Forums > Queen - General Discussion > queen's power

forum rss feed
Author

dont try suicide user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 131 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Apr 07, 07:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the queen of england sure made a pretty good run in the mid 90's huh?

anyway...

don't you think it's kinda funny how queen put every band out of business? t-rex, roxy music, 10cc, genesis, yes, uriah heap, sweet, slade, deep purple, mott the hoople, sparks; all were great bands that everyone thought would have great careers, but when queen hit the charts, those bands vanished without a trace. sure they tried to compete with queen, but they all failed.

what band from the late 60's and early 70's actually survived with a sucessful career after queen came into the scene?

Ayreon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 07, 09:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are you serious?

Most bands you mention are still highly appreciated by millions of musicfans. Surely those bands didn't quit the scene because they couldn't 'compete with Queen'.

Try to look at things in a bit broader perspective. Yes, they were a great band. One of the greatest. But there are many other very good bands too.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 07, 09:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QUEEN ARE THE ONLY BAND THAT EVER MATTERED EVERY OTHER BAND IS SHIT COMPARED TO QUEEN RAWRRRRRR!!!!!!!

bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 07, 09:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

QUEEN ARE THE ONLY BAND THAT EVER MATTERED EVERY OTHER BAND IS SHIT COMPARED TO QUEEN RAWRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Oh, the irony :D

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

dont try suicide user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 131 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 07, 10:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sure they're appreciated and i'm a big fan of all the bands i mentioned, but they didn't survive very long. they had great runs for a short period but couldn't keep up.

Posted: 11 Apr 07, 10:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dont try suicide wrote:

sure they're appreciated and i'm a big fan of all the bands i mentioned, but they didn't survive very long. they had great runs for a short period but couldn't keep up.

Genesis ran from 1969ish until 1998, and they're reforming this year. Yes started in 1968 and are still going strong. Not much of a "short period", if you ask me.

Joeker user not visiting Queenzone.com
Joeker
Bohemian: 753 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 07, 11:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

styx. styx toured with queen in the mid 70's, very successful band.

Roger: Can I go To Lunch Now?

Brian: No, You Can't...

---------------------------------------

Freddie: Oh Shit, All this crap again?!

"If I had to do it all over again, yes why not? why not
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 07, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Genesis's success was limited in the 1970s. It wasn't until they moved out of the prog rock scene and became more mainstream in the 1980s that they achieved worldwide success. It was Genesis, I believe, that sold out Wembley Stadium for 3 nights in 1986/1987(?) for their Invisible Touch Tour (whereas Queen "only" managed 2 nights). So, just as Queen were declining as an act (no tours after 1986, Freddie's death in 1991), Genesis reached its biggest levels.

Besides, Genesis spawned more side projects/solo success than Queen. Save for Freddie's solo efforts and Brian's Back to the Light success, it had little; Genesis, on the other hand, spawned Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, and Mike and the Mechanics, which all had big hits.

Just 2 paragraphs to say: apples and oranges, baby.

DJ's the man we love the most

Posted: 11 Apr 07, 11:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zeni wrote:

Genesis, on the other hand, spawned Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, and Mike and the Mechanics, which all had big hits.

Don't forget Ray Wilson.

Posted: 11 Apr 07, 11:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

Zeni wrote:

Genesis, on the other hand, spawned Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, and Mike and the Mechanics, which all had big hits.

Don't forget Ray Wilson.

Yeah, but isn't that a little like saying that Queen spawned Roger Taylor?

As much as I loved Calling All Stations, not sure I'd rank Ray's individual success (which I admit I'm not familiar with) in the same category as those other acts.

Posted: 11 Apr 07, 11:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zeni wrote:

Lester Burnham wrote:

Zeni wrote:

Don't forget Ray Wilson.

Yeah, but isn't that a little like saying that Queen spawned Roger Taylor?

As much as I loved Calling All Stations, not sure I'd rank Ray's individual success (which I admit I'm not familiar with) in the same category as those other acts.

I was kidding :-\

Posted: 11 Apr 07, 11:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ummmmmmm..... I knew that. Yep, sure did. Sarcasm can never escape me. Nope, not at all. I was in on it from the very beginning. Not getting one over on me. Nope, no siree.

Dammit. Make me look like a fool. I'll show you, Burnham.

redspecial85 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 141 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 07, 13:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only groups I know of that did are Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and The Stones. I love Pink Floyd, musically appreciate Led Zeppelin, and profoundly respect the Stones.

"Oh oh people of the earth

Listen to the warning the seer he said

For those who hear and mark my words

Listen to the good plan." -Brian May

(The Prophet's Song)
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 07, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dont try suicide wrote:

the 'incapables' you mention are:-
t-rex, roxy music, 10cc, genesis, yes, uriah heap, sweet, slade, deep purple, mott the hoople, sparks
t-rex - marc bolan died, with his band one of the biggest on the planet - are you stupid?
roxy music - bryan ferry still makes a good lving
genesis - probably much bigger than queen these days - hence their 2007 stadiumtour
sweet/slade were glam rock - no trend lasts forever, - and Noddy is still making a good crust - he's even acting - something queen never managed
deep purple - not a classic lineup (by any means) but making more money than queen these days

come back when you have checked your facts

go deo na h√Čireann
louvox user not visiting Queenzone.com
Make mine a double
louvox
Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 07, 13:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dont try suicide wrote:

anyway...

don't you think it's kinda funny how queen put every band out of business? t-rex, roxy music, 10cc, genesis, yes, uriah heap, sweet, slade, deep purple, mott the hoople, sparks; all were great bands that everyone thought would have great careers, but when queen hit the charts, those bands vanished without a trace. sure they tried to compete with queen, but they all failed.

what band from the late 60's and early 70's actually survived with a sucessful career after queen came into the scene?

Well maybe so, but Queen also lost their power in the 80's. They released a string of crappy albums from "Hot space through "The miracle". They pretty much became an after thought in The USA

Louis

A soul for sale or rent

www.tightroperocks.com

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 07, 14:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dont try suicide wrote:

anyway...

Slade had hits in the 70's, 80's and 90's and only stopped because Noddy Holder had enough of the touring life and packed it in. He then went on to do radio presenting and some acting work.

And you could hardly say that Queen put T rex out of business since Marc Bolan lead singer of said group, died as a result of a car accident.

Sweets' problem wasnt the result of Queen either, more Brian Connollys' drink habit, which eventually killed him, and was having a major affect on the bands own moral.

Deep Purple still tour and sell out venues these days as well, abeit smaller venues than that which they were used to.

So the argument that Queen put these bands out of business doesnt quite hold water. Sorry.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
FVBVA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 54 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 07, 15:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

queen has nothing to do with other bands,queen is queen,love it or leave it.put it on the first place or the bottom of the list.i put it in the first place,

Another queen fanatic user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 82 posts

Posted: 12 Apr 07, 06:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

didnt deep purple and release a half decent studio album recently... but queen + PR will be much better

bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 12 Apr 07, 07:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zeni wrote:

Genesis's success was limited in the 1970s. It wasn't until they moved out of the prog rock scene and became more mainstream in the 1980s that they achieved worldwide success. It was Genesis, I believe, that sold out Wembley Stadium for 3 nights in 1986/1987(?) for their Invisible Touch Tour (whereas Queen "only" managed 2 nights). So, just as Queen were declining as an act (no tours after 1986, Freddie's death in 1991), Genesis reached its biggest levels.

Besides, Genesis spawned more side projects/solo success than Queen. Save for Freddie's solo efforts and Brian's Back to the Light success, it had little; Genesis, on the other hand, spawned Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, and Mike and the Mechanics, which all had big hits.

Just 2 paragraphs to say: apples and oranges, baby.

They didn't "only manage" two nights. They only "managed to book" two nights.

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

Sweetie user not visiting Queenzone.com
shitbrick
Sweetie
Deity: 2835 posts

Posted: 12 Apr 07, 08:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen suck

Evil will always triumph 'cause good is dumb.