Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen II vs Sheer Heart Attack: Rise or Retreat?

forum rss feed
Author

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Mar 07, 18:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The vast majority prefer 'II' and consider it a more complex album. Now my question is, is it really that way? I mean, tastes aside, just because the songs in 'Sheer' aren't as "portentous" as 'II' it doesn't mean they're musically inferior. But otoh there are more mistakes on 'Sheer' than 'II'.

What do you all think?

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 07, 18:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i don;t like SHA as much as it has a more unblanced feel in it...Brian was ill...so the tour stopped, and this album is a little overblown with Brian=type arrangements...as he had loads of tme on his hands while convalescing...

queen II on the other hand, has a really creative feel and blend to it...

go deo na h√Čireann
Nathan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2305 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 07, 18:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I find Sheer Heart Attack to be a bit more light-hearted than Queen II. Nevertheless, Queen II is my preferred album.

Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 07, 20:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree! Queen II is my personal favorite as well. A VERY ambitious album for such a new and young band at the time. All the trademarks were in place and the creativity was really over the top. SHA on the other hand is still a very good album but a lot more "raw" sounding to my ears. Again, the tradmarks of a Queen performance are there but it sounds much grittier than Queen II and what was to come in the next several studio albums.

ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1021 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 07, 22:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the album-feeling is much better on Queen II.

But there are of course many great songs on the Sheer Heart Attack album. Like In the Lap of the Gods, Killer Queen and Flick of the Wrist...

But I think Queen II and A Day at the Races are the best albums..

Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
7Innuendo7 user not visiting Queenzone.com
7Innuendo7
Bohemian: 816 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 07, 22:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QII seems to be the more whole or organic piece, the cover art alone projects order and power, while the cover of SHA brims with chaos and explosive force. "March of the Black Queen" vs "Stone Cold Crazy" make some of the early setlists interesting, the surging wall of sound that only retreats after the final strains of "God Save the Queen." So I picked out my cd of Hammy Odeon '75 -- the December -- looks like now I want the November set at the same venue...

When a red hot man meets a white hot lady, Hoop Diddy Diddy, Hoop Diddy Doo!
OgreBattleField1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
OgreBattleField1980
Bohemian: 503 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 07, 23:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I too prefer Queen 2 over Sheer Heart Attack , it has more of a balance and was pure genious. A sign of good things to come.

Ogre Battle Lives FOREVER MORE!
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 07, 00:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I find a good album doesn't have to be complex and sophisticated.

I like catchy things. I don't find much on Queen II catchy. I've got the album and have listened to it many times and I don't find it catchy. I like the self titled album better. I think, Queen is an over-rated album amongst Queen fans. I think they like it because it's strange and different. But I don't find it catchy. I find Hot Space to be more catchy than anything on Queen II. Stuff on Queen II is forgettable. It may be complex and sophisticated, but it is also forgettable. The lyrics on Queen II are VERY more genious than anything Queen has done, yet some can be naive and immature. If Father To Son didn't mention the words 'Father to son... to son' I'd actually like it more. The smallest of things can ruin a song for me. Ogre Battle is one of my favorite songs on Queen II... but it's lyrics are very weird. I like weird things, but it goes down to hilarious. The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke reminds me of masterbation. I just don't like fairy tale themes.

My Queen II personal highlights are Funny How Love Is, Seven Seas Of Rhye, Nevermore, Ogre Battle, and March Of The Black Queen.

I like this album, but some of it can be too long and un-catchy.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 07, 01:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen2 is my personal favorite, but SHA is really the beginning of the queen era as we know it. I disagree with some of the above comments, I think SHA has a better balance of music than queen2 has. A variety of styles that made queen famous like the combination of hard rock/metal like "stoned cold crazy" and "brighton rock/now I'm here" and other styles like the broadway rock "bring back that leroy brown" and "killer queen." Mixing of styles was a huge part of queens career and that was lacking on the queen2 album. If I had to pick one of these albums for myself I would say Queen2, It's my favorite album of all time, but if I was trying to get a friend into queens music I would start with SHA, ANATO and ADATR.

Jan78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 264 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 07, 05:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

.*.Messenger: Jake Pyndle.*. wrote:

I like this album, but some of it can be too long and un-catchy.

LOL...sounds like you're actually talking about Metallica's "...and justice for all"

Daveboy35 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 619 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 07, 05:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi i agree with mike hunt view and also having gone down the road twice with "queen" and "queen 2" i think they were looking for a new direction, you know new sounding material hard rock, jazz pop even and trying out new ideas.

You most probably know this but by mid 74 brian was basically out of action and his input wasn't put in at the time, it was done a lot later when he was well enough and the way it was recorded not having brian around for great periods of time would paint a different picture and lastly you have roger and now john deacon penning tunes so the mixture of sounds on the album would be evident.

I love queen 2 it's my fave album along with SHA queen 2 has a cohesive feel to it where as SHA has the same (Tenement funsiter thru to lily of the valley) so the fading into songs which was evident on queen 2 was still done on SHA.

Yes we'll keep on tryin

we'll tread that fine line

oh oh we'll keep on tryin

till the end of time

till the end of time.

Rotwang user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 296 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 07, 11:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's like the Star Trek movies; the even ones are better: Queen II, ANATO, NOTW, The Game, The Works....okay it ends there because Innuendo is better than The Miracle and I don't count Flash or GH. Although there are some great songs and musical ideas, SHA seems more of a "left overs" album. Still terrific, though. I prefer Queen II.

"You Can Be Anything You Want To Be"
Daniel Nester user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daniel Nester
Bohemian: 735 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 07, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's apples and oranges, but I would say the production on SHA is far more clear and less muddy than Q and QII. The drum sounds in particular. There is that same mixed-bag eclecticism you don't see in the later albums, so I can see people making the comparison.

In a lot of ways, thought, it's the perfect bridge album between QII and ANATO. So I'd vote for "rise."

God Save My Queen and God Save My Queen II | Soft Skull Press | http://www.danielnester.com
.DeaconJohn. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 437 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 07, 14:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I much prefer SHA...I don't see what all the fuss is about with Queen II.

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 07, 15:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen II is a very difficult album to get to like in the first place. I think it is very dark, with thick layered arrangements and sometimes there are too many things happening at a time. Yes, it is complex and pure genius but I miss the rocking riffs and hard edged guitar sounds. I had to listen to live versions of Ogre Battle and Father to Son to even pay attention to the guitar parts.

On the other hand, Sheer Heart Attack has it all in the right doses. You have Queen's hardest riffs (SCC and NIH) and some of Brian's best guitar work (Brighton Rock), beautiful arrangements (LOTV and KQ), one of Freddie's best anthemic songs (ITLOTGr) and some very cool experiments (Leroy and ITLOTG).

Riffs are riffs, melodies are melodies, you don't have 8 different guitar settings with 4 different effects playing over the same riff, bluring the edges and making it lose its effect.

I regard Queen II as a masterpiece production and lyric wise and as a concept-ish album, but I think Sheer Heart Attack has better songs overall.

JCW

bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 07, 15:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wiley wrote:

Queen II is a very difficult album to get to like in the first place. I think it is very dark, with thick layered arrangements and sometimes there are too many things happening at a time. Yes, it is complex and pure genius but I miss the rocking riffs and hard edged guitar sounds. I had to listen to live versions of Ogre Battle and Father to Son to even pay attention to the guitar parts.

On the other hand, Sheer Heart Attack has it all in the right doses. You have Queen's hardest riffs (SCC and NIH) and some of Brian's best guitar work (Brighton Rock), beautiful arrangements (LOTV and KQ), one of Freddie's best anthemic songs (ITLOTGr) and some very cool experiments (Leroy and ITLOTG).

Riffs are riffs, melodies are melodies, you don't have 8 different guitar settings with 4 different effects playing over the same riff, bluring the edges and making it lose its effect.

I regard Queen II as a masterpiece production and lyric wise and as a concept-ish album, but I think Sheer Heart Attack has better songs overall.

JCW

I agree entirely.

Josh Henson user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 693 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 07, 15:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like SHA better

I'm just getting used to my new exposure

Come into my enclosure

And meet my melancholy blues
ermin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 07, 16:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with Wiley. QII is an extremely innovative and interesting album, but it's not easy to listen to. Also, the sound is not as clear, so many details are kinda fuzzy.

SHA, on the other hand, definitely has those catchy tunes and songs. The sound is much clearer. As much as QII was innovative and experimental, the band realized it was too complex for rock audience. SHA shows the lessons learned from Queen and Queen II. In many ways, SHA is my favorite album.

ermin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 07, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I forgot to mention that, apart from She Makes Me, I absolutely love all songs on SHA and they are among my favorite Queen songs. I remember having a SHA record (vynil) and playing it over and over again. It's such a strong album. In some ways, it's even better than ANATO, though ANATO has superior arrangements and--as Freddie liked to say--'those clever bits', though SHA is not far behind. SHA has more songs that I like to listen on a regular basis than ANATO, though Death on Two Legs is probably my favorite song from these two albums.

claudiox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 07, 16:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My opinion is QII is a very personal album, probably the most characteristic, even over ANATO!
The funny thing is that there's not a whistable song from QII cos it's a hard and sophisticated set of songs.
I love QII, indeed there's a lot of wonderful sounds, expecially for a band came at the second act.
On the other hand sheer heart attack gave Queen their first top ten with KillerQueen and the sound of the album has a more commercial style.

QII amd SHA are the two side of Queen trademark.
bye
Claudio