Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Love of My Life: Crowd doesn't know the words

forum rss feed
Author

fightingdove user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 31 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 07, 20:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember seeing and/or hearing a live performance of this song where the crowd actually did not sing along. Freddie was quite shocked and said something to the effect of "You don't know the words." or "I can't believe you don't know the words". Does anyone know what performance that was and where its available? It's driving me crazy!!!

Be free with your tempo

www.myspace.com/fightingdove
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 07, 20:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wasn't that the one from Canada? We Will Rock You?

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"

Posted: 09 Mar 07, 21:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yup. Thats it just found it on YouTube THANKS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlDEKhvVliM

Be free with your tempo

skiqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 678 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 07, 23:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it sounds so incomplete without the audience!

"Boredom is the biggest disease in the whole world, darling."

Unfortunately, I have it.

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 07, 01:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally, if the crowd doesn't sing with Queen, they just might as well finger eachother and then smell their fingers.

Give Queen some entertainment for a change! They'd love to see that going on in the audience!

Freddie would of yelled "Now tell me girls, do you got stinky fingers?!?!?!?!"

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"

Posted: 10 Mar 07, 11:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just really thought it was quite funny that Fred was all miffed. I'm surprised they used that concert as a release that they sold on video (which I owned on VHS)

Be free with your tempo

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 07, 12:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the audience recording(s) of this/these show(s) would give you a different insight during this song (yes, it exists). I heard that the audience noise had been taken out for the biggest part. Actually, when I listen to the DVD in surround, it's like Queen playing in my own bedroom. It doesn't give me the live-feeling.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Haystacks Calhoun II user not visiting Queenzone.com
Haystacks Calhoun II
Bohemian: 930 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 07, 12:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He say, at one point, "They don't know it".

Pretty funny, but, since the band really had no control over what that release was, so it went.

Still a rockin good show, has probably the best later years live version I've heard of Jailhouse Rock. In that, Freddie screams "Move it you Fuckers, come on".

Typical Canadians.

The Golden Gate Bridge should have a long bungee cord for people who aren’t quite ready to commit suicide but want to get in a little practice.
Haystacks Calhoun II user not visiting Queenzone.com
Haystacks Calhoun II
Bohemian: 930 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 07, 12:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rjvHDKQQw8

The Golden Gate Bridge should have a long bungee cord for people who aren’t quite ready to commit suicide but want to get in a little practice.
s.m. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 291 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 07, 12:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i prefer when freddie sings it
exception is south america
they are really intense and they sing it with heart that matches the original

She was my lover

It was a shame that she died

But the constitution´s right on my side

Cos I cought my lover in my neighbours bed

I got retribution, filled´em full of lead
zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 07, 12:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm actually not sure whether Freddie is talking about the crowd not knowing the words.

He sings "... because you don't know what it means to me" Then says, "You don't know it. More likely he is just adlib-ing a bit to the lyrics. Compare to WATC at "Live At Wembley" where Freddie says (rather than sings) "I thank you all", just playing a bit with the lyrics of the song, that's all.

Flick of the wrist

Posted: 10 Mar 07, 14:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, yes. I thought so at first also. But there's no denying the look that he and Brian exchange when he says it. It's a "What the fock?" Look if I ever saw one. At this point in there career it was a staple for the crowd to sing along. Fred usually just stops singing and lets the crowd take over. Even if the crowd noise is reduced as previously mentioned we should have heard Fred stop singing (but we didn't).

The crowd (or the majority there of) did not know the words or did not want to sing.
Fred was miffed (whether or not he said you don't know it as an adlib or as a statement under his breath to the crowd)

Someone also posted the Jailhouse rock performance and if that isn't any indication on how many dead fish were in that crowd I'm not sure what is.

It's still quite funny to watch, though

Be free with your tempo

bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 07, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On the whole I prefer the earlier peformances of Love Of My Life, before crowd participation.

I appreciate that the the two concerts were specifically arranged for a future video release at the time, but the VHS/DVD is a bit of a letdown...excellent performance by the group but an extremely quiet crowd throughout.

marcenciels user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 194 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 07, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

we will rock you...live montréal 1981...i was there.

thing is when another one bites the dust came out...the song fond a new crowd of fan...the DIsCOS !!!...so it was a show of 1/3 disco...1/3 rockers and 1/3 long time fans.

i was signing and a few also, but when Freddie took notice of it saying " you dont know it do ya ", he gave a great signing performance.

so, alot of new first time fans at that show, but everybody left de forum in a great mood, one of the best show of queen i've seen in my life, yes !

Posted: 10 Mar 07, 18:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

and confirmed.

Be free with your tempo

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 07, 12:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haystacks Calhounski wrote:

Still a rockin good show, has probably the best later years live version I've heard of Jailhouse Rock. In that, Freddie screams "Move it you Fuckers, come on".

Typical Canadians.

North American audiences generally don't sing along at concerts. They like to be entertained, and that's it. Japanese and European audiences, on the other hand, love to sing along. It's just cultural differences.

In short, no need for the nationalistic slurs.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 07, 13:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not to discount your theory, Bob, but at both Who (Two) concerts I was at, the audience was absolutely vociferous, causing Roger to joke that, "If you guys would shut the fuck up, we'd be able to hear ourselves sing!" When listening to 'Baba O'Riley' from both concerts, we almost drowned out Roger.

Of course, I've been to a few other concerts over the past year or two where the audience just sat and enjoyed the concert. When I saw The Stones, I pretty much just mouthed along, but it might've had to do with the nosebleed seats I had. (And I didn't even sing along at the Johnny Winter concert I saw...)

Maybe it's just Philadelphia who love to sing...

But as for the Montreal concerts, I maintain that the audience was mixed waaaaaaaaay down, because when you see the (very few) audience shots, they appear to be going wild, but you can barely hear them. Maybe when (if) the concert is ever re-re-re-re-re-released, a proper mix will be done to bring the audience back up. Who knows.

Nathan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2305 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 07, 18:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whoever did the sound mix must have been trying to frame the audience for a crime they didn't commit.

you_rock_my_socks06 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 287 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 07, 18:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haystacks Calhounski wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rjvHDKQQw8

Haha love it!!

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 07, 23:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

Not to discount your theory, Bob, but at both Who (Two) concerts I was at, the audience was absolutely vociferous, causing Roger to joke that, "If you guys would shut the fuck up, we'd be able to hear ourselves sing!" When listening to 'Baba O'Riley' from both concerts, we almost drowned out Roger.

Right, but we must keep in mind that on our side of the Atlantic, to call Baba O'Riley an anthem is a massive understatement. Few people know Love Of My Life, and of those who do, most of them haven't heard the live versions. In Europe, South America, Japan, etc. on the other hand.......

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca