Forums > Queen - General Discussion > My last e-mail to Dr Mop

forum rss feed
Author

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 12:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I post it here in case he doesn't reply. Or if he does, you saw it first on Queenzone (that looks like a commercial, doesn't it?).

--------

12th February 2007

Hi Brian

You've showed a nice example of double standards, haven't you? You can't resist slamming journalists you don't even know, yet complain if they say something bad about the musical or any of your mates or your hair or whatever.

So you say 'We Will Rock You' is great because it's successful ... yeah, sure ... you know Queen is a brand name, and a very good one (like Coca-Cola), and everything under its label will sell well.

It's interesting that now you're comparing success with quality. According to that, 'Queen II' is total pants, 'Hips Don't Lie' is a better song than 'Innuendo', and Vanilla Ice's album 'To The Extreme' is much much much better than 'A Night At The Opera' ... come on!

The musical is selling well because your loyal fans would pay to see you and Roger belching. I don't mean that the musical's bad or that nobody likes it in its own way, but to pretend that its longevity is entirely due to its "depth" is ridiculous.

I like some of your comments on the soapbox, like the beautiful obituaries you wrote for Maurice Gibb, Michael Kamen and Syd Barrett ... they all show you're a very good writer and a nice bloke all in all. And I agree with your comments on ecology and against smoking, but whenever anyone touches your musical you become as narrow-minded as the "wankers" you offend (or even more).

Dr May, if only people who write musicals can criticise musicals, then you should belt up about the press until the day you own a bloody newspaper. Being a music critic is NOT that easy, and it's not as simple as being a frustrated musician. I agree that there are many idiots out there, but some are actually people whose work must be respected, just as much as yours is.

And 'We Will Rock You' is conquering the world, you say? Sure, that's because it's had to be closed in several places after just some months ... face it, Dr May, not everybody HAS to love your product. And if you try to re-write history, then you're being just as unfair as those "nasty, grubby, spotty, unusually ignorant 15 year old creep" people.

So you think you can stone them ... quite funny, because sadly you're setting yourself up and looking like a sad whiney grumpy ol' tart. Why don't you use your superb creativity and your enviable vocabulary to write some poetic lyrics like 'White Queen' or 'All Dead' instead of insulting people you DON'T know and cowardly hiding behind stereotyped offences ... "spotty" ... "15 year old"? that's just as lame as attacking somebody because of being black or skint...

Cheers Bri


Seb

PS: The word 'blog' exists from 1994, which is long before you started ranting on the soapbox. If you accuse the press of getting facts wrong, you ought to practise what you preach...

PS': How can you expect people not to make jokes about your mop-top, if you call them names in the first place?

PS'': You're about to turn 60 in some months... don't you think it's time to grow up?


John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 12:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Alrighty then.....

Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not going to comment on the e-mail, I'll let you keep it between Brian and yourself. But does Brian like, selectively reply to e-mails or something? Not all of them? I was going to ask him questions about "Too Much Love Will Kill You" and this disorients me...


"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 12:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saif wrote:

I'm not going to comment on the e-mail, I'll let you keep it between Brian and yourself. But does Brian like, selectively reply to e-mails or something? Not all of them? I was going to ask him questions about "Too Much Love Will Kill You" and this disorients me...


He replies - publically or privately. Although it's hard to suspect will he reply or not and why...

Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 12:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ouch. You have some good points, but as to this last piece where the 'journalist' simply stitched together a bunch of quotes from Brian's site and injected his own biased rubbish, I have to disagree. I feel Brian has a right to stoop to the idiot's level to defend himself if he has to.

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 13:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Will be very interesting to read the reply...if there is one.

_Bijou_ user not visiting Queenzone.com
_Bijou_
Bohemian: 292 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 13:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

I post it here in case he doesn't reply. Or if he does, you saw it first on Queenzone (that looks like a commercial, doesn't it?).

--------

12th February 2007

Hi Brian

You've showed a nice example of double standards, haven't you? You can't resist slamming journalists you don't even know, yet complain if they say something bad about the musical or any of your mates or your hair or whatever.

So you say 'We Will Rock You' is great because it's successful ... yeah, sure ... you know Queen is a brand name, and a very good one (like Coca-Cola), and everything under its label will sell well.

It's interesting that now you're comparing success with quality. According to that, 'Queen II' is total pants, 'Hips Don't Lie' is a better song than 'Innuendo', and Vanilla Ice's album 'To The Extreme' is much much much better than 'A Night At The Opera' ... come on!

The musical is selling well because your loyal fans would pay to see you and Roger belching. I don't mean that the musical's bad or that nobody likes it in its own way, but to pretend that its longevity is entirely due to its "depth" is ridiculous.

I like some of your comments on the soapbox, like the beautiful obituaries you wrote for Maurice Gibb, Michael Kamen and Syd Barrett ... they all show you're a very good writer and a nice bloke all in all. And I agree with your comments on ecology and against smoking, but whenever anyone touches your musical you become as narrow-minded as the "wankers" you offend (or even more).

Dr May, if only people who write musicals can criticise musicals, then you should belt up about the press until the day you own a bloody newspaper. Being a music critic is NOT that easy, and it's not as simple as being a frustrated musician. I agree that there are many idiots out there, but some are actually people whose work must be respected, just as much as yours is.

And 'We Will Rock You' is conquering the world, you say? Sure, that's because it's had to be closed in several places after just some months ... face it, Dr May, not everybody HAS to love your product. And if you try to re-write history, then you're being just as unfair as those "nasty, grubby, spotty, unusually ignorant 15 year old creep" people.

So you think you can stone them ... quite funny, because sadly you're setting yourself up and looking like a sad whiney grumpy ol' tart. Why don't you use your superb creativity and your enviable vocabulary to write some poetic lyrics like 'White Queen' or 'All Dead' instead of insulting people you DON'T know and cowardly hiding behind stereotyped offences ... "spotty" ... "15 year old"? that's just as lame as attacking somebody because of being black or skint...

Cheers Bri


Seb

PS: The word 'blog' exists from 1994, which is long before you started ranting on the soapbox. If you accuse the press of getting facts wrong, you ought to practise what you preach...

PS': How can you expect people not to make jokes about your mop-top, if you call them names in the first place?

PS'': You're about to turn 60 in some months... don't you think it's time to grow up?


I bet you'd never say that to his face. Probably because he'd have you before you can get one worthless sentance out.


www.youtube.com/user/StarSupernova2



Please visit my site at:

www.freewebs.com/queenheaven

*(UPDATED 06/05/08)*
Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 14:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A bunny by any other name... wrote:

Ouch. You have some good points, but as to this last piece where the 'journalist' simply stitched together a bunch of quotes from Brian's site and injected his own biased rubbish, I have to disagree. I feel Brian has a right to stoop to the idiot's level to defend himself if he has to.


I don't think it's a case of having the right to stoop to a level, but whether someone of his intelligence SHOULD stoop to such levels at all.


Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter
Smitty user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cool, we have display messages
Smitty
Deity: 6196 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 15:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bijou In Queens Crown wrote:

Sebastian wrote:

...


I bet you'd never say that to his face. Probably because he'd have you before you can get one worthless sentance out.


I'd have to agree.

Josh Henson user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 15:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saif wrote:

I'm not going to comment on the e-mail, I'll let you keep it between Brian and yourself. But does Brian like, selectively reply to e-mails or something? Not all of them? I was going to ask him questions about "Too Much Love Will Kill You" and this disorients me...


He doesn't reply to all...still won't come respond to coming to Chapel Hill and play at UNC.


I'm just getting used to my new exposure

Come into my enclosure

And meet my melancholy blues
Haystacks Calhoun II user not visiting Queenzone.com
Haystacks Calhoun II
Bohemian: 931 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 15:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hadrian wrote:

Saif wrote:

I'm not going to comment on the e-mail, I'll let you keep it between Brian and yourself. But does Brian like, selectively reply to e-mails or something? Not all of them? I was going to ask him questions about "Too Much Love Will Kill You" and this disorients me...


He doesn't reply to all...still won't come respond to coming to Chapel Hill and play at UNC.


Saw Springsteen there at the football stadium in 2003.

Neat place, though the traffic SUCKED trying to get to the stadium and find a place to park.


The Golden Gate Bridge should have a long bungee cord for people who aren’t quite ready to commit suicide but want to get in a little practice.
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 16:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erin wrote:

Will be very interesting to read the reply...if there is one.


Yeah....

vadenuez user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 263 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 16:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Seb, grab a chair and fix yourself a drink. Brian's answer might take ages to come your way. Though I really love to read a response from Brian, because I reckon you've hit right on the nail with your email.



beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Famewhore.


"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
Nathan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2305 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Have you honestly sent that?

Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 19:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"You can't resist slamming journalists you don't even know, yet complain if they say something bad about the musical or any of your mates or your hair or whatever."

I have two questions for you, Sebastian:

1. Did you invert the sequence in the above sentence on purpose? If so, is that considered an advanced or tricky composition skill?

2. Do you want Brian to change his personality so that the "original Brian" would then become the "new Brian" (without the complaining part of his personality intact)? Would this be like a remix or a re-do?

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 20:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is a bit sad in my opinion.



"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."



(Genesis 1:1)
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 20:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dr. Mop?

That's mature. Ha-ha. Way to invalidate a fairly thoughtful e-mail.

Anyway; wouldn't the person sifting through Brian's email have to actually show this to him, in order to get a response out of him? They'll probably just go..... 'meh, he'll hate this', and delete the thing.

I think.


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 21:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stirring the pot a bit, eh Sebastian?


"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 21:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

Dr. Mop?

That's mature. Ha-ha. Way to invalidate a fairly thoughtful e-mail.

Anyway; wouldn't the person sifting through Brian's email have to actually show this to him, in order to get a response out of him? They'll probably just go..... 'meh, he'll hate this', and delete the thing.

I think.


Yeah, that would be Jen. Indeed the majority of letters that get posted seem to be ass-kissing :-P Who knows..