Forums > Personal > RIP Don Imus

forum rss feed
Author

goodco user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 371 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Apr 07, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sure he'll find a new home.

Amazing that individuals such as Bill O'Reilly and Ann Coulter can defend his 'freedom of speech'.

Some people still don't get it.

"Ladies and gentlemen... I guess that takes in most of you..." Groucho Marx, 'A Night at the Opera'

iron eagle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3793 posts

Posted: 12 Apr 07, 21:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i ,as you probably do, find it a bit hypocritical

that Imus is held to one standard and names like you mentioned--
and i can add a few-sharpton-jackson-mr greys anatomy thomas-gibson-phelps etc are not....

not to mention the many rappers that have said similar over the years-- i read somewhere that snoop said it was ok for them.....

i wonder if imus had rushed off to rehab would it have been such a big deal...

i am not condoning what he said at all (for those who will want to try and pin that on me)

but if the sky is blue for one-it must be blue for all..... and it aint

i got a way with the boys on my block.. :-)

Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 12 Apr 07, 22:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very well put, Mr. Eagle.

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 12 Apr 07, 22:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dan Corson V: Altered Beast wrote:

Very well put, Mr. Eagle.

ditto.

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 07, 07:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

goodco wrote:

Amazing that individuals such as Bill O'Reilly and Ann Coulter can defend his 'freedom of speech'.

Not amazing, because their idea of defending the First Ammendment applies only for Bush supporters and racists.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Haystacks Calhoun II user not visiting Queenzone.com
Haystacks Calhoun II
Bohemian: 930 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 07, 09:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

goodco wrote:

Not amazing, because their idea of defending the First Ammendment applies only for Bush supporters and racists.

The whole thing stinks to high heaven. One can only hope that, seeing a left winger like Imus take the fall in the PC world of 2007, that this can help to begin the end of the rampant PC movement.

People like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have enough skeletons in their closets of things that they have said and done in the past, and for the media to give them credence in this situation is, to me anyway, beyond absurd.

The punishment in this case did not fit the crime, IMO. CBS, simply put, was forced to give in to the pressure. But, when is enough enough? How far will the thought police go? Even people like Rosie O'Donnell are right in wondering how far this absurd movement will go.

One does wonder, though, if it had been a right wing talk show host who said that, would it have taken nearly a week to fire him? I think not.

It's funny, though, that the left wing took down one of their own in the manner that they did.

The Dem politicians have now lost of of their few national radio sounding boards.

Regardless on political affiliation, this situation stinks.

The Golden Gate Bridge should have a long bungee cord for people who aren’t quite ready to commit suicide but want to get in a little practice.
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 13 Apr 07, 10:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don Imus did indeed deserve to get fired, but not for this sole "nappy headed hoes" comment.

Imus had a long history of ethnically biased, homophobic and racist comments on air (for which he never apolologized), and that not counting that he has used much worse racist insult against staff members and other people who he regularly comes in contact with off the air.

I do agree that he's not the only one. For instance, comedians get away with a lot of this shit. However, it seems like once you cross the barrier into officially being called a "comedian", then you're safe.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 07, 11:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, I do have to pop in on this one, because this is such bullshit. First off, I am not a fan of Don Imus.

Don Imus is not that much different than Howard Stern, except Stern has crossed the line many more times and much more offensive than Imus.

What exactly is so offensive about "nappy-headed ho's"? The Ghetto Boys put out a song 15 years earlier called "Bald headed ho" and they never had any backlash, although a year later Bushwick Bill survived getting shot in the eye.

When the coach of the women's team came on the air, her hair was indeed "nappy". What is that weave-thing you call up there?

It's time for the Black man to step up and say that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton do not represent the entire Black community. Did they apologize to the Duke LaCrosse team? Yet they were both quick to pronounce them guilty at the time of the arrests.

Has Ice T apologized to cops for the song "Cop Killa"?

What about that movie "White Men Can't Jump?" I can jump, and am pastely white. Where's my apology from Wesley Snipes? I never made a movie called "Black Actor can't pay his taxes"... but it's in the works.

Don Imus' mistake was apologizing in the first place, which was forced upon him by the same people that just fired him. At last count, Imus has apologized 852 times.

He should have said:
"Folks, this is a comedy/news program.
Sometimes we say things that all people
don't agree with. I urge them to consult
the manual for their radios on how to
change the station."

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 07, 11:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

goodco wrote:

I'm sure he'll find a new home.

Dude is a radio cash cow. He's probably already got another job. And CBS is still trying to figure out why their still in the red and just fired one of their only profitable media guys.

Mr.Jingles

Posted: 13 Apr 07, 12:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

Don Imus' mistake was apologizing in the first place, which was forced upon him by the same people that just fired him. At last count, Imus has apologized 852 times.

I'm gonna have to agree with that.

I thought it was far worse when Ann Coulter called John Edwards a faggot, and she got away with it because she refused to apologize.

In some cases, people need some sort of "back-up" to get away with biased jokes. Comedians get away with racial jokes as long as they target everyone, but mostly their own race or ethnic group (Chris Rock and Carlos Mencia are a good example).
Howard Stern gets away with making jokes about blacks because Robin is always there to laugh her ass off.

Mr.Jingles

Posted: 13 Apr 07, 12:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

I think he's gotten away with that one since he now plays one on 'Law & Order SVU'.

user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 07, 15:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with Microwave.

But to clarify things, him being fired was likely not a punishment. I mean, that sounds like a stupid reason to fire anyone. It was because advertisers were withdrawing as to separate themselves from the incident.

What's a radio show without advertisement? That's right, nothing.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 07, 15:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=666600>Music Man wrote:

What's a radio show without advertisement?

NPR

DJ's the man we love the most
JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 07, 16:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zeni wrote:

What's a radio show without advertisement?

BBC

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 07, 16:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jason Whitlock was on several shows yesterday. I'd never heard of him before but I found myself agreeing with much of what he had to say. What sticks in my mind most about his interview was his comparison between Imus' slur and Rap lyrics. He said in this case, a jaywalker was given the death sentence while murderers are given no more than a slap on the wrist.

If you're interested, here's more of what he has to say on the subject -

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1815474/posts

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

sparrow 21754 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1947 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 07, 17:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

Oh, I do have to pop in on this one, because this is such bullshit. First off, I am not a fan of Don Imus.

Don Imus is not that much different than Howard Stern, except Stern has crossed the line many more times and much more offensive than Imus.

What exactly is so offensive about "nappy-headed ho's"? The Ghetto Boys put out a song 15 years earlier called "Bald headed ho" and they never had any backlash, although a year later Bushwick Bill survived getting shot in the eye.

When the coach of the women's team came on the air, her hair was indeed "nappy". What is that weave-thing you call up there?

It's time for the Black man to step up and say that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton do not represent the entire Black community. Did they apologize to the Duke LaCrosse team? Yet they were both quick to pronounce them guilty at the time of the arrests.

What about that movie "White Men Can't Jump?" I can jump, and am pastely white. Where's my apology from Wesley Snipes? I never made a movie called "Black Actor can't pay his taxes"... but it's in the works.

He should have said:
"Folks, this is a comedy/news program.
Sometimes we say things that all people
don't agree with. I urge them to consult
the manual for their radios on how to
change the station."

ya beat me to it.

i cant fucking stand double standards. either everyone can say racist thing, or noone. i prefere noone.

why pay the visit when the visit is free?

"this shitty guitar wont play what i want! it only knows three chords!"
AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 07, 17:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I knew he was going to get fired as soon as his sponsors started jumping ship. MusicMan is right. Don Imus is not a cash cow...he brings in the money from the sponsors. When they decide they don't want to sponsor him anymore, he isn't serving his purpose to bring in the money. So, once you have ceased serving your purpose, getting fired is the next step. That's reality. He'll be back up an running again, probably on Satellite radio.
As far as his comments go...it was not appropriate to say them. But I don't think it's appropriate for rappers or comedians to say them, either. That double standard has always bothered me. Why is it black people can get away with calling themselves the "N" word but when a non-black person says it...whoa boy. Watch the shit hit the fan. It's because of familiarity. You can diss your mom all you want, but when someone else disses your mom, it changes the context of the situation.
This is why I can't stand rap music. They make money saying things that are not only degrading, sexist, racist and homophobic, they make money saying things that anyone else would get prosecuted for. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton have said things that, if they were white, they would have gotten flogged for. Yet, they can get away with it. I think, if they want to claim that it needs to stop, then they should stop as well. Let's make it a fair stop for all, not a double-standard.
And BTW...this goes for all groups, not just African Americans. Latinos, Gays, Asians and Caucasians...they all say things to each other that any other group would be killed for. Wanna stop tolerating this behavior? Good. Then lets be fair about it and stop EVERYONE of EVERY GROUP from profiting from language like that. Don't like that idea? Then you better get used to the double standard.

Formerly MHG

Posted: 13 Apr 07, 17:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CMU HistoryGirl wrote:

I knew he was going to get fired as soon as his sponsors started jumping ship. MusicMan is right. Don Imus is not a cash cow...he brings in the money from the sponsors. When they decide they don't want to sponsor him anymore, he isn't serving his purpose to bring in the money. So, once you have ceased serving your purpose, getting fired is the next step. That's reality. He'll be back up an running again, probably on Satellite radio.
As far as his comments go...it was not appropriate to say them. But I don't think it's appropriate for rappers or comedians to say them, either. That double standard has always bothered me. Why is it black people can get away with calling themselves the "N" word but when a non-black person says it...whoa boy. Watch the shit hit the fan. It's because of familiarity. You can diss your mom all you want, but when someone else disses your mom, it changes the context of the situation.
This is why I can't stand rap music. They make money saying things that are not only degrading, sexist, racist and homophobic, they make money saying things that anyone else would get prosecuted for. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton have said things that, if they were white, they would have gotten flogged for. Yet, they can get away with it. I think, if they want to claim that it needs to stop, then they should stop as well. Let's make it a fair stop for all, not a double-standard.
And BTW...this goes for all groups, not just African Americans. Latinos, Gays, Asians and Caucasians...they all say things to each other that any other group would be killed for. Wanna stop tolerating this behavior? Good. Then lets be fair about it and stop EVERYONE of EVERY GROUP from profiting from language like that. Don't like that idea? Then you better get used to the double standard.

XD you basically ellaborated everything i said, well put!

user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 07, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sparrow wrote:

i cant fucking stand double standards. either everyone can say racist thing, or noone. i prefere noone.

Well, I think of it this way: everyone should be able to say it, but no one should say it. In that way, it's kind of like my opinion on drugs.

Here's a quote by Alan Kors, concerning censorship and "diversity measures" on public university campuses:

"What universities are saying by these codes, special protections, and double standards: to women, to blacks, to Hispanics, to gay and lesbian students is, 'You are too weak to live with freedom. You are too weak to live with the first amendment.' If someone tells you you are too weak to live with freedom, they have turned you into a child."

I agree 100%.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.

Posted: 14 Apr 07, 00:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sparrow wrote:

Well, I think of it this way: everyone should be able to say it, but no one should say it. In that way, it's kind of like my opinion on drugs.

Here's a quote by Alan Kors, concerning censorship and "diversity measures" on public university campuses:

"What universities are saying by these codes, special protections, and double standards: to women, to blacks, to Hispanics, to gay and lesbian students is, 'You are too weak to live with freedom. You are too weak to live with the first amendment.' If someone tells you you are too weak to live with freedom, they have turned you into a child."

I agree 100%.

that makes sense.

still doesnt change my opnion tho XD

inevitably, a level of it will always exist. the level could/should decrease to near-extinction preferably :P

that quote actually reminded me of a scott weiland article on drugs. it basically said if they made drugs legal, the rush [of illegality] would be gone, and there would still be the same amount of people if not less, without the thrill-seekers, and people would still be the same, there are addicts and then there are recreationists. alcohol is legal, but not everyone is a drunk or alcoholic.

anyway...