Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Don't wanna start any more controversy, but..

forum rss feed
Author

Jason DeLima user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 46 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Feb 07, 20:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

..if Elvis died in '77, and Freddie wrote the song in '79, how could there be any recording of Elvis singing it? I mean I totally agree Freddie wrote it, but I wanna know how there is a recording of him.


Mama I'm gonna be your slave...
PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Feb 07, 21:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Elvis had a time machine and travelled into the future, heard the song, jumped back in time and then recorded the song. Shame he died before he had a chance to release his version.

teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Feb 07, 23:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Elvis recorded the song at a Safeway grocery store in the parking lot before he seen working at WalMart.

Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Feb 07, 00:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Elvis had the occasional dabblement into gayness, which isn't well known. Being mutual friends with David Hodo (of the Village People), the two eventually met in early 1976 when they all happened to be visiting New York.

The song was in fact improvised/co-written by Elvis and Freddie one of those nights and recorded onto cassette. Mr. Hodo reminded Freddie of the session and gave him the tape upon the news of Elvis' death the next year.

Mr. Hodo being the only other person knowing it existed, the two agreed that Freddie should take charge of the song and treat it as a tribute to Elvis without acknowledging Elvis' actual participation.

Freddie re-recorded a demo and presented it to the band in 1979, and included some double-tracked vocal thing which was actually himself harmonizing so closely to Elvis from the cassette that nobody became wise to the fact that Elvis was actually included. And in fact, part of that '2nd demo' is mixed-in to the final version we all know.

So Elvis does in fact appear on the Queen version, but never recorded, nor even wrote down the song himself properly.. it was merely a mutual drug-induced improvisational thing originally.

Crezchi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 664 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Feb 07, 01:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JasonD. wrote:

..if Elvis died in '77, and Freddie wrote the song in '79, how could there be any recording of Elvis singing it? I mean I totally agree Freddie wrote it, but I wanna know how there is a recording of him.


I am a huge Elvis fan and Collector, Elvis NEVER recorded this song! I don't know your source, but the source is idiotic! If there is a recording it is an impersonator and is fabricated.


Hello you rock and rollers!
Elizabeth Knightson user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 351 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Feb 07, 05:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know where I read that Freddie wrote that song while taking a bath. I seriously doubt Elvis was in that bath too.


Little Delilah
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Feb 07, 05:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Simple enough. Elvis wasn't actually dead yet.

Still isn't.


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Feb 07, 07:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A very lame bunny wrote:

Elvis had the occasional dabblement into gayness, which isn't well known. Being mutual friends with David Hodo (of the Village People), the two eventually met in early 1976 when they all happened to be visiting New York.

The song was in fact improvised/co-written by Elvis and Freddie one of those nights and recorded onto cassette. Mr. Hodo reminded Freddie of the session and gave him the tape upon the news of Elvis' death the next year.

Mr. Hodo being the only other person knowing it existed, the two agreed that Freddie should take charge of the song and treat it as a tribute to Elvis without acknowledging Elvis' actual participation.

Freddie re-recorded a demo and presented it to the band in 1979, and included some double-tracked vocal thing which was actually himself harmonizing so closely to Elvis from the cassette that nobody became wise to the fact that Elvis was actually included. And in fact, part of that '2nd demo' is mixed-in to the final version we all know.

So Elvis does in fact appear on the Queen version, but never recorded, nor even wrote down the song himself properly.. it was merely a mutual drug-induced improvisational thing originally.


pass the bread dears,ive found the baloney..lol


the thing is,some people are likely to take this as the truth.which is even funnier.


isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

Eviltwin user not visiting Queenzone.com
My Display Message
Eviltwin
Bohemian: 549 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Feb 07, 07:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Elvis is not dead.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Feb 07, 08:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=red>?Sasha wrote:

Elvis is not dead.


Indeed, he just left the building.


John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

gnomo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 743 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Feb 07, 08:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry, double post...


--

Gnomo

(... any way the wind blows ...)
gnomo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 743 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Feb 07, 08:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JasonD. wrote:

how could there be any recording of Elvis singing it?
It's not Elvis of course, but an imitator, who included the song in an album of his Elvis covers: can't remember his name, but there was a couple of threads about it, some time back.

EDIT: convincingly Elvis-sounding version by Jimmy Ellis (AKA Jimmy Orion), not sure if also covered by DOUG CHURCH.

HTH



--

Gnomo

(... any way the wind blows ...)
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Feb 07, 10:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it is safe to say that no controversy (that actually mattered) has ever been caused by a thread on Queenzone.


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Feb 07, 11:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of course it's an Elvis impersonator. I remember one of the other times someone else pointed this out (there's been many over the years) that he called people names and all that. His "proof" of the fact was that the song was in the album of an Elvis impersonator singing Elvis' covers. Minutes later someone noticed one of the other tracks was "Living la vida loca". A very brief controversy, hahaha :).

sparrow 21754 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1947 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Feb 07, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i dont want to start any blasphemous rumors

but i think God may have a sick sense of humor

and when i die, i expect to find him

laughing.


why pay the visit when the visit is free?



"this shitty guitar wont play what i want! it only knows three chords!"
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Feb 07, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Elizabeth Knightson wrote:

I don't know where I read that Freddie wrote that song while taking a bath. I seriously doubt Elvis was in that bath too.


no. but he was having a heart attack on the toilet six feet away ;-)


go deo na h√Čireann
thunderbolt 31742 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thunderbolt 31742
Bohemian: 647 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Feb 07, 13:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

According to Limewire, Dwight Yoakam = Elvis.

Kind of like how Queen sang "Mr. Roboto"


"Do you think I should keep this mustache? Did you say no? F--- off."
Janet user not visiting Queenzone.com
Janet
Deity: 3937 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Feb 07, 14:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

Elizabeth Knightson wrote:

I don't know where I read that Freddie wrote that song while taking a bath. I seriously doubt Elvis was in that bath too.


no. but he was having a heart attack on the toilet six feet away ;-)



Oh dear...LOL!


-If you want the best seat in the house, you have to move the cat.





jeffuk49 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 432 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Feb 07, 14:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Have to get "ask Elvis to sing it" BBC radio 2 very funny

write your letters in the sand user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Feb 07, 14:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

Elvis had a time machine and travelled into the future, heard the song, jumped back in time and then recorded the song. Shame he died before he had a chance to release his version.


Pieter's right of course (again). This is all explained in the lyrics of '39.


Ready Freddie?