Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Brian May's egomania confirmed by Sunday Times!

forum rss feed
Author

Freddie's #1 Fan Forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 386 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Feb 07, 17:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey guys,
Just when I thought that I had posted my last thread on Brian May's out of control ego I find this wonderful article: http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/the_web/article1364717.ece.

I find it funny to find that The Sunday Times basically agrees with many of the things I have been saying all along! Although it is a little bit harsh, but Brian May should feel ashamed of the way that he goes on whining and crying about ridiculous little things. I will also make a bet that this particular article will not make it onto Brian May's website.

Nathan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2305 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 07, 17:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie's #1 Fan Forever wrote:

I will also make a bet that this particular article will not make it onto Brian May's website.

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssb.html

It already has, I'm afraid.

QueenTaylor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3881 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 07, 17:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeah I osted this on the other thread, but a lot of us say thats its cruel for the papers to do this because we cansee where Brian is coming from. He had to go through so many years of bad comments in the paper's about him and Queen. It could get irritating.

"May you all have champagne for breakfast." (: http://theroyalqueenspad.queenzone.com/
beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 07, 18:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's funny that The Times would even bother to comment.

Although I'm sure they expected another rant out of it...

and so it goes, eh?

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
sara310 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 79 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 07, 19:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hope its one of those Donald and Rosie wars...all over Larry King and all...:)

:)
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 07, 23:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mrjordy wrote:

http://queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=958722

There's a link to a thread I started a couple weeks ago, with some valid opinions posted. I stand by what I said to begin with. Brian May's long-winded rants makes him look like a senile, bitter old man.

Ditto... and I'm one of those who constantly defended him. Nowdays it's hard to make the slightest negative comment about anything related to Brian May otherwise all hell breaks lose.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 07, 23:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's more like a report of Brian's eActivities during the past few months than criticism. Anyway, Brian should just fucking finish his Ph. D and buy a "real" PC with Windows if he's so mad about his computer. Mac...what the fuck? That's for special purposes only...I don't think he does anything of that type(e.g. graphics design) although it's good for music mixing('Sosumi')...but does he do it himself?
Stingrays, lmao. Please kill some more of them. I'd like to have some "Kangaroo and Stingray" salad the next time I visit Australia.

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 00:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Seems the article confirms nothing but an opinion of the gossip columnist.
The paraphrased parts from Brian May's blog were taken out of context with an eye to disparage Brian May.
From a gossip columnist which is basically a talentless hack in the world of journalism.
That someone would think this qualifies as confirmation is sad.

Readers'responses to the article:

Sounds hilarious, but you might have included a link to May's blog in the body of the text.

Readers will come back you know.

Eursoc, Paris, France

What a waste of time..... (this article)

Jürgen, Dinklage, Germany

Hi, yes, have something to say.....

why don't you go read MR. DR. Brian's Soapbox now?!

I see you didn't give his link in YOU"RE "ramblings" either.......it's Brianmay.com

please have some RESPECT!! He's not only a genius, a true legend, but the SWEETEST guy in rock!! He can say whatever he pleases... his soapbox, his site, his views and opinions! ~ and VERRY good views n opinions I might ADD !

Kelly, Houston, TX. USA

Whether you agree with his position on a given subject or not, Mr. May is voicing his concerns and opinions for those who care to listen objectively. If you don't care to consider his opinions, quit wasting your time and upsetting yourself by visiting his site. Personally, I like Mr. May's web site. Mr. Elliott's article seems to be motivated more by a personal dislike for Mr. May and anything associated with him than for any substantive cause but I give him the same consideration I give Mr. May. It is his opinion. The pity is that Mr. May's comments concern animal rights, astronomy and the frustrations of everyday life as he knows it while Mr. Elliott's comments attempt only to belittle and deride. There's far too much negativity in the world already. Debate the issues if you disagree. Don't assassinate the character of the messenger.

Gregg Thomas, Flower Mound, Texas, USA

Brian May updates his blog up to half a dozen times a day? Really? Nothing like letting the facts get in the way of a story eh?

Ed Carter, Wellingborough, England

If being the social correspondent to The Sunday Times means spending all week copying and pasting selected entries from other people websites, then please keep me in mind when the job shortly becomes available.
Despite Dr May requesting that readers of his website to not plagiarise it, especially without providing the address of his site, I feel your correspondent to be overly selective. Reading the site you can see that there is more than "swipes at bogus fans who want autographs only to sell on eBay."
You fail to mention the help and support he gave to a young girl dying of cancer who's website is still linked to his site.
You also fail to mention the work he does for charities, such as the Mercury Phoenix trust, or The British Bone Marrow Donors assoc.
Many people have strong feelings about animal cruelty, yet your correspondent seems to vilify May as if he were sending bombs through the post to vivisectionists.
Not the sort of reporting expected of the times, more the Sunday Sport

A Hughes, Fareham, United Kingdom

He needs to spend his time using 75 million constructively not vegging in front of a computer, the bane of modern minds with nothing interesting to say.

m. durgut, waddell, arizona usa

With reference to Brian May and his blog i wish to stick up for the man having just been in the audience at the Astrofest this weekend. Obviously John Elliott was not at this event otherwise he would have appreciated Biran may's knowledge and expertise in the subject of astronomy, not to mention his humbled demeanour in the presence of the great Sir Partick Moore. If Mr. Elliott had been present he would have learnt, without visiting Brian May's website that Brian is continuing his PhD, which was curtailed by his involvement in a certain band. It would indeed be interesting to know if Mr. Elliot

Sweetie user not visiting Queenzone.com
shitbrick
Sweetie
Deity: 2835 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 01:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

mrjordy wrote:

http://queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=958722

There's a link to a thread I started a couple weeks ago, with some valid opinions posted. I stand by what I said to begin with. Brian May's long-winded rants makes him look like a senile, bitter old man.

Ditto... and I'm one of those who constantly defended him. Nowdays it's hard to make the slightest negative comment about anything related to Brian May otherwise all hell breaks lose.

Yeah, I sent him a letter saying some really good stuff about him and Queen and then ended it by saying I was going to the Scissor Sisters concert the next week and I think I said something else about the Scissor Sisters and he replied "screaming" at me for it...

Evil will always triumph 'cause good is dumb.
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 03:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Stravinsky the composer I worship. Stravinsky the thinker I despise"

- Dmitriy Shostakovich, composer and genius

_Bijou_ user not visiting Queenzone.com
_Bijou_
Bohemian: 292 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 13:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian May's egomania confirmed by Sunday Times!

--------------

Confirmed? Since when was The Sunday Times a doctor?

www.youtube.com/user/StarSupernova2

Please visit my site at:

www.freewebs.com/queenheaven

*(UPDATED 06/05/08)*
Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 15:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The article doesn't really make any kind of point does it? The journolist might as well have just written "Go to www.brianmay.com and read the soapbox and see what you think"

In many ways, this forum has had more enlivened debate in between the sarcasm and angst.

If the journo had made the effort to read sites like this (and queenonline forum etc) he could have included the fan reaction which probably would have made a much more interesting article.

Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 15:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=red>The Audacity of Charles wrote:

Coming soon :

BRIAN MAY DEFECATES ON FREDDIE'S ASHES

HAHAHAHA..... [=

vadenuez user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 263 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 15:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian's getting what he's been asking for: bad press.

steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 16:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The things that Brian May "preaches" on about are those that I totally and utterly agree with. The fact that he took what Madness singer Suggs said is childish...with all due respect of course to one of rock's most intelligent and talented guitarists.

I do believe Dr. May has gone overboard this time. He means well and obviously isn't out to kill anybody...however, is it possible that he could just turn it down a notch? He's making a fool out of himself.

I look forward to Brian May's comments on this interesting and highly deluded situation; that's if he hasn't already (which I'm about to go and check up on).

"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 16:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like this Brian better than the old very nice man he was in the past. It´s good to know he has an opinion about such things, and it´s good to know he gets pissed from time to time. Go Brian ...go!

Take care

bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 07, 06:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saif wrote:

It's more like a report of Brian's eActivities during the past few months than criticism. Anyway, Brian should just fucking finish his Ph. D and buy a "real" PC with Windows if he's so mad about his computer. Mac...what the fuck? That's for special purposes only...I don't think he does anything of that type(e.g. graphics design) although it's good for music mixing('Sosumi')...but does he do it himself?
Stingrays, lmao. Please kill some more of them. I'd like to have some "Kangaroo and Stingray" salad the next time I visit Australia.

Hi! Brian May actually HAS a PhD. I guess you're a bit behind on the news, but that's okay.

And as far as the Windows/MAC debate goes, here are my thoughts on the matter:

"Linux for stability. PalmOS for mobility. MacOS for creativity. Windows for solitaire."

The MacOS is a beautiful operation system, but like any other software it has its limitations. What Brian May laments about in his soapbox may in fact become standart for future releases of MacOS. The difference between Apple and Microsoft is that the Apple people actually LISTEN to their users. And yes, hard as it may be to believe, Brian does actually get involved in the mixing process. These rock star people are smart you know.

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 07, 06:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"the next time I visit Australia".

Please don't. We don't want you.

As for this whole issue... I hate to say it, but Brian's turning into the character so brilliantly portrayed in Frasier. At one point he alludes to having asked his listeners NOT to scribble Pirate-wear on his face on posters...

There comes a time where it turns into a vicious cycle, and he's only feeding it by complaining.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 07, 07:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bigV wrote:

Saif wrote:

Hi! Brian May actually HAS a PhD. I guess you're a bit behind on the news, but that's okay.

And as far as the Windows/MAC debate goes, here are my thoughts on the matter:

"Linux for stability. PalmOS for mobility. MacOS for creativity. Windows for solitaire."

The MacOS is a beautiful operation system, but like any other software it has its limitations. What Brian May laments about in his soapbox may in fact become standart for future releases of MacOS. The difference between Apple and Microsoft is that the Apple people actually LISTEN to their users. And yes, hard as it may be to believe, Brian does actually get involved in the mixing process. These rock star people are smart you know.

V.

Wikipedia said that he was "planning to finish his Ph. D as of 2006" so I guess it was old news. :P
Okay, I won't visit Australia, I'm afraid of stingrays. :P

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
gnomo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 743 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 07, 13:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saif wrote:

Mac...what the fuck? That's for special purposes only...I don't think he does anything of that type(e.g. graphics design) although it's good for music mixing('Sosumi')...but does he do it himself?
Turns out he's done both graphics ("sequential" digital stereoscopic photography needs Photoshop or dedicated sw to actually assemble a stereo pair) and sound mixing on his Mac(s) for quite a long time, m'dear.

And I think the topic starter may have a thing for Brian and be so uncontrollably furious at him for it remaining hopelessly unrequited in spite of all her efforts...

--

Gnomo

(... any way the wind blows ...)