forum rss feed
Author

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Apr 07, 00:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not John's best. I find it forgettable.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 07, 00:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love the song...don't know the rules! Lol!

August R. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 561 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 07, 07:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This song seems to be almost totally ingonerd by fans, so this is actually a good choise for a song discussion. I actually like the song, though it's nothing spectacular. Not John's best but not his worst either. What a shame they didn't include it on the Live Killers. It would have raised the appreciation of the song among fans. I have a couple of live versions of this on bootlegs, and the song really found a new life when played live. Especially Brian seemed to have much fun with this one.

This song is also often compared to Need Your Loving Tonight, and I have to admit, there is some resemblance... (Well, they're both rockers by John's standards :) And yes, IYCBT is better, imo.

Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 07, 09:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This song was always so much better live. I haven't heard a bad version on any recording I have.

aboeklaas user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 07, 09:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've always liked it.

Dacoviac user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 21 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 07, 09:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A lot of songs with Queen were better live. Especially songs like If You Can't Beat Them and Need Your Loving Tonight, fast forward rockers you know. Perhaps they sounded too polished in the studio and needed the more raw live feel to be delivered the way they were supposed to.

Not boom da da... boom da daaa!
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 07, 10:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, I've always liked this one, too. It's great to sing and play along with as well. I can't remember hearing a live version. Does anyone have something to post? I'd be very interested in hearing it.

Adam.

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 07, 10:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think they were up their own anus when they recorded it.

lyricalassasin77 user not visiting Queenzone.com
lyricalassasin77
Bohemian: 435 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 07, 16:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In my opinion this in my top 10 Queen songs. It's a very underrated song and I do believe to be one of John's best....His best being "Need Your Loving Tonight"....It just has great guitar to it and its just one of those "feel good" kinda songs.....Great Song!

Dislocate your spine if you don't sign.....He say's I'll have you seeing double
Good_Company50 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 176 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 07, 17:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Enjoyable, though not one of my favorite John Deacon songs. Like it fine; think it is upbeat and fun to sing along with.

We're only living in our dreams in Another World -- Brian May
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 07, 20:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As soon as I listened through that live version, I broke out my RS and started playing along! There's something infectious about it. It's awoken something I've felt about the song. Glad to hear a live version. I've probably heard it before.

Thanks,
Adam.

louvox user not visiting Queenzone.com
Make mine a double
louvox
Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 07, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not a bad song. I agree I prefer the live version. Too bad they never played his other song from that album live "In only seven days"

Louis

A soul for sale or rent

www.tightroperocks.com

steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 07, 22:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That song has always annoyed me for some reason, it's just one of those basic rock songs that has no real originality. It's just an alright track that some how managed to creep its way onto the Jazz album. Hell, I never liked Jazz to begin with. The quality in sound and its overall effect is not what I would call "Queen quality." For heaven's sake, the drums sounded horrendous (and its not the drummer's fault...it's just the recording of it).

"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
Freddies Delilah user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 420 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 07, 23:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I find If You Can't Beat Them a very catcy song... and it's especially fun to sing along to. My sister and I always duet when we're in the kitchen :) It's definately not one of John's best, but it's a fun song.

Four old ladies, still rocking away :)
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 07, 00:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a fun song, but still my 3rd least favorite song on jazz. Only "fun it" and "more of that jazz" are worst. Jazz is underated, it has amazing moments, but still the most inconsistent album they did in the 70's.

louvox user not visiting Queenzone.com
Make mine a double
louvox
Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 07, 10:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=FF0033 face=symbol>Freddie wrote:

That song has always annoyed me for some reason, it's just one of those basic rock songs that has no real originality. It's just an alright track that some how managed to creep its way onto the Jazz album. Hell, I never liked Jazz to begin with. The quality in sound and its overall effect is not what I would call "Queen quality." For heaven's sake, the drums sounded horrendous (and its not the drummer's fault...it's just the recording of it).

I agree with you on the sound of that album. It sure doesn't sound like an album produced by Roy Thomas Baker. Doesn't seem to have his touch on it anywhere. It kind of sounds like they were simply going through the motions.

Louis

A soul for sale or rent

www.tightroperocks.com

Daniel Nester user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daniel Nester
Bohemian: 735 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 07, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, I think this song has a great energy to it. To me, it's a precursor to "Need Your Lovin'," and I love it when Brian lets loose on a John song. Something about how incongruous they are, being in the same band.

And -- didn't think about this -- it's one of the longest songs on the album!

God Save My Queen and God Save My Queen II | Soft Skull Press | http://www.danielnester.com
Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 07, 14:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like the ending when Brian cuts loose more than the song itself. Always found it to be heavily influenced by ELO's "Do 'ya."

You know, good times are now.
Daniel Nester user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daniel Nester
Bohemian: 735 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 07, 14:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, the end of that solo has the phaser pedal effect (I guess that's what you call it) that's so ELO.

As for the lyrics, who knows what goes on in Deaky's head?

God Save My Queen and God Save My Queen II | Soft Skull Press | http://www.danielnester.com