Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Exactly What Queen Live Footage DOES Exist - DEFINITIVE LIST

forum rss feed
Author

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Apr 07, 07:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There are many many myths and misconceptions about what Queen live film does and does not exist.

Of course there are certain concerts we all know to exist, but even in those cases there can be speculation and confusion about whether the whole show was filmed or just part of it: just one or two songs, or the intro or encore sections.

I would like to gather a comprehensive list of what we all collectively KNOW to exist. NOT 'think' exists, or "I heard that Sunbury 74 exists," or "my mate reckons that Glders Green...." etc, but only that which DEFINITELY 100% CERTAIN exists, because you've seen it and/or actually have it, and can therefore supply it. So often on QZ, and elsewhere, people claim to have things which they ultimately cannot supply... remember Sunbury 74???

Speculation is all very good and sometimes healthy, but if we just stick with the known facts here, we should be able to come up with a definitive and totally accurate list. FURTHERMORE, I think it only fair that we (QPL) share what we know about Queen concerts on film with you too, so it's a two-way fair deal. If that's the only way to get this done thoroughly then that's fair enough. I will talk to Jim Beach and Co about this and I'm sure this will be approved.

We are in FIND mode at the moment, and have been for the last four years, on and off, so NOW is the time to let us know what is out there and we will chase it up. Recently you guys have come up with leads on Knebworth & Mannheim 86, Montreal 78, etc, and we are seriously looking into what exists. If we can find these things and secure copies WE ALL will benefit.

So... let's NOT have anyone coming onto this thread shouting that Greg Brooks wants QZ to do his job for him - lazy bastard - and all that very predictable rubbish. INSTEAD, let's collectively, very carefully and meticulously piece together a list of QUEEN IN CONCERT FOOTAGE.

* What definitely exists - which shows.

* What track/tracks do you definitely have in your collection from this show/s - or what have you definitely seen.

REMEMBER - we're not interested in what you 'think' or might have heard about once, but only what you know for sure.

* Where did you see the footage.

* What quality was/it it.

* Do you know the source of the material and the format of the original tape.

Privately shot footage is great too. We could maybe use it in some form, perhaps as bonus material. You can see for yourself on Beatles Anthology that all kinds of footage (no matter how poor it may seem) can be used, and is extremely interesting.

FOR EXAMPLE... I once saw a clip of SON AND DAUGHTER on the BBC Pop Quiz programme of the 1980s. I think it was Rainbow, but from the March gig - not the familiar Nov shows. I spoke to Jim Jenkins about this and I will do again, but my point is.... ALL I can say for sure, in that instance, based only on what I have seen, is that PART of Son & Daughter from March 74 was shown on BBC Pop Quiz. I cannot assume the entire song exists, nor the entire concert. I can only report what I KNOW in this one little instance. Assume nothing, stick to the facts please. You get my point.

Before you tell me... yes i know about Rainbow 74, march and nov. That was just an example.

Please let's just deal in known facts. You tell me what you know and have, I'll tell you what 'we' know about Queen live concerts, and what we have. GENUINE offer, so please no idiots spouting off because they love to have a go at GB. Let's not waste time or this opportunity.

Thanks

GB
radio_what's_new user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 07, 08:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why don't you start with sharing your information, we can complete it with our information.

mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 07, 08:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg, the early 70's footage from March was shared on here a while ago and it was 9 minutes long. It was also awful in quality video wise and has some crackling on the sound as well. Songs on it were

Son And Daughter (Including Brighton Rock Solo)
Modern Times Rock And Roll

*edit*

Heres the link (thanks to the original poster, frank39 I think, who put this up on here a while back)

http://rapidshare.com/files/25109514/Rainbow_31_1_.3.1974.mpg.html

Hopefully I will also have the time to make a list of what I do have as well (no promises though ok)

Dave

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2256 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 07, 08:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is all I can remember for now, considering well-known recordings are to be excluded:

A fast spot from Queen soundchecking for Rock in Rio was broadcasted at the time by Globo TV, the same that aired the whole two concerts. I can tell it was a rockabilly, maybe Jailhouse Rock.

I have no idea if they still have it on tape.

Not much, but I hope it helps.

Cheers and good luck with the project,

Ogre-

Keep Passing the Open Windows
ern2150 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 302 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 07, 09:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.queenconcerts.com/live/filter.html?filter_typ=0&filter_band%5Bqueen%3D%271%27%5D=1&date_condition=%3D&date_value=&year_condition=%3D&year_value=&country=&city=&video=1&fulltext=&search=search&show=1

This list should be the STARTING POINT for the audience and professional recordings search.

Granted, the first entry is Sunbury, which is obviously in dispute, but please don't let that stop you using it as a baseline for what does/doesn't exist.

And based on the professionalism I've seen the site owner demonstrate on this forum in the past, I'm sure he'd be more than willing to update his information based on what comes out of this thread.

Again, whether or not you treat this as the definitive list (that is its ultimate goal) is immaterial -- it is simply the best-organized complete list of the information you seek. Please don't discard it.

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 07, 09:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'll be more happy to cooperate (and to update my list if necessary) but so far Queen Productions have never *ever* shown any will to cooperate.

So Greg - you start and we'll be happy to help. I assume audience recordings count too? There's at least one "new" 8mm film surfacing every year.

Btw. I'm not really an expert on existing live videos. The list on my site was compiled with help of true experts (you know who you are).

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 07, 09:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1974-03-31 Rainbow Theatre, London, UK
Modern Times Rock'n'Roll, Son And Daughter - the common bootleg video suffers from a bad film to NTSC conversion, my version is speed corrected

1974-11-19/20 Rainbow Theatre, London, UK
official release

1975-05-01 Nippon Budokan, Tokyo, Japan
Now I'm Here, Killer Queen, In the lap of the gods ...revisited + other footage

1975-12-24 Hammersmith Odeon, London, UK
intro, Now I'm Here, Ogre Battle, White Queen (As it began), Bohemian Rhapsody / Killer Queen / The March Of The Black Queen / Bohemian Rhapsody (finale) / Bring Back That Leroy brown, Brighton Rock / guitar solo / Son And Daughter (reprise), Keep Yourself Alive, Liar, In The Lap Of The Gods ... revisited, Big Spender / Jailhouse Rock / Stupid Cupid / Be Bop A Lula / Shake Rattle & Roll / Jailhouse Rock (reprise), God Save The Queen

1976-09-18 Hyde Park, London, UK
A Day At The Races (intro)/ Bohemian Rhapsody (opera part)/Bohemian Rapsody (heavy metal part) / Ogre Battle, Sweet Lady, White Queen (As It Began), Flick Of The Wrist, You're My Best Friend, Bohemian Rhapsody / Killer Queen / The March Of The Black Queen / Bohemian Rhapsody (reprise), Bring Back That Leroy Brown, Brighton Rock / guitar solo / Son And DaUGHTER, 39, You Take My Breath Away, The Prophet's Song / Stone Cold Crazy, Keep Yourself Alive, Liar, In The Lap Of The Gods ... revisited

1977-06-06 Earl's Court, London, UK
Procession/ A Day AT The Races intro / Tie Your Mother Down, Ogre Battle, White Quen (As It Began), Somebody To Love, Killer QUeen / Good Old-Fashioned Lover-Boy, The Millionaire Waltz / You're My Best friend / Bring Back That Leroy brown, Death On Two Legs, Doing All Right, Brighton Rock, '39, You Take My Breath Away, White Man / The Prophet's Song, Bohemian Rhaposdy, Keep Yourself ALivem Stone Cold Crazy, In The Lap Of The Gods ... revisited / Now I'm Here,Liar, Lucille / Jalihouse Rock / Saturday Night's Allright For Fighting / Stupid Cupid / Be Bop A Lula / Jailhouse Rock (reprise), God Save The Queen

1977-06-07 Earls Court, London, UK
Killer Queen, My Melancholy Blues, Lucille / Jalihouse Rock / Saturday Night's Allright For Fighting / Stupid Cupid / Be Bop A Lula / Jailhouse Rock (reprise), God Save The Queen

1977-12-11 Houston, Texas, USA
We Will Rock You (slow) / We Will Rock You (fast),
Brighton Rock, Somebody To Love, Death On Two Legs, Killer Queen, Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy, I'm In Love With My Car, Get Down Make Love, The Millionaire Waltz, You're My Best Friend, Liar, Love Of My Life, 39, My Melancholy Blues, White Man / Vocal improvisation / guitar solo / Now I'm Here, Stone Cold Crazy, Bohemian Rhapsody, Keep Yourself Alive, Tie Your Mother Down, We Will Rock You, We Are The Champions, Sheer HEart Attack / Jailhouse Rock. God Save The Queen

Just a start :)
BTW has it something with the new QUeen DVD ? :)

Darren1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 266 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 07, 09:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well i suppose the vaults should be checked first wouldn't you think.I mean is this another way of wiping our minds of supposed anthologies/singles box sets that were announced and supposed to be coming out. Endless discussion now for days on end about concerts and tv programmes that feature performances and interviews etc, but will they ever be released?
Do you have any info from the band as to why they shelved the boxes because it's getting a bit fucking monotonus now.
I suppose we can all look forward to xmas now for the platinum collection volume 2 and live in montreal dvd.Can't wait...

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 07, 09:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hey greg,maybe it is indeed interesting if you tell us what is in the Queen archive. for example:I know belgian television(i think RTBF) filmed 1 minute of 'Tie your mother down' but I have also read on various occasions(also in your book) that this show was filmed by Queen themselves(for the hammer to fall video).Is this true or not?

on my way up
popy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 450 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 07, 10:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

humm maybe if whe get this year GVH 3 and/or a concert from the 70's on DVD, instead of the already available (for many years in VHS and DVD) Montreal 81 DVD i will help...

GVH 1 - 2001
GVH 2 - 2003
GVH 3 - ...? 2008? 2009? with all the rush of the Queen + Paul Rodgers tour, the musical, the new Q+PR album... now the Montreal DVD that we already have... like the box sets, i'm starting to doubt that GVH 3 DVD will ever be available

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 07, 11:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dear Mr Brooks,

Very good post. I agree on every point you made. I have some stuff but I prefer not to talk about it on this board. Sorry.

Is there any change we might discuss this over private e-mail?

If you are interested you can send me an e-mail (mrducksoup@hotmail.com)

Cheers,
Dennis

The Fake Greg Brooks user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fake Greg Brooks
Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 07, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here ye go:

Rainbow 74
Hyde Park 76
Earls Court 77
Houston 77
Hammy Odeon 79
Japan 79
Munich 79
Paris 79
Montreal 81
Argentina 81
Brazil 81
Japan Seibu 82
Milton Keynes 82
Japan Tokyo 85
Rio 85
Live Aid 85
Budapest 86
Knebworth 86
Maine Road 86
Mannheim 86
Newcastle 86
Slane Castle 86
Wembley 86
Paris 97 – Queen & Elton

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 07, 12:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

I would like to gather a comprehensive list of what we all collectively KNOW to exist.

GENUINE offer, so please no idiots spouting off because they love to have a go at GB. Let's not waste time or this opportunity.

Thanks

Good luck Greg, really.
I think you're just attracting trouble, but my belief is that it ALL EXISTS in some form or fashion. While it would be great to know the source, just wait about 5 more years. By then it will ALL be up on youtube.

QPL needs to embrace youtube and take advantage of it instead of taking the Metallica stance and wanting to sue anyone who uses it.

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 07, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Surely the ideal way of doing this is to say "this is what we have, what can anyone add?"

That way, you don't get a bunch of teenagers giving you links to Youtube clips nicked off Live In Rio, you only get genuine additions.

Equally genuine response...

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3037 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 07, 13:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Greg for the encuraging, positive post. It will be good if we can get a definitive list of the live material.

It may however be helpful if you can get clearance from Jim/Queen to release of list of what you already have first, as this will help people from inundating you with countless emails, posts etc.. providing details of footage that you already know exists and/or that you have. This way, you can post the details of what you already have, and then ask specifically for info only about footage that isn't already on that list?

I genuinely wish you the best of luck with this long overdue exercise - I hope that once you get some data in, you will be able to give us regular (monthly??) updates of any new finds to whet our appetite??

Cheers

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 07, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg,i don't want to sound as if im getting on your case as i agree with what you have written and i also agree with the replies asking what concerts you already know about so we don't give you information you already have,thus wasting all our times but i have 1 question for you...
1 why has it taken 4 years of QPL fumbling around in the shadows before you ask for our help?

jox

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

Queenman!! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenman!!
Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 07, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!,Some weeks ago QueenfanTony from the Queenhub and Queenvrienden.nl had send a list with Questions to you,Mr.Brooks.

I asked if you could answer my question about confirming what videos were/are in the Queenvault. No response at that question. Now, I'm reading this story.I'm thinking WTF.

Please, We decent Queenfans are trading, sharing and speculating about Queen on video for years now. There are conventions which you have attent.Now it's time to throw the question back to you. What footage do you know happend to exist!??

Just visit the websites from the fans and Queenhub and you will know what's on video. We want to know what you know and not what we know ourselfs...

Cheers!

You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us feel like we could fly!
coops user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 07, 19:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Youtube would be a good place to start.

AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 07, 19:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Listen I am a fan Mr. Brooks of you, Queen, etc. but for one as much I would love to know what you all have and know exist am rather horrified to find out how little there is. I can't get over so little footage of live performances from the first five albums and hardly anything from what I have seen from the U.S. of A. That's why I was so astounded that apparently nothing was filmed in the U.S. from the reunion tour. I can't believe Slash wasn't filmed performing with them...

Josh Henson user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 693 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 07, 21:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg, shouldn't you know alot of this, since you're the archivist? And when is Queen going to release any 70's material on cd or dvd??? Please answer this, as I'm sure we all want to know. I asked Brian once about Hammy 75 and he said something to the effect that they were thinking about it or that it was a possibility. Don't quote me on that, but that was the gist of it.

I'm just getting used to my new exposure

Come into my enclosure

And meet my melancholy blues