Forums > Queen - General Discussion > May wasn't kidding about Steve Vai

forum rss feed
Author

AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Mar 07, 13:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1VjwciFLAg

I thought Brian May was just being humble when he declared that he had "no illusions" about being in the same league with Steve Vai and Joe Satriani. I still haven't seen anything by the later that suggests he's anything near Brian, but the link above should clearly cite excellent reason for May's submission to Vai. This guy is a freaking alien! Watch that video and then tell me there's a better guitarist in the world.

I'd still take Brian as my favorite due first and foremost to the sound of the Red Special, but I have yet to see Vai's equal in technical mastery. This video really blows my mind.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 07, 13:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Steve Vai is certainly certainly a much better technical player but what I love about Brian is the emotion that he puts into his playing.

jazzy mercurois user not visiting Queenzone.com
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois
Royalty: 1716 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 07, 13:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

Steve Vai is certainly certainly a much better technical player but what I love about Brian is the emotion that he puts into his playing.
and Steve doesn't?

CONLACANTINACONLACANTORACONLATELEVISIONGASTADORA
bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 07, 14:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What sets Brian May apart from other great guitarists is not so much his playing ability, but his songwriting - both musically and lyrically.

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

Elizabeth Knightson user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 351 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 07, 14:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

True Steve Vai is a very good guitarist, but I prefer the sound of the Red...imagine Steve playing the red!

Little Delilah
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 07, 14:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He's fast, but he plays without any feeling.

Technique doesn't say shit

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 07, 15:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

its boring... he is always trying to show how technical he is and fast he is...

Queen rocks!
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois

Posted: 15 Mar 07, 15:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He just tries to show off his speed, huh?

tell me just ONE song where Steve plays just fast.

just ONE.

I have all of his records, and can't find that one song yet. Instead, I find lots of songs played with LOTS of fucking emotion and loads of great melodies. Played perfectly, of course.

If Steve plays with no feeling, then feeling does NOT exist.

user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 07, 16:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BigV and VSS are right.

Steve Vai is one of the most emotionally-charged and innovative guitarists out there. He's one of the few guitarists who can be completely at one with his instrument.

Brian May, while not as technically proficient, has all the same emotion, refined through some of the best songwriting that has ever graced the world of music.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 07, 16:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Valensian Sky Surveillance wrote:

PieterMC wrote:

and Steve doesn't?

I wouldn't say Steve Vai lacks emotion in his playing but it doesn't affect me the way some other musicians do. He is a monster player, no doubt, but I prefer Brian among others.

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 07, 16:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zappa was absolutely speechless at Vai's skill. That says it all for me.

And seeing how Satriani taught Vai, that should be sufficient proof for Joe's skills.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

bigV

Posted: 15 Mar 07, 16:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Take David "don't-call-me-Dave" Gilmour. He's doesn't really play fast, but the emotion he puts into every solo he plays... Oh, man! Save for Queen's "Bijou" I don't think that there's any other guitarist who has made me cry. Gilmour has done it with "Comfortably Numb", "Marooned", "Shine On" et cetera, et cetera...

V.

Marcelo_argentina user not visiting Queenzone.com
Marcelo_argentina
Bohemian: 219 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 07, 17:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

C´amon you people...we all know Steve is an amazing guitar player...we all know about him...and his great music...the diference is that Brian May is the guitarist of Queen..that´s a big, huge diference guys!!...

Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois

Posted: 15 Mar 07, 17:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

teleman wrote:

Valensian Sky Surveillance wrote:

PieterMC wrote:

and Steve doesn't?

I wouldn't say Steve Vai lacks emotion in his playing but it doesn't affect me the way some other musicians do. He is a monster player, no doubt, but I prefer Brian among others.
Then that's YOUR problem, not Steve's.

It's not his fault that you don't understand his music.

Not everybody can enjoy something like the Fire Garden suite.

ah

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 07, 18:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You can't accuse someone of playing with a "lack of emotion". Emotion is relative to one's tastes.

Players like Vai are over most people's heads. The mainstream is mostly exposed to guys like Clapton, Page, and Santana who stick with major and minor scales over simple chords. Players like Vai, Satriani, and Petrucci, however, are just plain over the heads of most people - which is fine. Nobody says we have to like them all. But the fact is, you will never, ever find people who musically understand these fine musicians saying how they play too fast, or don't play with emotion.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 07, 19:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My tuppence worth?

Brian's playing is more accessible, more recognisable, more....more FUN damn-it...

I won't get into a who's better who's best competition slanging match, but I will say this: you never saw Steve Vai in the Top 10 too much back in the day...

"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 07, 19:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gilmour and May are songwriters first, guitarists second. When it comes only to guitar playing, Vai is way better than both.

And Steve's a wonderful songwriter too, and plays other instruments, and sings quite well.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Back2TheLight user not visiting Queenzone.com
Back2TheLight
Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 07, 19:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You see, I grew up with Vai and Satriani and Clapton, and all the virtuosos. Quite honestly, they are all fine guitarists in their own right. Jimmy Page was a songwriter...he's an average guitarist. Ever hear that guy on Led Zpeelin's last tour?? Good God!! My point being...Brian May has got his own thing to him, as does Satriani and Vai. They both have great skill, and they all play with quite a bit of emotion. But they just play their instrument differently. That's all. It's got nothing to do with technique, or any of that garbage. Ask yourself...what was it that attracted you to Brian May's guitar playing?? Or Vai? Or any of those guys?? They made a sound that grabbed your ears and your heart and didn't let go. Therefore, you turned all your nickles and dimes over to get their records. Case closed. Brian May is just being humble about himself, which there was a day when he was like that...not so much now, but 15, 20 years ago?? Absolutely!!

I Want It All And I Want It Now!!
maxpower user not visiting Queenzone.com
maxpower
Bohemian: 477 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 07, 21:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For me Hendrix rip off - dull as fuck bored me after 45 seconds, no where near Brian stick "technique" where ever you wish... give me Mick Jones any day of the week it you want excitement

bigV

Posted: 15 Mar 07, 21:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Gilmour and May are songwriters first, guitarists second. When it comes only to guitar playing, Vai is way better than both.

And Steve's a wonderful songwriter too, and plays other instruments, and sings quite well.

A wonderful songwriter he may be, but I can't imagine him writing something along the lines of "High Hopes" or "The Show Must Go On". And THAT is what makes messirs Gilmour and May legends.

V.