Forums > Personal > Can you Believe This???

forum rss feed
Author

AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Mar 07, 16:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17879317/site/newsweek/

This survey says that 48% of Americans do not believe in evolution. As if that isn't scary enough, 34% of COLLEGE EDUCATED people do not believe in evolution either.
How in the heck can it be that people are college educated and don't believe in evolution? They must have gone to the Jerry Farwell "schools" of indoctrination. How do they think we got here then? Creationism? This makes me very nervous for the future, and explains a lot of problems we have in America with religion and science.
Discuss

Formerly MHG
user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 07, 17:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Polls are never a dependable place to base worries off of. I don't find this alarming or cause for concern at all.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
KillerQueen840 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4081 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 07, 17:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with Music Man...

Anyhow, just to add a tid bit to the discussion--I go to a Catholic highschool, and even in biology there we were taught the theory of evolution.

It is a bit odd though meeting people who don't believe in it. Quite a while ago I was eating lunch with someone who didn't, and it was an interesting discussion to say the least.
Of course, she's the type of person who is convinced everything she says is right, and I couldn't even get half of my thoughts said.

"The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keep out the joy."

(Jim Rohn)
Yogurt user not visiting Queenzone.com
Yogurt
Royalty: 1927 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 07, 17:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't find this something to be worried about

I don't swim in your toilet, so don't pee in my pool!

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 07, 17:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=lime>KillerQueen840 wrote:

Of course, she's the type of person who is convinced everything she says is right, and I couldn't even get half of my thoughts said.

thats just women being women
{im gonna get SOOOOO many mental slaps for that}

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

KillerQueen840 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4081 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 07, 17:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

joxerthepanties-salesman wrote:

LOL yes you are.

And you deserve it.

"The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keep out the joy."

(Jim Rohn)
Yogurt

Posted: 31 Mar 07, 17:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ha ha! Luckily I'm not the type that will get offended with kind of statement. But in my defense, not all women are like that. Although I do know alot of females who behave that way.

JoxerTheDeityPirate

Posted: 31 Mar 07, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yogurt<br><font size=1>The Artist wrote:

Ha ha! Luckily I'm not the type that will get offended with kind of statement. But in my defense, not all women are like that. Although I do know alot of females who behave that way.

so do i and i hope none of them read this lol
i have my hard hat on just in case :-]

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 07, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Three kinds of lies

Lies,
Damned Lies,
and Statistics

DJ's the man we love the most
AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 07, 18:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's why I put this here...for discussion.
I'm not particularly worried about it either, but I think it explains a lot.

Formerly MHG
JoxerTheDeityPirate

Posted: 31 Mar 07, 19:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

im always wary of statistics,esp when it comes from the USA.it never seems to ring true anywhere else in the world.

apparantly 99.9% of QZ'ers have had enough of innuendo1990 but im sure its higher than that

Yogurt

Posted: 31 Mar 07, 22:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=666600>Music Man wrote:

Polls are never a dependable place to base worries off of. I don't find this alarming or cause for concern at all.

Is this the Music Man that I know
when I used to post on queenzone, or
a different one?

Carol! the Musical user not visiting Queenzone.com
Carol! the Musical
Deity: 5934 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 07, 23:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let people think what they want to think.

-Things Have Changed For Me-
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 07, 23:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=660066>Pomponias Marrion wrote:

Yeah. Who needs logic?

Sure! Let's ignore something that actually happens every time we breed (ever notice how people are living longer, getting taller, things like that?).

Believing in God is fine, but I'm sick of pandering to fanatical nitwits in other countries that want to start teaching Creationism in the schools where I live. I'm also sick of calling evolution a 'theory' just to keep said nitwits happy.

Belief in a deity or deities does not preclude a bit of common sense, surprisingly. Why can't it be a case of God 'starting' evolution or whatever, as opposed to God making the earth 4000 years ago and simply making hundred-million-year old fossils just to poke fun at us?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uIwiPsgRrOs

Freedom of belief is almost 100% a good idea. However, when it comes to Creationism or Scientology (as if anyone actually believes that shit) we really ought to do our best to excise it from the public consciousness.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Sweetie user not visiting Queenzone.com
shitbrick
Sweetie
Deity: 2835 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 07, 02:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In my opinion, Americans are dumb and Aussies are smart

Evil will always triumph 'cause good is dumb.

Posted: 01 Apr 07, 02:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yogurt<br><font size=1>The Artist wrote:

Is this the Music Man that I know
when I used to post on queenzone, or
a different one?

Did I say something incredibly uncharacteristic of me, or are you just curious?

Either way, yes.

bobo the chimp

Posted: 01 Apr 07, 02:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=Mercury>Larry Lurex's Girl wrote:

In my opinion, Americans are dumb and Aussies are smart

Well.... that riot business in Cronulla makes me feel otherwise. But I'm glad Creationism hasn't taken off here. Yet.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller

Posted: 01 Apr 07, 02:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

Yeah. Who needs logic?

Sure! Let's ignore something that actually happens every time we breed (ever notice how people are living longer, getting taller, things like that?).

Believing in God is fine, but I'm sick of pandering to fanatical nitwits in other countries that want to start teaching Creationism in the schools where I live. I'm also sick of calling evolution a 'theory' just to keep said nitwits happy.

Belief in a deity or deities does not preclude a bit of common sense, surprisingly. Why can't it be a case of God 'starting' evolution or whatever, as opposed to God making the earth 4000 years ago and simply making hundred-million-year old fossils just to poke fun at us?

Freedom of belief is almost 100% a good idea. However, when it comes to Creationism or Scientology (as if anyone actually believes that shit) we really ought to do our best to excise it from the public consciousness.

As long as a contrasting opinion is possible, there will be a person who holds it. I absolutely believe in a person's freedom to believe what he wants, and I am absolutely against the intentional or willful excisement of ANY belief that does not infringe upon the basic rights of others.

To clarify, there is no inalienable right to not hear others' opinions. So Christians, Scientologists, and even Satan worshippers are all here to stay, and we all just need to bear with it. It would very much sadden me to see people enforce their ideals of a "good society" on others, even if that society is entirely bereft of political fanatics and religious zealots. A free society is the best society.

bobo the chimp

Posted: 01 Apr 07, 07:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"As long as a contrasting opinion is possible, there will be a person who holds it. I absolutely believe in a person's freedom to believe what he wants, and I am absolutely against the intentional or willful excisement of ANY belief that does not infringe upon the basic rights of others.

To clarify, there is no inalienable right to not hear others' opinions. So Christians, Scientologists, and even Satan worshippers are all here to stay, and we all just need to bear with it. It would very much sadden me to see people enforce their ideals of a "good society" on others, even if that society is entirely bereft of political fanatics and religious zealots. A free society is the best society."

All true.... but I think if we (over a generation or two) stamp out Creationism and ridicule it heaps, it'll cut down conversation time at a phenomenal rate. I just can't stand arguing with people about it anymore.
There are plenty of valid debates on can have over God 'n' what it has or hasn't done, what can and can't be proven... but Creationism officially lost the argument well over a century ago. Time to move on!

Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 07, 08:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

Yeah. Who needs logic?

As long as a contrasting opinion is possible, there will be a person who holds it. I absolutely believe in a person's freedom to believe what he wants, and I am absolutely against the intentional or willful excisement of ANY belief that does not infringe upon the basic rights of others.

To clarify, there is no inalienable right to not hear others' opinions. So Christians, Scientologists, and even Satan worshippers are all here to stay, and we all just need to bear with it. It would very much sadden me to see people enforce their ideals of a "good society" on others, even if that society is entirely bereft of political fanatics and religious zealots. A free society is the best society.

Not ALL free societies are good... Queenzone is a very good example. ;)

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!