Forums > Sharing The Music - Request > Are there any recorded versions of the Smile version of Silver Salmon?

forum rss feed
Author

Mike S. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 43 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Mar 07, 01:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just reading the Wikipedia page for Smile (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smile_(band)) and under the list of songs the band has played either live or in the studio I noticed Silver Salmon.
Does anyone know if this version was ever recorded and if so if it exists online?

Thanks.

-Mike.

Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 07, 01:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I didn't even know it was a Smile song...

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 07, 03:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's probably a case of the "Wikipedia Disease". ANYONE can write ANYTHING in there, whether it's true or not.

Frankly this is the first I've heard of this and I suppose that it is possible, but still it seems highly unlikely. A few years back there were rumours that there was a Smile version of "White Queen" and it seemed quite plausible until Tim Staffel confirmed that Smile never recorded it.

Then again I'm no expert. One of the die-hard collectors might have the recording in their personal archives. Whether or not they'd be willing to share is a whole different story altogether.

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 07, 11:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tim did write Silver Salmon

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)

Posted: 13 Mar 07, 11:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bigV wrote:

It's probably a case of the "Wikipedia Disease". ANYONE can write ANYTHING in there, whether it's true or not.

V.

I realize it is Wikipedia, and that because of this someone could have listed false information, but considering it [Silver Salmon] was written by Tim (it's believed at least) I think it's very possible that they did perform it.
It would be nice to know if there is a recording lying around though.

Posted: 13 Mar 07, 11:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*Double Post*

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 07, 15:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tim Staffell confirmed he wrote it at the convention in (i think) 2004. I believe he also played it, but i'm not sure.

They did change the arrangements a bit, Tims version was more of a spanish folk song. But this ofcourse doesn't mean that they ever played or recorded it with Smile

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Ale_Pisa user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ale_Pisa
Bohemian: 901 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 07, 20:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bigV wrote:

Frankly this is the first I've heard of this and I suppose that it is possible, but still it seems highly unlikely. A few years back there were rumours that there was a Smile version of "White Queen" and it seemed quite plausible until Tim Staffel confirmed that Smile never recorded it.

Then again I'm no expert. One of the die-hard collectors might have the recording in their personal archives. Whether or not they'd be willing to share is a whole different story altogether.

V.

Somewhere I read that Smile rehearsal the recording on a garage and a "home demo" exist in the Brian May's collection!

Cheers
ALe

Sorry for my english! :(