Forums > Personal > New Rush Album!

forum rss feed
Author

mystic_rhythms user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Feb 07, 15:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's official!

The band has posted a statement on their website (www.rush.com), that they are preparing to release their new studio album, titled Snakes And Arrows. The album will hit stores 1 May 2007.
A sample of one of the new tracks, "Far Cry", can be heard on their site. The track will make its radio debut on 19 March.

This will be Rush's 19th studio album, dating back to their self-titled debut album in 1974. Rush's most recent album, Vapor Trails, was released in 2002.

So...about time we heard something about the new stuff. What do you think?

We can only grow the way the wind blows

On a bare and weathered shore

We can only bow to the here and now

In our elemental war

- Rush, "The Way The Wind Blows"
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 19 Feb 07, 16:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You know, I really haven't minded any of the newer Rush albums, well maybe not Roll The Bones, but it may be time for a lyricist.

His playing is great, but some of the more recent subject matter seems pretty lame, nothing of the likes of Caress or 2112, even Signals and Grace were still all right. Have Alex or Geddy anything to say or are they just illiterate?

The music has always been cool to me. I will buy the album.

Posted: 20 Feb 07, 12:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, think about it this way: Neil Peart (pronounced "peert") is the main lyricist for Rush; he's responsible for writing such tracks as Closer To The Heart, The Big Money, One Little Victory, Tom Sawyer, and Force Ten (the latter two co-written with lyricist Pye Dubois). His writing style (especially in the 90's) is the deepest I have ever seen of any modern-day lyricist, most of it can be attributed to his emotional experiences. He has experienced so much in his life, both good and bad times. He has a lot of feeling in his words, because of all the feelings he's felt in his lifetime.

Since his entrance into Rush after their first album, he has been a huge part of their success, and continues to be a huge part to this day. I can't wait to see what his complex and unyielding imagination brings forth on this upcoming album.

SNAKES AND ARROWS - 1 MAY 2006

In our elemental war

Hooligan's Holiday user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hooligan's Holiday
Royalty: 1002 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 07, 12:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually, their most recent album was "Feedback" in '04, but I don't know if you count that 'cause it's all covers.

I'm really looking forward to the new albums. The clip of "Far Cry" that I heard sounded pretty heavy, like the older stuff. Very Hemispherical...

Also... A new album usually means "TOUR", am I right? That, aside from the fact that Neil said that there would be a tour, and it would be kinda stupid if there wasn't.

I like you, mystic_rhythms... Finally, someone who CARES about the new Rush album. My best friend pretty much hates Rush to pieces, so the only people I can talk to about it are my parents.

We are, we are the saints

We signed our life away

Doesn't matter what you think

We're gonna do it anyway

One day you will confess

And pray to the

Saints of Los Angeles

Posted: 20 Feb 07, 12:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, Space Ace (lol I like that name), I don't count Feedback because it's not 'original' material, but it's still a Rush album, so I guess it counts in the whole 19 studio albums.

Hold on...*counts on fingers*

Yep. Including Feedback, this will be #19. That's a lot for a band that's turning 33 this year.

-=Brian=-

btw Space Ace, it's good to know somebody ELSE remembers KISS Meets the Phantom Of The Park lol
bonus points for actually using a quote from the movie in your sig :p

In our elemental war

Hooligan's Holiday

Posted: 20 Feb 07, 12:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mystic_rhythms wrote:

Well, Space Ace (lol I like that name), I don't count Feedback because it's not 'original' material, but it's still a Rush album, so I guess it counts in the whole 19 studio albums.

Hold on...*counts on fingers*

Yep. Including Feedback, this will be #19. That's a lot for a band that's turning 33 this year.

-=Brian=-

btw Space Ace, it's good to know somebody ELSE remembers KISS Meets the Phantom Of The Park lol
bonus points for actually using a quote from the movie in your sig :p

Heheh, I love that movie, because Ace has probably THE funniest lines... I wasn't around when the picture was made, but I've seen it several times...

We signed our life away

We're gonna do it anyway

One day you will confess

And pray to the

Saints of Los Angeles
Haystacks Calhoun II user not visiting Queenzone.com
Haystacks Calhoun II
Bohemian: 930 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 07, 13:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Geddy Lee sings like an old woman.

The Golden Gate Bridge should have a long bungee cord for people who aren’t quite ready to commit suicide but want to get in a little practice.
Hooligan's Holiday

Posted: 20 Feb 07, 13:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haystacks Calhounski wrote:

You take that back!

We signed our life away

We're gonna do it anyway

One day you will confess

And pray to the

Saints of Los Angeles
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 07, 01:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeahhh!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait!!

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 07, 02:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Neil Peart = Best drummer since Keith Moon...

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
Haystacks Calhoun II user not visiting Queenzone.com
Haystacks Calhoun II
Bohemian: 930 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 07, 10:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/elvis4192/rush.jpg

The Golden Gate Bridge should have a long bungee cord for people who aren’t quite ready to commit suicide but want to get in a little practice.
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave

Posted: 21 Feb 07, 11:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saif wrote:

Slow down partner. He's good, yes.

Kenny Aranoff
Steve Ferrone
Bill Bruford
Steve Gadd
Simon Phillips
Will Calhoun
all might have something to say about that. Does Neil do anything outside of Rush? Not that he needs to, but could he?

Also, only Bruford (in the above list) uses tracks, just like Neil does live.

NEW PRODUCER FOR RUSH?

TAYLOR HAWKINS & THE SUPERBOWL:
"I was watching the game at our producer Nick Raskulinecz's house, and since he's doing the new Rush album, all the guys from the band were there," he said. "I mean, I'm outside smoking a cigarette with [Rush drummer] Neil Peart and someone sticks their head outside and goes, 'Uh, dude, Prince is doing your song.' " Hawkins said he hasn't heard from anyone in Prince's camp about the cover (neither has MTV News, which made several attempts to contact him about his Super Bowl medley).

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

Here's a fantastic list of the most skilled drummers. Rarely do I agree with musicians being listed in competition with one another, but the guy running this website really knows what he's talking about:

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_drum-skill.html

Actually Billy Cobham has been drumming a lot longer than Peart, or he would have made my list. Listen to Miles' Tribute to Jack Johnson (1971). Neil can't do that.

Vinny is #1. Interesting that he was also the guy that drummed on Wang Chung's last album.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 21 Feb 07, 11:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saif wrote:

If Keith Moon is your benchmark, then that makes him better than guys like Bill Bruford and Ginger Baker in your eyes? They came out after Moon. Even John Bonham was better than Moon. Bonham also had little structure, but at least he was far more consistent. Keith Moon just banged whatever he wanted to bang. I love The Who, but Keith Moon was a horrible drummer when it comes down to it.

Here's a fantastic list of the most skilled drummers. Rarely do I agree with musicians being listed in competition with one another, but the guy running this website really knows what he's talking about:

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave

Posted: 21 Feb 07, 11:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Crap. This list is now officially bogus.

I just checked the greatest Pianists and they ranked Freddie Mercury ABOVE Stevie Wonder.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 21 Feb 07, 12:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

Actually Billy Cobham has been drumming a lot longer than Peart, or he would have made my list. Listen to Miles' Tribute to Jack Johnson (1971). Neil can't do that.

I wish... I've been looking for that album for ages!!

I just checked the greatest Pianists and they ranked Freddie Mercury ABOVE Stevie Wonder.

Haha... then send the guy an email! He's always happy to rectify anything as long as he has a good enough reason to. Even so, don't let one little thing wreck these lists for you. That webmaster is probably the most musically informed guy out there.

Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 07, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saif wrote:

If Keith Moon is your benchmark, then that makes him better than guys like Bill Bruford and Ginger Baker in your eyes? They came out after Moon. Even John Bonham was better than Moon. Bonham also had little structure, but at least he was far more consistent. Keith Moon just banged whatever he wanted to bang. I love The Who, but Keith Moon was a horrible drummer when it comes down to it.

Ah well, I guess I have crappy opinions. Bill Bruford, yeah, I'd say he's good(King Crimson) but I never listened to Cream so I can't speak for Ginger Baker...
Microwave, I'm afraid I haven't listened to most of the drummers you've listed either, they're probably good, maybe better since my range is limited I guess...
How do Cozy Powell and Carl Palmer rank up?

Micrówave wrote:

lmao

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 07, 12:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Keith Moon just banged whatever he wanted to bang. I love The Who, but Keith Moon was a horrible drummer when it comes down to it.

Oh Bob... it breaks my heart to read this.

Moonie was unpredictable and occasionally sloppy, but he was anything but a horrible drummer. Live, he was unbelievable; there's footage of the band performing 'Shout & Shimmy' from 1965 or 1966 (from The Kids Are Alright DVD), where he's all over the place, as if he was soloing and the band were providing occasional accompaniment.

True, once he got into drink and drugs, his performances started to get worse and worse, so watching 'Baba O'Riley' or 'Won't Get Fooled Again' from The Kids Are Alright is a bad idea – they were filmed four months before his death, at a time when he was at his absolute worst.

In the studio, he was far more restrained (because the producers kept making him!), but what I found interesting was that he complemented Daltrey's vocals (the rhythm section of most bands are the bassist and drummer, but the only true rhythm section of The Who was Townshend, it would seem); from the Classic Albums DVD of Who's Next, Daltrey isolated just his vocal and Moonie's drum performance, and whenever Roger accentuates something in his vocal delivery, Moonie's right there with a drum fill or a cymbal crash or something eccentric. Really interesting to listen to.

Anyway, I agree that there are TONS of better drummers than Keith Moon, but they're technically more proficient. Moon didn't give a crap; he was more of a comedian that happened to play drums really really well. The thing about The Who and Keith Moon was that their drummer wasn't just there to go boom-tsh-boom-tsh on the drum set, which is easy to hear once you listen to the two post-Moon albums with Kenney Jones: with The Small Faces and The Faces, he was excellent, but he wasn't wild and unpredictable like Moon was.

As for Moon and Bonham: Bonham was wild and unpredictable, but he had more structure, which a band like Led Zeppelin needed. They came from a blues background and delved into more eccentric musical styles ('Kashmir', 'In The Light', etc.), and two of the band members – John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page – were experienced session musicians. The Who were just four rough boys from the streets who became Mod heroes, pop heroes, and then rock opera heroes.

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 07, 14:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm with ya on this, Haystacks.

Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave

Posted: 21 Feb 07, 16:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saif:

Actually, you've probably heard these drummers:

Kenny Aranoff drummed for John Mellencamp during his big hit days.

Steve Ferrone drums for Tom Petty among others. He was also the drummer on Brian's "Another World" track.

Bill Bruford - Not just KC, but Yes and his solo material including work with Tony Levin is great!

Steve Gadd - No explanation needed

Simon Phillips - Keith Moon's replacement, now drumming with Toto, and one I've been fortunate enough to do a set with.

Will Calhoun - Living Colour's drummer, now pretty much the man in demand in modern jazz and R&B

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

SIR GH:
The current columbia remaster is an excellent version of Jack Johnson. Remember, this is not a session recording but a compilation of jams carefully edited together by Teo Macero and Stan Tonkel. Several musicians came in and came out during this period. But it all came down to Billy, Herbie, McLaughlin, Steve Grossman on sax (who was 19 at the time!!!) and Michael Henderson on bass.

This was Miles' Rock album. As a keyboardist, the most interesting thing to me about the recording is that Herbie Hancock doesn't lay a finger on a piano or Electric Piano. He plays a Farfisa Organ throughout... he'd never played one before, ever.

Sorry, someone said Miles and I went a little crazy. Happens.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 22 Feb 07, 10:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

Oh Bob... it breaks my heart to read this.

Sorry man. There had to be one place where we disagreed (in comparison to 53494 where we agree), and here it is! I just haven't been able to get into Keith Moon. I see him as being frantically all over the place, without any idea of what he'll be doing in 4 bars. I just hear him doing the same stuff over and over again... all the same fills, on every album.

There's a Zeppelin bootleg (LA 6-23-77) where Keith Moon plays Moby Dick with John Bonham. Most fans think this is a brilliant performance, but to me, it's 15 minutes of sheer unstructured lunacy. After the drum solo, Keith runs to the mic and says Bonham puts Buddy Rich to shame. That's precisely when I lost my respect for him.

In the studio, he was far more restrained (because the producers kept making him!), but what I found interesting was that he complemented Daltrey's vocals (the rhythm section of most bands are the bassist and drummer, but the only true rhythm section of The Who was Townshend, it would seem); from the Classic Albums DVD of Who's Next, Daltrey isolated just his vocal and Moonie's drum performance, and whenever Roger accentuates something in his vocal delivery, Moonie's right there with a drum fill or a cymbal crash or something eccentric. Really interesting to listen to.

Indeed, that does sound interesting! You clearly know your stuff about The Who, and you write so articulately and passionately, in such a way that you can convince someone how right you (think you ;) are. I'll have to listen up for that kind of stuff when I listen to The Who in the future. That's all you're gonna get for now, boy! ;)

And thanks for all the info, Micrówave. I'll be sure to keep my eyes open.