Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Queen rocks

forum rss feed
Author

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Jan 07, 02:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I want to discuss the lost opportunity that was "Queen Rocks" It was suppose to be the album that showed the average rock fan how Queen were more than "another one bites the dust" type songs. I remember some of my hard rock friends at the time buying this album and me thinking how cool that was. The album was good but somehow missed the mark. The album has it's good songs, tie your mother down, sheer heart attack, stone cold crazy, but also some what were you thinking? songs, like "put out the fire" and the only freddie song "seven seas" "only the good die young" "I can't live with you" didn't even belong. All these songs are good, but, If Queen really wanted to make their mark with hard rock fans they would have replaced those songs with "orge battle" "brighton rock" "liar" and "Innuendo/The show must go on" Queen rocks was a great idea, but the song selection didn't work in my opinion.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Jan 07, 03:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Talking about commercial songs: I can't see how replacing of I Can't Live With You on Ogre Battle would help to sell more of that compilation to non-Queen fans for whom both of those songs means nothing at all...

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Jan 07, 06:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I see it as a basically irrelevant compilation because it was only a couple of years before people wound up just making their OWN damn CDs!! I see little point in getting Brian May to pick songs for a mix tape to go in my car (theoretically of course - I don't actually drive) when I can just pick the songs myself.

I liked it at the time because it had No One But You on it. Call me a softy.


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Jan 07, 08:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I see this album as when Brian had his hardest boner going to show everyone that "Hello, I was in Queen too. Queen wasn't just Freddie."...

So the song collection was 90% Brian, a Roger, and some of Freddie's lamest tracks...and John who?

This album came out at the same time when in interviews Brian was really boasting up his own accomplishments in the band and downplaying everyone elses. I have a 1993 interview from GFTPM U.S.A where a casual reader would walk away from the article thinking that with the exception of Bo Rhap, Brian May wrote every other hit in the Queen catalog.

Personally, I feel Brian has always kind of hated the fact that as far as the charts go, Freddie was the bands chief songwriter.

And maybe that would be hard?? Think of all the great hits Brian has wrote....and yet he still (according to the charts and the buying public) got upstaged by someone in his own group.




Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Jan 07, 08:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmm, I don't really buy into that theory too much. I'm sure Brian has felt that way at times but the way I see it, this compilation was just an excuse to have a place to put the new song. And being geared towards heavier tracks, Brian's guitar-driven stuff got picked the most.

But regardless of that, what does it hurt? There's so much animosity towards anything Brian does which might assert his role in Queen. People just want to bitch about something.

Brian put in the years of songwriting, recording, touring, promoting Queen just as much as the other guys and I respect his right to take a more visible/vocal approach to the Queen legacy, just as I respect Roger's more laid-back approach and John's decision to retire. Nobody's gonna forget Freddie's input in Queen. I don't think Brian could do anything to reduce that.


"Results 1 - 20 of about 450 from brianmay.com for freddie."
Brian's own site certainly doesn't shy away from mentioning Freddie.

Bo Alex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Alex
Bohemian: 494 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Jan 07, 13:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's a lot of great Queen rock songs that weren't in this compilation: Great King Rat, Son & Daughter, Father To Son, Ogre Battle, Brighton Rock, White Man, Dead On Time, Princes Of The Universe, Was It All Worth It, I Go Crazy for some examples.


A man who learnt how to teach, but forgot how to learn.

A la grande le puse cuca!!
louvox user not visiting Queenzone.com
Make mine a double
louvox
Bohemian: 385 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Jan 07, 16:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scott_Mercury wrote:

I see this album as when Brian had his hardest boner going to show everyone that "Hello, I was in Queen too. Queen wasn't just Freddie."...

So the song collection was 90% Brian, a Roger, and some of Freddie's lamest tracks...and John who?

This album came out at the same time when in interviews Brian was really boasting up his own accomplishments in the band and downplaying everyone elses. I have a 1993 interview from GFTPM U.S.A where a casual reader would walk away from the article thinking that with the exception of Bo Rhap, Brian May wrote every other hit in the Queen catalog.

Personally, I feel Brian has always kind of hated the fact that as far as the charts go, Freddie was the bands chief songwriter.

And maybe that would be hard?? Think of all the great hits Brian has wrote....and yet he still (according to the charts and the buying public) got upstaged by someone in his own group.

Where does all this Brian May bashing come from? Do any of you know for a fact that he had sole control over what songs were picked for that compilation? I’m sure their record company had a lot to say over what songs were to be included.
Brian contributed almost as much as Freddie from 1973 to 1980. His contributions of course decreased from that point on, but none of us will ever know the real reason why. I suspect that he wasn’t real happy with the direction the group decided to take his songs were either shot down by the others or didn’t fit in with the context of the albums. We also know he was going through difficulties in his personal life, so that may have had something to do with it. Just because something is popular doesn’t necessarily make it good. So the upstage part doesn’t really fly. It’s no big surprise that it’s 90% his songs on that compilation considering his style. I agree there are better Freddie songs that should have been included (Death on two legs, Ogre battle, Let me entertain you) but as far as Roger & John’s songs the vast majority of theirs were more pop orientated.




Louis

A soul for sale or rent

www.tightroperocks.com

louvox user not visiting Queenzone.com
Make mine a double
louvox
Bohemian: 385 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Jan 07, 16:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Where does all this Brian May bashing come from? Do any of you know for a fact that he had sole control over what songs were picked for that compilation? I’m sure their record company had a lot to say over what songs were to be included.
Brian contributed almost as much as Freddie from 1973 to 1980. His contributions of course decreased from that point on, but none of us will ever know the real reason why. I suspect that he wasn’t real happy with the direction the group decided to take and his songs were either shot down by the others or didn’t fit in with the context of the albums. We also know he was going through difficulties in his personal life, so that may have had something to do with it. Just because something is popular doesn’t necessarily make it good. So the upstage part doesn’t really fly. It’s no big surprise that it’s 90% his songs on that compilation considering his style. I agree there are better Freddie songs that should have been included (Death on two legs, Ogre battle, Let me entertain you) but as far as Roger & John’s songs the vast majority of theirs were more pop orientated.



Louis

A soul for sale or rent

www.tightroperocks.com

i-Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com
i-Fred
Bohemian: 403 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Jan 07, 18:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

Talking about commercial songs: I can't see how replacing of I Can't Live With You on Ogre Battle would help to sell more of that compilation to non-Queen fans for whom both of those songs means nothing at all...


I wouldnt care about the sales. I knew mates who liked heavy stuff, and if this album had all the heavy stuff then they could see a different side of queen. dig it.


...
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Feb 07, 00:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

shemp wrote:

Serry... wrote:

Talking about commercial songs: I can't see how replacing of I Can't Live With You on Ogre Battle would help to sell more of that compilation to non-Queen fans for whom both of those songs means nothing at all...


I wouldnt care about the sales. I knew mates who liked heavy stuff, and if this album had all the heavy stuff then they could see a different side of queen. dig it.
yea, I think serry missed my point. Sales have nothing to do with it. It was a chance for hard rock fans to see a side of queen that you don't get from the greatest hits. I'm not bashing brian may at all, he was in fact the sound of queen. I'll always say all four members were Important, but freddie and brian were the genious of this band. That will always be my opinion. "seven seas" was a great song, it's not lame at all, but it belongs on greatest hits, not on "rocks." It's not a huge deal, but these little things irk me....Orge battle deserves to be noticed.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Feb 07, 01:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I dunno. If I were Brian May I'd have a boner too.


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Feb 07, 02:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

yea, I think serry missed my point.


I'm really sorry Mike, maybe I missed your point, maybe I missed my brain, but my reply was to azzadude who wrote about "commercial songs". That's why I can't understand why you and shemp are arguing with me...

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Feb 07, 09:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember at the time a Brian´s interview where he said that the band was aproached by EMI to do this project, and he was thinking about a different setlist, but in the end some of the hits already on GH1&2 were there to help selling the CD.

So, let´s not blame Brian of everything bad that hapens to Queen after Freddie´s death. It´s a pitty that the CD didn´t sell because they were thinking on the Volume 2, and that would mean the second Queen (with John) collaboration.

If you guys look at Queen back catalogue it´s only normal that Brian has the best songs to feature on the best Rocks compilation.

On the other hand, if some Love songs or romantic songs were put together it would be Freddie´s the major contributor.

I don´t know why every now and then this issue comes to discussion, like Brian is jealous of Freddie, or the royalties stuff. Brian looked for 30 years for the original songwriters of what would be Queen´s "See what a fool i´ve been" to guive them the royalties to the song. Since the guy was already dead he said the family would receive it instead.

I don´t think Brian does his musical decisions based on money anymore. He has plenty of it!

Take care

louvox user not visiting Queenzone.com
Make mine a double
louvox
Bohemian: 385 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Feb 07, 11:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bobby_brown wrote:

I remember at the time a Brian´s interview where he said that the band was aproached by EMI to do this project, and he was thinking about a different setlist, but in the end some of the hits already on GH1&2 were there to help selling the CD.

So, let´s not blame Brian of everything bad that hapens to Queen after Freddie´s death. It´s a pitty that the CD didn´t sell because they were thinking on the Volume 2, and that would mean the second Queen (with John) collaboration.

If you guys look at Queen back catalogue it´s only normal that Brian has the best songs to feature on the best Rocks compilation.

On the other hand, if some Love songs or romantic songs were put together it would be Freddie´s the major contributor.

I don´t know why every now and then this issue comes to discussion, like Brian is jealous of Freddie, or the royalties stuff. Brian looked for 30 years for the original songwriters of what would be Queen´s "See what a fool i´ve been" to guive them the royalties to the song. Since the guy was already dead he said the family would receive it instead.

I don´t think Brian does his musical decisions based on money anymore. He has plenty of it!

Take care

Well said!


Louis

A soul for sale or rent

www.tightroperocks.com

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Feb 07, 15:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

At the time of it's release, this was the only way US fans could get No One But You and the new version of I Can't Live With You, which is probably why it sold fairly well here. But I agree, the tracks don't all "rock".

A much better Queen Rocks was the Hollywood 4CD set that was released at the time Innuendo came out as a promo only deal.



i-Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com
i-Fred
Bohemian: 403 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Feb 07, 17:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

mike hunt wrote:

yea, I think serry missed my point.


I'm really sorry Mike, maybe I missed your point, maybe I missed my brain, but my reply was to azzadude who wrote about "commercial songs". That's why I can't understand why you and shemp are arguing with me...


Im not arguing with you. Im saying that the rocks album had more commercial songs which were radio friendly. These songs did not show the depth of queen’s potential heavier songs once taken in comparison. As for sales, yeah your right, one or two songs might not make a difference, but then again, some times non Queen fans see Bo Rap on the back cover and by the album coz they like that song. Point is, as a rock album, Queen had many more songs that were heavy that did not find there way to the album, much heavier songs that should some one buy the album, they would agree Queen could %100 rock!


...
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Feb 07, 02:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

another example is "tear it up" another weaker song. The "rocks" idea was great, and I think this CD could have been amazing. For those who say it's only natural mostly brian songs were on an album like this are fooling themselves. In the early years freddie wrote some of Queens heaviest tracks ever. That's a fact, not an opinion.

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Feb 07, 09:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

another example is "tear it up" another weaker song. The "rocks" idea was great, and I think this CD could have been amazing. For those who say it's only natural mostly brian songs were on an album like this are fooling themselves. In the early years freddie wrote some of Queens heaviest tracks ever. That's a fact, not an opinion.



Please, read again! Of course what you say it´s correct, Freddie did write some heavy songs in the early days, but if you look at ALL Queen career, you´ll find out that in the end Brian has more hard rock songs than Freddie. Am i corect or not?



Take care

Drummer imense! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Drummer imense!
Bohemian: 267 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Feb 07, 19:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally the 2 tracks that could have gone on the album was 'Let me entertain you', thats a great track to rock out to, also 'sweet lady' has its appeal as it is a good rocky song, even if the playing on the track is a little suspect in my opinion.


I'm not a river or a giant bird, that soars to the sea, an if i'm never tied to anything i'll never be free!
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Feb 07, 00:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bobby_brown wrote:

mike hunt wrote:

another example is "tear it up" another weaker song. The "rocks" idea was great, and I think this CD could have been amazing. For those who say it's only natural mostly brian songs were on an album like this are fooling themselves. In the early years freddie wrote some of Queens heaviest tracks ever. That's a fact, not an opinion.



Please, read again! Of course what you say it´s correct, Freddie did write some heavy songs in the early days, but if you look at ALL Queen career, you´ll find out that in the end Brian has more hard rock songs than Freddie. Am i corect or not?



Take care
your 100% correct.