspect ratio, but QP fucked it up. If it wasn't filmed in widescreen, it shouldn't be released in widescreen. The whole concept of widescreen being used for new DVD's and TV, is to force the consumer to purchase a new TV set anyway.

Another Roger (re) user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 441 posts

Posted: 19 Jan 07, 07:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The "We Will Rock You" concert are released in Widescreen. And I assume that the original picture was 4:3? I havent checked this, so correct me if I am wrong.

Basically blind em and deaf em in the first 10 minutes, and while they are recovering from that put in the less good songs
Johan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 162 posts

Posted: 19 Jan 07, 08:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe the We Will Rock You 81 concert was shot on film as it was originally filmed to be shown at theatres. Furthermore it is not a Queen Productions DVD.

Ride The Night To The Morning Sun..!
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 19 Jan 07, 08:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay, just going off the two Queen releases that are on my desk at the moment...

What an idiotic thing to say. 4:3 a big mistake?

THINK, MCFLY. If something is shot in 4:3, it must be released as 4:3. Live at Wembley? Shot with TV cameras - to put that in 16:9 or whatever would crop part of the image, or make Freddie look like a fucking porker.

I wanted to SHOOT someone when I got GVHII and half the videos were squished. And the cover proudly boasted it was all in 16:9...

Hairy balls to THAT I say. What a fucking jip.

4:3 a mistake???

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/6404/whagz2.jpg

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Dane user not visiting Queenzone.com
No strings attached!
Dane
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 19 Jan 07, 09:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When you have to cut things off, you're not giving all you got. so indeed.. what is filmed in 4:3 must stay this way. Besides, most widescreen televisions have a button on their remote to fake 16:9 from 4:3 (without stretching). So in any case there is no reason to start butchering archive material which fans have been waiting for.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Queen Visual Library (www.qvl.nl)
bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 19 Jan 07, 10:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cropping the videos from their original 4:3 to 16:9 widescreen version is not a big mistake. Far from it...

IT'S A BIG, HUGE FUCK UP!!!

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 19 Jan 07, 10:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Some of the results looking amazingly bad.

A Kind of Magic and Radio Ga Ga spring to mind.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 19 Jan 07, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What really fucking pissed me off, was that it's basically irreversible for most TVs. It's easy enough to press 16:9 mode, or 4:3 mode, but there's no option for what the GHII DVD has... which is, I dunno... 'correct the retarded reformatting' mode.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1417 posts

Posted: 19 Jan 07, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dane wrote:

When you have to cut things off, you're not giving all you got. so indeed.. what is filmed in 4:3 must stay this way. Besides, most widescreen televisions have a button on their remote to fake 16:9 from 4:3 (without stretching). So in any case there is no reason to start butchering archive material which fans have been waiting for.

Couldn't say it better. Brilliant.

Wilki Amieva

Posted: 19 Jan 07, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Furthermore, what about the video directors? If they originally framed without mattes, then the planned 4:3 aspect ratio should be mantained. I rather have wasted space in my widescreen TV/monitor to suffer the losing of 25% of the frame as intended by the director.

Wilki Amieva

Posted: 19 Jan 07, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not to mention annoying things like Freddie's hand crossing while playing Bohemian Rhapsody getting chopped in the GVH DVD clip. One of the trademarks of the video is no more just because some idiot though it would be nice to automatically see things a little bigger on widescreen devices. I hated that one - it sucks bigtime.

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 19 Jan 07, 11:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have a great idea.

Most new picture frames are 16.9 landscape.
Why don't we cut the portrait of the Mona Lisa canvas to fit one of these too?

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Wilki Amieva

Posted: 19 Jan 07, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, art at the service of technology...

While 'Humans' think like that, the 'Machines' have won already.

kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 19 Jan 07, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who cares it's all about the audio on the dvd's not the vids. Dont you get that. I could careless about how the videos look, they're good enough. I wasnt to bothered by the 16:9 on GVH II either, in fact I didnt even notice lol

PieterMC

Posted: 19 Jan 07, 12:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why buy it then if you don't care about the videos? Just listen to the CD.

_Bijou_ user not visiting Queenzone.com
_Bijou_
Bohemian: 292 posts

Posted: 19 Jan 07, 13:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hate widescreen. I love the 4:3 screen. :)

www.youtube.com/user/StarSupernova2

Please visit my site at:

www.freewebs.com/queenheaven

*(UPDATED 06/05/08)*
kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 19 Jan 07, 13:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

Genius, because the dvds are in 5.1, jeez!!!!!!!!! some people lol.

PieterMC

Posted: 19 Jan 07, 13:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kdj2hot wrote:

PieterMC wrote:

Genius, because the dvds are in 5.1, jeez!!!!!!!!! some people lol.

Yes - really shitty 5.1 with no center channel.

Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts

Posted: 19 Jan 07, 14:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

Some of the results looking amazingly bad.

A Kind of Magic and Radio Ga Ga spring to mind.

They screwed up AKOM by squeezing down the already letterboxed video instead of cropping it. As for Ga Ga, I think it actually works best the way they did it. A uniform height whilst getting wider in some sections. This reflects the director's desire to have the image become wider at times.

Hard as I've tried and as much as I hate the idea of losing some of the original image to make something artificial widescreen, I can't point to any of the videos which really seem to lose anything important.. the only one I notice being cropped is "Body Language" because some of the arrows are incomplete.

I think the biggest problem is the actual quality of the material itself. The older videos have this 'fuzzy' colored graininess in them from some sort of processing. YMBF is a good example. It looks really bad and yet I know better versions of this stuff must exist somewhere. The karaoke hits videos have much better picture quality, but they have that damn lyric text burnt into them.

It's a good thing the extras make up for the screwed-up videos though. I just hope someday a better version of everything emerges.

I always think of 'Best Of Bowie' when considering the quality of old music videos. ALL of his videos dating back to early BBC stuff from 1969 or so look fantastic on that set.

As for the 4.1 mixes, it looks like Justin Shirley Smith is to blame for this. His explanation of this centers around lead vocal being in the center channel, as if that's the only thing they could put there. He wants the center to be forced to the front right & left, rather than giving consumers the choice of doing that in their receivers if they don't have or don't want a center speaker. Apparently we're stuck with his own twisted listening preference.

The DVD-A releases have plenty of center action because another company was involved (DTS Entertainment) and they wouldn't dare pull the shit that Queen did with the video hits, not making full use of the 5.1.