Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Brian May: Too Goddamned Opinionated?

forum rss feed
Author

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Feb 07, 17:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Woah yeah, I remember you and your story with Brian!!!!!!!!

Just wondering, why does Brian have this strong thing for Mika? Sticking up for him and so on.

saltnvinegar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 312 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 07, 17:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wonder if the bad review reminds Brian of the kind of negative press Queen got from a lot of the British media back in the day? Perhaps he just liked the album and was disappointed to read about it being criticised. I know Brian is a celebrity and therefore what he says reaches a wider audience but ranting and raving is a common feature of many people's blogs-surely doesn't mean they are all senile or insane!

teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 07, 17:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He has a right to express his opinions. If you don't like reading them then don't go to his website.
As far as the smoking thing I don't blame him.
He's a real human being with complexities not unlike anyone else.

saltnvinegar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 312 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 07, 18:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually I've just read the review in question and I'd say the reason for Brian's anger isn't the slating of Mika, it's the fact that the journalist used the opportunity to get a few more digs in about Queen and the WWRY musical. It seems some parts of the media haven't changed since the 70's-if it's Queen-they hate it, if it reminds them of Queen, it's even worse :(

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 07, 18:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

saltnvinegar wrote:

Actually I've just read the review in question and I'd say the reason for Brian's anger isn't the slating of Mika, it's the fact that the journalist used the opportunity to get a few more digs in about Queen and the WWRY musical. It seems some parts of the media haven't changed since the 70's-if it's Queen-they hate it, if it reminds them of Queen, it's even worse :(

It could be that, but it could also be the personal attack on Mika. IMO, that's what Brian objected to more than anything. To me, the 'review' read more like a tantrum, as if the reviewer had a personal, deep-seated dislike of Mika. The review could have been negative without reading like an attack, and that's just how this one read. It seemed less about giving a critique of the music and more about dragging down a guy who is, apparently, on the rise.

Again, I'd guess that's why Brian responded the way he did, and, I'd also say he was justified to do so. It's his soapbox after all, isn't it?

EDIT - I just realized the entry in Brian's soapbox mentioned at the beginning of this thread referred to this review -
http://arts.guardian.co.uk/filmandmusic/story/0,,2003455,00.html
I thought it was his entry regarding this one -
http://www.drownedinsound.com/release/view/9109

That second one is the one that reads like a personal attack. IMO

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 07, 19:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mrjordy wrote:

I, personally, am tired of reading Brian's one-sided rants. They make him appear insane, inarticulate and senile. I saw the WWRY musical upon its opening in Vegas in September of 2004. I found it mediokre and silly, at best. I met Brian May the night before the premiere and hung out with him for quite some time. If you think he's kidding about any of his soapbox issues, try smoking a cigarette anywhere near him.

Wow, you should get a refund! Stop paying for stuff you don't want to read!

Huh? You don't have to pay? Then I guess Brian May has every right to write whatever he wants on HIS website eh?

7 seas of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1817 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 07, 19:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian May can say whatever he wants. He's Brian May!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdoo21lvza8

^greatest video ever made

"If I get the answer wrong, you can kick me in the nuts" -Sean

I am the most obsessed Queen fan.
QueenTaylor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3881 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 07, 19:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah I agree...he can have is own opinion on anything he wants!!!

"May you all have champagne for breakfast." (: http://theroyalqueenspad.queenzone.com/
jjaaccoo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 18 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 07, 19:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

teleman wrote:

He has a right to express his opinions. If you don't like reading them then don't go to his website.
As far as the smoking thing I don't blame him.
He's a real human being with complexities not unlike anyone else.

teleman has given the most sensible reply.

no need to go on about this subject, it should stop here but it won't.

Fiendishly Yours user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 49 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 07, 21:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow... I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but I agree with mrjordy.

I'm tired of reading the same the same old dribbling rants that Brian seems to post the moment they come to him. I know that he's an extremely bright, intelligent man, but some of the things he chooses to toss into the media spotlight that is his website are just plain childish, and do indeed portray him in a slightly fanatic and inarticulate light. He doesn't like criticism and he doesn't seem to understand that half the things people write about him are intended to simply squeeze a negative reaction from him anyway. Perhaps he should take a leaf out of Roger's book: "If you don't [like it], sod you."

But, that said, I've simply stopped popping in on Brian's site-- easy enough. I have a great respect for him, but I have trouble digesting a lot of his views, so I just try to stay away from the battle zone. Sometimes I check up on Queen news and scan his entries for anything interesting, but other than that, I like to keep out of Brian's mind and give him his space. :D If he wants to post his thoughts to the Internet, that's fine by me. More power to 'em. >w<

[Thanks in advance for not flaming me into oblivion. XD ]

Taylor-tastic!
Fiendishly Yours user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 49 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 07, 21:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mrjordy wrote:

Well said, Fiendishly Yours!

Thanks! You bring up a convincing argument, despite what others say. At least, from the outside looking in. I'm not really biased for or against Brian so... Yeah. XD

Taylor-tastic!
Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 07, 22:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian probably has gone slightly mad. A bad omen indeed. Freddie went slightly mad too before his death. Do you think Brian has AIDS?

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 07, 23:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mrjordy wrote:

Brian May wrote the following on his soapbox yesterday, in regards to a review in the UK magazine Guardian Unlimited on new star Mika (whom Brian is very much a fan):

"Good Lord. What a wanker ! [Guardian Unlimied] I have a picture in my head of Alexis Petridis, writer for the Guardian - shall I share it with you ? In my mind he looks like a nasty, grubby, spotty, unusually ignorant 15 year old creep, who is foolish enough to think he has one thousanth of the talent, or the courage, of someone like Mika, writing a facile piece of attempted artistic assassination, as if he's trying to prove he has teeth in a 6th form magazine. The Guardian really needs to get some writers who know what they are talking about.

Mr. Petridis ? Your 'review' of Mika? Utter rubbish. You just don't get it. Any of it. Go away and get a life, preferably not in journalism. Try to learn the tambourine."

--

Ok, ok. We've heard Brian's rants on smoking and the ills of tobacco. We've read on his soapbox about his views on fox hunting, his views towards Tony Blair, President Bush and a couple years ago - how wonderful, wonderful and more wonderful still the Queen / Ben Elton musical "We Will Rock You" was. If anyone dared critique the WWRY musical or judge it in any light other than splendid, Brian fired right back on his soapbox. Often Brian would insult the writer's intelligence or writing skills. Brian would all but say right out "who are you to critique me or my musical?" When Brian is convinced he likes something or is passionate towards something, there is obviously no changing his mind. By that same tolken, there is no arguing with him. Brian May is set in his ways, you / the critics / writers / etc. can either agree with him or be a victim to one of his rants.

I, personally, am tired of reading Brian's one-sided rants. They make him appear insane, inarticulate and senile. I saw the WWRY musical upon its opening in Vegas in September of 2004. I found it mediokre and silly, at best. I met Brian May the night before the premiere and hung out with him for quite some time. If you think he's kidding about any of his soapbox issues, try smoking a cigarette anywhere near him.

http://angelfire.com/musicals/wwryvegas>

Very well said. I couldn't agree more. Brian has become a grunpy old man. Great guitar player, but very annoying grumpy old man IMHO.

Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 07 Feb 07, 00:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't see him as much different than you, I, or Martha down the street. We get pissed, we rant. We are excited, we gush. The only difference is that HE is famous.

Not to sound like a broken record, but if you don't like it, don't read it. It's that simple.

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts

Posted: 07 Feb 07, 00:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well if you dont like it, dont read it, oh and go fuck yourself, you piece of shit

:)
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 07 Feb 07, 02:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm curious about if Brian was brave enough to repeat all his rants about Blair to Blair's face during their last meeting...

Nathan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2305 posts

Posted: 07 Feb 07, 02:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"In my mind he looks like a nasty, grubby, spotty, unusually ignorant 15 year old creep"

When Brian May says things like this about other people, he shouldn't get offended when people call him Poodle Perm.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 07 Feb 07, 02:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian has gotten old, and this is the way old people talk. they become bitter and angry. He could say what he wants on his site, but he looks mighty stupid ranting on a 15 year old kid, or whatever age this kid is. It's not the right thing to do.

Rikke user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 214 posts

Posted: 07 Feb 07, 03:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you don't like what he writes, then don't read it.

Britain is a country with freedom of speech, and thank God for that.

I'm going slightly mad
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 07 Feb 07, 04:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rikke wrote:

If you don't like what he writes, then don't read it.

That's why Brian still reads the press?