Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > u2 and Queen

forum rss feed
Author

Sherwood Forest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3547 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Jan 07, 18:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

can someone shed some light on the Queen vs. U2 or Freddie vs. Bono situation. Whenever i hear people on QZ talking about Queen and u2 its pretty negative or something. Is it just a matter of those people's opinions or was something said a while back

One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 07, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

People just have their opinions. Occasionally some not-too-bright spark tries to extrapolate mutual antagonism between the relevant subjects.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 07, 20:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

U2 are nice songwriters, but only average performers (except Bono). The Edge is for me much more a sound engineer (or something like than) than a guitarist.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Jan78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 264 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 07, 21:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like U2, because I like music to have a minimum amount of brain. That's why I also like Iron Maiden. But U2 can do wrong. I so don't want to listen to a lot of their songs because they're plain boring. Most of these songs are on ATYCLB and Passengers. But Achtung Baby is still one of the best records they made.

Now did U2 and Queen have any relationship? The closest you get to it is maybe http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssbjan07.html#09 where Brian says that he's proud to be in a U2 video, even if it's sort of home made or whatever.
What Freddie thought about Bono, I don't know, I'm sure he took notice of U2 around 87/88 when they got big, but I can't imagine he particularly cared.

U2 in return might surely drop the average statement about Queen being a great influence and great musicians and blabla, if you seriously asked them in an interview.

Jan

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 07, 21:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the person is referring to the time Freddie kicked Bono's ass backstage at LIVE AID...

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Jan78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 264 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 07, 21:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Myth, I'm sure. Freddie had a good time meeting Elton, George Michael, Bowie and others when they weren't able to go straight back home after the show. Why would he bother pinning Bono against the wall. They had minor popularity back then with War and The Unforgettable Fire. They spent most of their Live Aid set playing Bad which went on forever...I absolutely can't imagine Freddie even noticing him much. An Irish band being political and religious with their music, waving white flags and whatnot. He liked Prince and Aretha Franklin etc...
I'm 99% sure it is indeed a myth.

Jan

Ruiiii user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 27 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 07, 21:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really like u2. but i must say i prefer that activist sociopolitical rock from the begining.
u2 are great. in my opinion the were the follow up of queen in international sucess. But hey!!!! it's just an opinion!!!

Rui Bajouka
Ruiiii user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 27 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 07, 21:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rui Bajouka
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 07, 22:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And Freddie shared a mic with Bono and Geldof on Live Aid finale, then with Bono and Sir Paul some seconds later...

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
junketerQ2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 152 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 07, 02:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

According to Bono in the recently released "U2 By U2" book, Feddie baled Bono up backstage at Live Aid & asked him how "Bono" was pronounced & made some comment about how he thought that all the newer singers at that time just shouted but Bono could sing alright, or at least something like that. Bono also thought Freddie was way campy.

I like U2 alot & think they put on an awesome live show. The music is mostly good & i have alot of respect for their beliefs.

By the way, don't go knocking Bono until you have read the book "Bono On Bono" by Michka Assayas!

i-Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com
i-Fred
Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 07, 06:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

junketerQ2 wrote:

According to Bono in the recently released "U2 By U2" book, Feddie baled Bono up backstage at Live Aid & asked him how "Bono" was pronounced & made some comment about how he thought that all the newer singers at that time just shouted but Bono could sing alright, or at least something like that. Bono also thought Freddie was way campy.

I like U2 alot & think they put on an awesome live show. The music is mostly good & i have alot of respect for their beliefs.

By the way, don't go knocking Bono until you have read the book "Bono On Bono" by Michka Assayas!

I aint knocking on him,,, but whats so good about the book?

dougie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 67 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 07, 07:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let's not forget that U2 sent flowers when Freddie passed away.

Also, when U2 was touring in support of the Joshua Tree, Roger claimed that U2 was his "favorite band . . . at the moment."

I've never seen Freddie quoted concerning U2. I bet he WOULD have said something like, "They have their audience and have been very successful, but that's not what we do, my dear."

Queen and U2 have very different artistic styles. Queen had brilliant musicianship and loved to show it off, with a wink and a nod. U2's music is more personal, earnest and from the heart, with wonderful lyrics. I think even the very defensive Brian May would admit that Queen's lyrics don't measure up.

Funny thing is though, their careers have had parallel paths. Their four-member lineups never changed since recording studio albums; their live albums were kind of slagged (Live Killers and Rattle and Hum) - undeservedly IMO; their biggest hit albums (The Game and Achtung Baby) were followed by clunkers(Hot Space and Zooropa/Pop); and they both played it relatively safe ever since those clunkers.

Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user is on Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2256 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 07, 09:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know if you want to restrict this thread to the Freddie Mercury era, but Bono and The Edge took part in 46664 South Africa, where Bono even sung "Amandla", a Queen+Dave Stewart song.

Cheers,

Ogre-

Keep Passing the Open Windows
chazz12345 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 07, 09:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ya u2 used we will rock you on one of their tours. they dont hate eachother, but its obvious they have different styles.

personally i think u2 are what queen would have been today (staying together for 30yrs and still big!)

u2 songs are great, but would i listen to a whole u2 album - NO. Their individual songs are great but overall they sound roughly the same. i guess thats why i like queen - they're diverse.

Katicas..(L) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 162 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 07, 11:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the only song i like by u2 is probaly the saints are coming they did with green day.

Signature??

I cant write on this can i??
Kevin Spacey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 75 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 07, 11:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

there and back again...

Punctuality is the thief of time
Bob-Plant user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 07, 11:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

azzadude wrote:

I just dont like U2. To over rated. It seems they cant do no wrong. Has nothing to do with my liking for Queen.

Exactly. The way Rolling Stone promotes them you'd think they were on their payroll. Every album is 5 stars, Bono is the second coming, blah blah blah...

"The things you have to do for money..."
sexmachine user not visiting Queenzone.com
ready to reload
sexmachine
Bohemian: 466 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 07, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

U2 are nice songwriters, but only average performers (except Bono). The Edge is for me much more a sound engineer (or something like than) than a guitarist.

i don´t agree at all.
i think u2 are the greatest stadium-live band with the best and most satisfying performance in the last 10 years and the edge is (next to johnny marr) the greatest and most influential guitar player from the 80s post punk era.

Picture yourself in a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
Bono Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 134 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 07, 13:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

U2 are one of my favourite bands as far as i know U2 and Queen had the greatest respect for each other like ye all said Freddie and Bono shared a mic at Live Aid Brian May said The Edge is one of the best guitar players in the world plus in one of the U2 books Bono played a tribute to Freddie saying what a cool guy he was in one of their concerts he was playing with the band.they also sent flowers to Freddie's funerel and they played at the Freddie Mercury tribute via satellite.I dont know was it live or recorded but it was a great effort of will to pay tribute to one of rocks finest. Ithink Queen And U2 are the best bands in the world ever. So there

And All I Can Do Is Surrender.
Sherwood Forest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3547 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 07, 17:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think probably if Queen were still rocking now there would be a little competition between the two.
I do like u2 and thats why it bothered me to think my two favorite bands might have hated eachother.
I did see that u2 comment on brian's website but i was also wondering about Freddie's realtionship with Bono but now i can see that it was a rumor and not fact.

Thank you!

One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1