Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > What are the single most stunning and rare items of Queen memorabilia EVER?

forum rss feed
Author

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Feb 07, 14:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As everyone knows, Richard Gray and myself (when I'm not being bone idle and lazy) are working hard on our book with Brian, I WANT IT ALL! 35 Years of Queen Memorabilia.

We believe we have covered EVERY amazing item there is. I have been sent scans of some stunning things I'd never seen before, most notably from the Races and News Of The World albums, but also from Live Killers, Sheer Heart and Hits 1, etc.

There are things like Live Killers and Jazz cigarette lighters (yes a Jazz one), LK frisbie, Innuendo camera, Jazz promo bicycles and badges and note pads and stationery, all the coloured vinyl everyone knows about (inc Columbian Killers), picture discs, hanging mobiles, NATO shop display kit, press its, acetates, playing cards, NOTW robot and mirrors, jigsaw puzzles, Races belt and board game... etc. A mammoth amount of stuff.

So... in order that we miss NOTHING, does anyone out there know of, or actually have, any amazing Queen item (not solo related) that we might not know about???? We would like the book to include every significant item ever produced.

I'm not talking about 'quite' nice things, or reasonably rare, I'm talking here only about MEGA RARE and mega amazing things. Not bootlegs, but real promotional items.

Do you have anything like that?

GB
PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

unknown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 400 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 07, 15:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are you also interested in badges/pins? I bought one on ebay; I think it was used to promote Queen I:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m82/daria333/0b_1_b.jpg

Actually, there are quite an amount of vintage Queen badges on ebay.

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 07, 15:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Pieter,

This is the kind of thing, yes, but this one is actually a licensed product. Richard oversaw this. But thanks.

GB
Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 07, 15:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jazz cigarette lighters? Frisbee? Man and I thought a Smile drumskin or a 1971 Queen concert flyer are more interesting!

PieterMC

Posted: 05 Feb 07, 15:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

Thanks Pieter,

This is the kind of thing, yes, but this one is actually a licensed product. Richard oversaw this. But thanks.

Is there anything that the band won't stick their name on? I'm just waiting for the official Queen toilet paper.

Jan78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 264 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 07, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Martin,

I thought the same...it is like they make a book out of that exhibition catalogue that came out a few years ago for the exhibition held in Germany, Wesel was the name of the town, I presume. That was full of that stuff, the frisbee, the news of the world die-cast car and all that. Seems this book isn't going to be much else.

Jan

Champipple user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 245 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 07, 15:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I mentioned it before but I have these Russian calendar cards. One card for each month. Doubt it's officially official but you never know.

It's only pics of Freddie but their all Queen shots.

I'll scan a couple and post a link here.

Ale Solan user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sod off.
Ale Solan
Deity: 8973 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 07, 17:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wore the Queen condoms. It seems John never used any.

ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 07, 18:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Alex Solan. wrote:

I wore the Queen condoms. It seems John never used any.

Now THAT'S funny....lol

"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."
PieterMC

radio_what's_new user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 07, 18:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

As everyone knows, Richard Gray and myself (when I'm not being bone idle and lazy) are working hard on our book with Brian, I WANT IT ALL! 35 Years of Queen Memorabilia.

We believe we have covered EVERY amazing item there is. I have been sent scans of some stunning things I'd never seen before, most notably from the Races and News Of The World albums, but also from Live Killers, Sheer Heart and Hits 1, etc.

There are things like Live Killers and Jazz cigarette lighters (yes a Jazz one), LK frisbie, Innuendo camera, Jazz promo bicycles and badges and note pads and stationery, all the coloured vinyl everyone knows about (inc Columbian Killers), picture discs, hanging mobiles, NATO shop display kit, press its, acetates, playing cards, NOTW robot and mirrors, jigsaw puzzles, Races belt and board game... etc. A mammoth amount of stuff.

So... in order that we miss NOTHING, does anyone out there know of, or actually have, any amazing Queen item (not solo related) that we might not know about???? We would like the book to include every significant item ever produced.

I'm not talking about 'quite' nice things, or reasonably rare, I'm talking here only about MEGA RARE and mega amazing things. Not bootlegs, but real promotional items.

Do you have anything like that?

Who cares about memoribilia anyway....Why don't you and Brian write a complete discography of every single piece of Queen and related vinyl Brian owns...or is known to exist.

Queen memoriabilia sucks...The Stones made brilliant pieces of memoriabilia...

Queen has the most ugliest tour shirts ever...

But good luck with selling the book anyway, I won't buy it.

bas asselbergs user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 212 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 07, 19:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Greg, Basje here...
i think my collection of ANATO gold awards, and the fully signed accoustic guitar belongs to the top items? And the signed BoRap award...and the Mr Bad Guy award....maybe this is not the kin of item you specifically search for...but i have also a tester for the JAZZ inside artwork, given to me by a recordcompany executive, and it wasn't used in the end, as the transparant plastic inlay was found too fragile to be put inside...it is a very nice printing technique, and they used a photograph of Queen in that same studio in Montreux, as ended u in the final product, but this tester print is a different shot.
I think i showed that to you in Rotterdam when i showed you all the rare things i have...remember?
Maybe it slipped your mind, but if you like, i'll ask someone to scan it, and i'll mail you a copy...although i can't mail you the plastic overlay that's fixed on the cardboard with the print. There's an extra print on that plastic sheet aswell....it is a rae one off item that i have cherished since 1979....please mail me with a reply, you know where i am.
Oh yeah...i also have the laminate, that was fixed on the guitar flightcase that holds the Red Special...Pete Malandrone sold that to me at a convention, and i have lots of pics of it, a 1993 tour laminate , purple with a yellow star, with nr 7 on its back...a rarity too i guess....he wrote a note with it, that states it IS the real thing...foto's prove it too....
Cheers mate...and good luck with this project.
Hope you'll sell zillions of copies...haha
Basje

lifelong loyal and dedicated Queenfan.
drwinston99 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 07, 20:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

Queen Archivist wrote:

Thanks Pieter,

Is there anything that the band won't stick their name on? I'm just waiting for the official Queen toilet paper.

That was released back in 1981 - it's called Hot Space.

goodco user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 371 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 07, 21:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Ladies and gentlemen... I guess that takes in most of you..." Groucho Marx, 'A Night at the Opera'

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 07, 21:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great!

I'm really looking forward to the release of this book! I think such a book is great because it offers the reader an insight to a collecting field wich is almost impossible to complete. There are so many items out there, for the average queen fan ,it's impossible to collect/ see them all. But the nice thing is that every fan out there has something. Together it's a great collection wich I hope this book will picture!

Is there also a section about promo posters? Although they are not THAT rare (I mean, it's not an item like the Innuendo snap shot camera) I think they are great. Especially the smaller ones wich where released in order to promote a 7" release.

I have the original promo posters for:

Who Whants To Live Forever
The Invisible Man
I'm Going Slightly Mad
Headlong
Driven By You

Btw, I once saw the Live Killers cigarette lighter on sale for 1 pound on eBay... bargain! ;-)

If it's of any interest, I have an original 1979 Live Killer metal pin / badge. It's red and black.

Good luck with the book!

Suigi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 856 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 07, 22:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I daresay the blue vinyl single of BoRhap ranks up among there, afaik.

HE ROCKS US STILL.

Proud Supporter of the Queen Lives Compilation
Seven_Seas_Of_Rhye II user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 709 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 07, 23:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Big off top: Greg (if it is you), could you dig in the archives, just for us, for all Queen fans - DOES KNEBWORTH SCREEN'S FEED EXIST (or better the footage of EVERY stage camera that were used to fill the screen during the concert)?

Love you for this.

About the memorabilia. My wish - guys (I mean who involved in this book), please make - very detailed, with no mistakes, with all little tiny detailes, WITH ALL PICTURES - just singles/albums book.

Take this letter that I give you

Take it sonny hold it high

You won't understand a word that's in it

But you'll write it all again before you die
onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 07, 00:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

radio_what's_new wrote:

The Stones made brilliant pieces of memoriabilia...

1001 variations on that tongue.... boring.... :-)

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 07, 07:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have quite a few record store cardboard stand up displays for all the single releases from The Miracle. I assume that these were produced in their thousands, and therefore were not actually rare at the time in that they were in loads of shops. I suppose the question is whether they are now considered very rare, if, as I imagine, for every 1,000 that were produced, 995 of them were chucked in the bin after a few weeks by the stores??

It could be argued that these type of things may possibly be rarer than something (a badge for example) produced in 1975 that, although only had say only a coupleof thousand produced, but all were sold, and probably still mostly exist somewhere.

I suppose the rarest things will be the ones only produced in exclusive limited runs for promo purposes only, and were not sold on the mass market.