Forums > Queen - General Discussion > My what if: Queen + Roger Waters (ex-Pink Floyd)

forum rss feed
Author

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Feb 07, 15:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

(Excuse my lateness in the What If's fad)

How about it?

Since John is retired, Roger could replace him in the next Queen(+) tour, plus add the benefit of being a singer in addition to his great bass playing abilities :D

"Another Brick In The Wall Part II" or "Hey You", anyone? (Maybe even "One Of These Days", or best of all..."Money"!!)

Btw. I'm going to be seeing Roger Waters in concert this June 24th!
Row 5 - Floor, Seat 1 :D

Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 07, 19:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmm, but what Queen songs could he handle well with that shrill, thin voice of his? ;)

Be good on bass though, yeah.

inu-liger

Posted: 25 Feb 07, 19:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A very tame bunny wrote:

Hmm, but what Queen songs could he handle well with that shrill, thin voice of his? ;)

Be good on bass though, yeah.

"I'm Going Slightly Mad", maybe? (Would certainly fit him in more than one way *ahem*)

He could also do David Bowie's part on "Under Pressure", which would be a song I wouldn't mind seeing him play on bass at least ;-)

What I would love MOST actually, would be for him to duet with Brian on "Comfortably Numb", with Brian singing David's parts....would fit his sweet voice :)

"Young Lust" would make for a great rocking track that isn't too unlike Queen's hard rock style :D

Hmm, Queen + Robert Plant....that already happened like 15 years ago this April.

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 07, 20:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="FF0066">Helter Skelter wrote:

How about

Queen + Robert Plant?...

did I hear someone say "Stairway to Heaven?"

;)

XD

no thanks,innuendo was bad enough and dont even get me started on cwazy little thing called love

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

jazzy mercurois user not visiting Queenzone.com
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois
Royalty: 1716 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 07, 22:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger Waters would savagely destroy the songs.

He's one of the worst singers I've ever heard.

And he's not a great bassist either.

CONLACANTINACONLACANTORACONLATELEVISIONGASTADORA
shammy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 32 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 07, 01:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As much as I love PF and Waters, this combination's choice of (Queen) songs would be more limited than with PR.

inu-liger

Posted: 26 Feb 07, 02:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

shammy wrote:

As much as I love PF and Waters, this combination's choice of (Queen) songs would be more limited than with PR.

Well, I never meant he had to SING all the Queen songs...those duties could be mainly left to Brian and Roger....I was trying to say he could REPLACE John Deacon on bass, with having vocal abilities on some songs as a *bonus*.

Guess I wasn't clear enough :P

Anyways, I realized something earlier...there is a small Queen-Pink Floyd link: Brian played on the Foo Fighters' second cover version of "Have A Cigar", which is a great cover (my only complaint is that Brian doesn't really do the original solo, but does his own thing rather, so he has yet to properly play a David Gilmour solo :P )

Sweetie user not visiting Queenzone.com
shitbrick
Sweetie
Deity: 2835 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 07, 03:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the guy who owned this house was Roger Waters

Evil will always triumph 'cause good is dumb.
bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 07, 03:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian May, standing on top of the Wall, playing the sublime solo at the end of "Comfortably Numb"... Bliss! :)

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

MarioPeru user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 31 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 07, 05:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I got almost all of PF and all of Queen, i like both bands, but Pink Floyd is no only different, Waters is very sad and melancholic..he could play better with Radiohead. i try to imagine his voice with romantic Mercury songs, he could play the bass like John Deacon, without singing...I only imagine Is This The World..?sung by RW, he loves the antiwar stuff
Btw, he will play in Perù, hard to see so important musicians in my country but it seems south america is good place to progressive rockers, i love progressive and i could see EL&P,Jethro Tull,Yes,well..not genesis but Phil Colins :( and now a member of PF, at least come here that style of musicians.

<font color=black>Dennis Daja<h6>QZs Dio wrote:

That sounds like the most horrible combination imaginable. Roger Waters singing with Queen.

First of all both musicstyle's are completely different and there isn't a change to get a decent combination.

Next point; Waters can't even sing half of all Pink Floyd songs how do you ever expect him to sing a difficult, fast hard rock song from Queen?

With all respect, I love his voice he has a lot of character in it. BTW, I think your gonna see a great show I saw this tour last year live on Arrow Rock and it was one of the best gigs I ever attended!

"Anyway The Wind Blows"
Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 07, 06:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sadly, writing songs is where Roger Waters is only good at... The songs he sings fit him though.

MarioPeru wrote:

I got almost all of PF and all of Queen, i like both bands, but Pink Floyd is no only different, Waters is very sad and melancholic..he could play better with Radiohead. i try to imagine his voice with romantic Mercury songs, he could play the bass like John Deacon, without singing...I only imagine Is This The World..?sung by RW, he loves the antiwar stuff
Btw, he will play in Perù, hard to see so important musicians in my country but it seems south america is good place to progressive rockers, i love progressive and i could see EL&P,Jethro Tull,Yes,well..not genesis but Phil Colins :( and now a member of PF, at least come here that style of musicians.

Phil Collins is horrible, obnoxious, untalented. Gabriel-era Genesis was good though. "We Can't Dance" was essentially a crap Phil Collins album but I guess he decided to spare some cash in royalties for his friends...

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1417 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 07, 07:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I will also be attending Roger Waters concerts on March 17 and 18. Unlike the last tour he presented here, he will be doing mostly PINK FLOYD stuff this time ...not to mention he will be playing THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON in its enterity!!!

masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 07, 08:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ill be there too...

Unfortunately he only plays 2 solo songs on this tour... sadly because i love Waters solo albums, like The pros and cons or amused to death...

But anyway he is a genius and a legend and is a "must-see"

P.

Queen rocks!
Al TurHao user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 07, 11:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For those who will see Roger Waters, I can ashure you he provides you with (probably) the best live concert these days.

I saw him in "In The Flesh Tour" a couple of years ago, and again last year in the beggining of the World Tour, in Lisbon in RockInRio. Since it was going to be a festival, I thought to myself he was going to play perhaps like 90 minutes... He entered stage at midnight (after Santana) and played for 2h 40min!!!! AMAZING!
He upgraded his last tour and it sounds amazing. He did a miniset of Final Cut songs which suit perfectly in the anti-war concert clima. You'll be blown away!

PS: In his concert in France celebrating 100 years of same race circuit, he had Nick Mason as a guest for the 2nd part (Dark Side of the Moon). Does anyone know if this was played with 2 drummers (Nick Mason and RW's G.Broad) or if Broad left stage (which would be a shame 'cause he's really an excellent drummer!)???

Being a Scolar when it comes to Queen...
Al TurHao user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 07, 11:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As for RW being a good bass player... He's a great musician and a genius in composition, nut he's not THAT good as a bass player. He's good, but no John Deacon.

Yes, he has the Money bass riff which is superb, but most of the hard studio parts (like the fret solo in Hey You, like someone mentioned) were played by Gilmour.

BTW, did all of you know that Roger Waters said in 1987 something like: "I actually believe that these days there no other musician that writes better songs than me. Well... perhaps Freddie Mercury." ;)

Being a Scolar when it comes to Queen...
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18618 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 07, 11:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=black>Dennis Daja<h6>QZs Dio wrote:

That sounds like the most horrible combination imaginable. Roger Waters singing with Queen.

First of all both musicstyle's are completely different and there isn't a change to get a decent combination.

Roger Waters is just as different from Queen as Paul Rodgers.

As for comparing Deacy to Waters... I'd say they're at about the same level of technical ability. They just have different styles.

I think Queen with Waters on bass would be a very interesting combination. I'm just imagining hearing Time with Roger's drums and Brian's guitar. That really would work!

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
jeffuk49 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 432 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 07, 12:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd rather have Queen+Mr Blobby

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 07, 12:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fun fact: David Gilmour played bass on a lot more Pink Floyd songs than Roger did.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 07, 13:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello

Hello

Hello

Could we really out-do Roger & Cindy Lauper's performance? Roger has slowly faded to boring since Radio Kaos.

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 07, 13:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Syd!!!!!!!!!! <3

Shame he's gone. xD