Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Freddie Throwing BANANAS

forum rss feed
Author

foreversilence user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 99 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Mar 07, 12:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Fellers
in the champions documentary if you notice there's about 5 seconds where they show freddie sitting on the back of the santa and throwing bananas to the crowd
PLZ can you tell me with precision and for sure the date and the place of that concert?
And i know this concert too exists more than 5 seconds on video...

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 07, 13:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ofcourse there is more than 5 seconds of video. Do you really think they would waste money by hiring equipment and camera men just to shoot 5 seconds of video?

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Smitty user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cool, we have display messages
Smitty
Deity: 6196 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 07, 20:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Was it Santa, or Superman? The latter I think...

Posted: 06 Mar 07, 16:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hey fellers
i didn't get to my piont isn't there anybody who knows about that concert just time and place
And i think it's on the back of santa here you got the picture i captured them for the champions documentary

Attachment: Banana1.jpg 3 KB
This has been downloaded 347 time(s).

CzarQ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 142 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 07, 18:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its coming for sure from News Of The World Tour USA part, November-December 1977. If its Santa Claus Freddie is sitting on, then I think we are talking about a gig from the 22th December 1977, the well known because of one particular song played that night, acousting version of "White Xmass"... Maybe Im wrong but Im only guessing.
Anywawy, the time is December 1977, right before Christmas.

Cheers

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 07 Mar 07, 12:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's definitely 1979... look how short his hair is.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
« Jay » user not visiting Queenzone.com
« Jay »
Bohemian: 843 posts

Posted: 07 Mar 07, 13:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But he never wore that glitter leotard in 1979 right? Only during the Day At The Races/News of The World tour.

little foetus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 500 posts

Posted: 07 Mar 07, 13:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I think it is the NOTW Tour or the US Jazz Tour in 1978. Maybe some people have the book "Queen The Visual Documentary" by Ken Dean. On page 38, there is a photo of a leotard Freddie on the shoulders of Superman and his hair is quite short as the video shows. On page 39, there is another photo with the same Freddie and there is the NOTW robot on the drums of Roger. We could say it is from the NOTW Tour but on the Buffalo 78 (Jazz Tour) video, there is also the robot on the drums. I don't have a scanner so i can't show you the picture. Maybe someone who has this book can scan it and post it here. It is definitly not from 77. Watch the video of Houston and you'll see that his hair is longer.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 07 Mar 07, 16:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's the Jazz/Live Killers lightning rig.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Posted: 07 Mar 07, 17:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello my friends i think i can clarify things to you those pictures from that book i think i have them or i have similar pictures (i don't have the book)
here's the picture of freddie on the back of superman notice that freddie is wearing a hat and he's and without a shirt that's the Live for kampuchea people 1979 at hammersmith odeon
PS : there's sthg similar to this : queen live in budokan ,Japan 1979 where freddie's is itting on the back of some other person wering the superman siut and the guy wears glasses and freddie is wearing red glitter ( i don't have that picture)

Attachment: FreddieMercuryOnSuperman(Hammersmith Odeon 1979).jpg 50 KB
This has been downloaded 144 time(s).

Posted: 07 Mar 07, 17:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now here we have two different photos of Freddie sitting On the Back of the robot this one notice he's wearing his red and blue leather this one i don't know from which concert does it come from but i wish somebody could tell me i'm intrested too

Attachment: FreddieMercuryOnTheRobot(Red&Blue).jpg 26 KB
This has been downloaded 170 time(s).

Posted: 07 Mar 07, 17:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now this is another one Freddie sitting On the Back of the robot but notice he's wearing blac short pants and has a red band on his ledt arm this one i don't know from which concert does it come from but i wish somebody could tell me i'm intrested too

Attachment: FreddieMercuryOnTheRobot(ShortBlackPants).jpg 25 KB
This has been downloaded 145 time(s).

Posted: 07 Mar 07, 17:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And this one is on the back of santa notice that he's wearing the glitter suit
I think this is the one that i'm looking for but in my first first uploaded picture you can see in the hand of freddie Bananas actually in the champions documentary it shows that freddie is throwing those bananas to the crowd
I want and i really want to know the date and the place of this concert if anybody knows any professionals in such things plz ask them i'm really intrested

Attachment: FreddieMercuryOnTheBackOfSanta.jpg 121 KB
This has been downloaded 157 time(s).

The Real Wizard

Posted: 07 Mar 07, 23:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

foreversilence wrote:

Now here we have two different photos of Freddie sitting On the Back of the robot this one notice he's wearing his red and blue leather this one i don't know from which concert does it come from but i wish somebody could tell me i'm intrested too

The robot is Darth Vader from Star Wars. Freddie came out singing WWRY on his shoulders during the US Game tour in '80. The Santa pic is from LA 12-22-77, and I'm pretty certain that happened only once. The Superman thing was done for WWRY from April to December '79.

little foetus wrote:

on the Buffalo 78 (Jazz Tour) video, there is also the robot on the drums.

Based on the pictures I've seen, the NOTW logo was Roger's bass drum skin on the US leg of the Jazz tour in '78, and he used the Jazz skin in Europe and Japan '79. But of course there may be exceptions.

« Jay » wrote:

But he never wore that glitter leotard in 1979 right? Only during the Day At The Races/News of The World tour.

This is definitely from '79:

Attachment: silver.jpg 17 KB
This has been downloaded 128 time(s).

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

The Real Wizard

Posted: 08 Mar 07, 00:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When it comes to Queen concerts in the 70s, very little of it is known, if you look at documentation vs. concerts as a ratio. Most 70s tours have only a few bootlegs, and pictures from a few shows. If we're trying to generalize something for an entire tour, all we can do is make educated guesses. We don't really have this problem with the 80s tours, especially the Works and Magic tours, since they're so well documented.

But we need to be careful. For example, some people think that Freddie only wore the green and red outfit on the ADATR tour because of the Earls Court video, and they think that Freddie wore the black one only on the NOTW tour because of the Houston and Munich videos. But the truth is, it went both ways, and there are fortunately pictures to prove it.

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 07, 04:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The answer is in Queen - As It Began:

22-12-1977 Los Angeles: Santa Claus
22-12-1979 Alexandra Palace, London: Bananas
20-11-1980 Zurich: Darth Vader

Freddie wore the silver glitter outfit when he performed with the Royal ballet in 1979 (October 7th), so it was not a one-off that he wore it on the Crazy Tour

edit: I move this to the Queen forum

I do not want any google ads here.

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 07, 04:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My question is does anyone know why he chose to throw bananas?

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."

Posted: 08 Mar 07, 06:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello again
Hey YourValentine Thx for the dates by the way "Queen - As It Began" is it a book or a documentary?
And Sir GH that picture you uploaded i didn't know about that it was really quite strange seeing freddie wearing glitter and on the back of superman cause the glitter suit refers to 1977.

Brimon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 571 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 07, 07:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=red><b>Mr Mercury</b> wrote:

My question is does anyone know why he chose to throw bananas?

Maybe he considered the audience to be like monkeys in a cage. Or perhaps it was the drugs.

More than likely he just thought it was funny.

KevoM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 292 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 07, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No doubt he'd be looked up by the PC police if he was alive and did it today!