Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Freddie NEVER said Paul Rodgers is his "hero",

forum rss feed
Author

theCro user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1056 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Jan 07, 16:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's all big lie if you ask me, or misundersanding?...

I've been listening to most of the Freddie's interviews, audio and video ones, in all possible quality... and the thing is he NEVER said ANYTHING about Paul Rodgers, not even a WORD!

So Brian and Roger are now saying he was one of Freddie's "hero" and "all time best singer"... what do you have to say about this?

user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 07, 16:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to say that you can't tell everything about a person merely from interviews. I think being life-long friends and colleagues holds more water, actually, don't you?

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
FredRICE user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 07, 16:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

he never mentioned that indeed. i never read it anywhere in freddies book in his own words..interviews or watherver

its a lie just to promote Paul rogers

i believe thecro...I agree

SomebodyWhoLoves user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 842 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 07, 16:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

musicman, I think you're wrong here.

Brian and Roger are businesmen, and clearly, they are fibbing a bit here.

Clearly, they only said this to justify hiring Paul Rogers in the first place.

FredRICE user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 07, 16:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

trueeeeee!!!!

and surely freddie was a fan of Robbie williams too.....yeah right...

Rompez user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 222 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 07, 17:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rompez user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 222 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 07, 17:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually it was Rodger who said that Paul was great singer back in the 70's. There was some TV quiz show with Rodger as a guest. He had to guess the singer of the song. And he answered something like: "of course, it is great... GREAT Paul Rodgers!" His face was shining. There is a clip from that show somewhere on the Youtube. Rodger is not Freddie but anyway this story tells us a lot, does it? And speaking about Free's influence on Queen. Listen to It's Late and you will feel it.

August R. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 561 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 07, 17:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rompez wrote:

Actually it was Rodger who said that Paul was great singer back in the 70's. There was some TV quiz show with Rodger as a guest. He had to guess the singer of the song. And he answered something like: "of course, it is great... GREAT Paul Rodgers!" His face was shining. There is a clip from that show somewhere on the Youtube. Rodger is not Freddie but anyway this story tells us a lot, does it? And speaking about Free's influence on Queen. Listen to It's Late and you will feel it.

Who the hell is this Rodger-person and what's he got to do with Queen?!?

claudiox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 07, 18:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just to pay my tribute, I tell you, I think there's nothing strange about Rog&Bri comments 'bout Paul. Q+PR it's merely a new collaboration wich means a unexpected occasion for younger fans (like me) to hear the awesome queen sound live on today. Queen had surely more and more success than PR, Free, BadCompany, etc. So it's possible that Freddie or anyone from queen quite appreciated the (anyway) talented Paul voice and performances. Obiously Roger and Brian used to promote Paul, but there's nothing wrong in it.
bye
Cla

7 seas of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1817 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 07, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why would Paul be Freddie's hero? Freddie was a million times better than him in every way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdoo21lvza8

^greatest video ever made

"If I get the answer wrong, you can kick me in the nuts" -Sean

I am the most obsessed Queen fan.
Thomas Tønnesen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 432 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 07, 18:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's complete bullshit to say that Brian and Roger are using this to promote Paul Rodgers. They lived, played and experienced all that is Queen - together with Freddie. Of course they would know if Freddie respected Paul Rodger. I do also find it likely that he in fact respected Rodgers a lot....

My point is that it's stupid to say that Brian and Roger are just doing it for justification of the new breed of Queen..... We wouldnt know - they do!!

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 07, 18:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also never heard Freddie say that he wrote Delilah, I never heard him say that John Lennon was a hero of him.

Why won't you believe 2 friends, who knew him best for almost 25 years

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Back2TheLight user not visiting Queenzone.com
Back2TheLight
Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 07, 18:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think there was ever mention of Paul being a hero of Freddie's...I think he thought of Paul as a good singer probably, but probably nothing more than that.

I Want It All And I Want It Now!!
skiqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 678 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 07, 19:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

freddie was known to be very private, and he didnt have that many interviews. for instance, he liked indian food, but he never really said anything about it. the only people who knew such personal info was peter and the band. so dont base freddies interests on what he said in interviews, because there might be tons of things that he liked but never said anything about them to the public.

and as previously stated, i dont care whether freddie liked paul or not. what difference does it make?

"Boredom is the biggest disease in the whole world, darling."

Unfortunately, I have it.

Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 07, 19:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=666600>Music Man wrote:

I have to say that you can't tell everything about a person merely from interviews. I think being life-long friends and colleagues holds more water, actually, don't you?
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
Styx user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 07, 19:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sad thing is Roger and Brian can say anything and some will believe it. True they were bandmates but that doesn't mean they know everything about him. It seems like they only lie thesedays...Kudos to 'ol Johnny! The only member i respect.

Mr Faron Hyte user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 565 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 07, 19:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The topic starter is under the obvious misconception that Freddie Mercury never said anything that he didn't repeat in an interview. Given Freddie's well-known dislike of the press, I dare say there was an avalanche of things he didn't say during interviews.

Another repetetive topic started by a member of the Cult of Fred. Freddie's memory and reputation does not need defending by a bunch of hysterical bedwetting teenagers with internet access.

teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 07, 19:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

August R. wrote:

Who the hell is this Rodger-person and what's he got to do with Queen?!?

A good friend of Paul Rogers? LOL

Who knows what Freddie thought of Paul Rodgers? Free were playing major festivals before Queen got up and running.
Freddie could easily have admired the fact that a young singer like Paul Rodgers was doing that at the time when Freddie was still just dreaming of it.
Or possibly he couldn't have cared less. Who cares?
I sure as hell don't but for people like the original poster, if you don't believe Brian and Roger that's your perogative but calling a person a liar requires proof and there is a possibility, however remote, that Freddie did have some awareness/admiration/respect/whatever toward Paul Rodgers.

Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 07, 20:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I laugh my ass off at these people who think they know Freddie's likes and dislikes because they never read it in a interview..LOL and then they have the gall to call lifetime friends of his(and members of their favorite band, supposedly)liars.

Never mind the fact that Freddie loathed interviews, was a very private person, and didn't grant many interviews.

What was Freddie's favorite cereal?
Oh gee, I guess he didn't eat cereal because I never read that he did in an interview.

The bottome line is that any aspiring British vocalist worth his salt in the early seventies would have acknowledged Paul as one of the best in the biz.

That's a fucking fact. Live with it.

Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 07, 20:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Knute wrote:

What was Freddie's favorite cereal?
Oh gee, I guess he didn't eat cereal because I never read that he did in an interview.

Ha! That was great!

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd