Forums > Personal > how to evade the smoking ban in pubs in England

forum rss feed
Author

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 07, 15:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

one of my local pubs,the peruvian arms, has petitioned the Peruvian embassy in London asking for a diplomatic status to become part of Peru.
If successful it will be able to carry on allowing smoking on the premises whilst the rest of England brings in the smoking ban in a few weeks time.
this cheekiness could only happen in Cornwall.thankfully.
pirates to the end :-]


isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 07, 19:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wish they'd do that here. Well actually I don't. The smoking ban's a good thing. I guess.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 07, 00:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hahaha... I am totally anti-smoking, but that's just hilarious. If you guys need a place to smoke and that's the only way, then go for it!



"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
Sweetie user not visiting Queenzone.com
shitbrick
Sweetie
Deity: 2835 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 07, 00:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Smoking's bad for you, it means you go all black inside and swell up like a balloon, my dad says that only bad people smoke

(Anyone else watch Black Books?)


Evil will always triumph 'cause good is dumb.
JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 07, 05:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i dont go in there all that often but a mate of mine does and says that they are now learning the peruvian national anthem just in case they need it to gain diplomatic status.they sing it at last orders.if i get a chance i shall pop in for a pint to see it for myself,i wonder if they play the anthem on panpipes?
you honestly could not make this up,its actually made it onto BBC tv news now yesterday.lol


isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 07, 15:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=009966>?Freya? wrote:

Wish they'd do that here. Well actually I don't. The smoking ban's a good thing. I guess.


A smoking ban in public places is good and right.

A smoking ban in a privately owned pub, restaurant, etc. is an abhorrent infringement of rights.


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 07, 15:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=666600>Music Man wrote:

<b><font color=009966>?Freya? wrote:

Wish they'd do that here. Well actually I don't. The smoking ban's a good thing. I guess.


A smoking ban in public places is good and right.

A smoking ban in a privately owned pub, restaurant, etc. is an abhorrent infringement of rights.

its going to kill the pub trade in my village.you cant even enjoy a smoke on the patio outside coz its still part of the premises.


isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 07, 16:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

joxerthemightypirate wrote:

its going to kill the pub trade in my village.you cant even enjoy a smoke on the patio outside coz its still part of the premises.


That's what everyone thought here in New York. It didn't happen. The transition from smoke filled restaurants and bars to smoke-free restaurants and bars went smoothly. I've been in the wedding business for a lot of years and caterers thought they'd receive a lot of heartache because of the no-smoking laws. They haven't. Even photographers - the venue I'm involved in - when Bridal Parties would come into the studio for their portraits, they'd be sitting there in a cloud of their own smoke. Smooth as can be it went from that to completely smoke-free.

There's always going to be the occasional argument, but for the most part, the switch was easy... and businesses that were here well before the ban are still here and thriving.


"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury



JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 07, 17:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

magicalfreddiemercury wrote:

joxerthemightypirate wrote:

its going to kill the pub trade in my village.you cant even enjoy a smoke on the patio outside coz its still part of the premises.


That's what everyone thought here in New York. It didn't happen. The transition from smoke filled restaurants and bars to smoke-free restaurants and bars went smoothly. I've been in the wedding business for a lot of years and caterers thought they'd receive a lot of heartache because of the no-smoking laws. They haven't. Even photographers - the venue I'm involved in - when Bridal Parties would come into the studio for their portraits, they'd be sitting there in a cloud of their own smoke. Smooth as can be it went from that to completely smoke-free.

There's always going to be the occasional argument, but for the most part, the switch was easy... and businesses that were here well before the ban are still here and thriving.

nice reply
theres only 3 pubs and 3 restaurants in the village.i live in a small cornish fishing port,so places like these are the hub of the local society.when the ban starts i honestly think that it will be hard for the businesses to survive because people are not going to go to these places during the winter months when the weather is bad knowing that if they want a amoke they are going to have to stand out in the street to have one.i feel the only business that will flourish will be the off licence which sells beer cheaper than the pub naturally but gives people the option of drinking at home knowing they can also enjoy a smoke in the dry as well.the local economy and jobs are going to suffer badly,and its bad enough now as we have to survive on tourism for a living which is a seasonal thing as it is.


isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 07, 18:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Regardless of whether or not it will hurt businesses is irrelevant. It's still morally reprehensible to dictate that a business cannot freely operate as they wish. It should be up to businesses to decide whether or not they should allow smoking, and no one else should have any power over this. What's next? No smoking in your own house?


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 07, 18:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=666600>Music Man wrote:

Regardless of whether or not it will hurt businesses is irrelevant. It's still morally reprehensible to dictate that a business cannot freely operate as they wish. It should be up to businesses to decide whether or not they should allow smoking, and no one else should have any power over this. What's next? No smoking in your own house?

its heading that way isn't it.
ironically i am still allowed to gamble on the fruit machines in a pub,even though gambling can lead to an addiction and i will be allowed to buy cigs whilst in the pub but not allowed to smoke them in it.
it should as you say,be up to the licencee to choose if they want smoking on their premises or not.


isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 07, 18:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Apparently when the smoking ban comes in, smoking will also be banned in cars, as it is in Scotland (or so I've heard) which doesn't make too much sense to me.

When does it come into place anyway? I know it's July, but is there a date yet?

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 07, 18:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=009966>?Freya? wrote:

Apparently when the smoking ban comes in, smoking will also be banned in cars, as it is in Scotland (or so I've heard) which doesn't make too much sense to me.

When does it come into place anyway? I know it's July, but is there a date yet?

July 1st i think?


isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 07, 18:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=009966>?Freya? wrote:

Apparently when the smoking ban comes in, smoking will also be banned in cars, as it is in Scotland (or so I've heard) which doesn't make too much sense to me.


Not sure about the laws in Scotland, but over here, they tossed around the idea of banning smoking in cars while children were present. Maybe if you're alone or with a 'consenting adult' it's okay?



"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury



Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 07, 18:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

joxerthemightypirate wrote:

<b><font color=009966>?Freya? wrote:

Apparently when the smoking ban comes in, smoking will also be banned in cars, as it is in Scotland (or so I've heard) which doesn't make too much sense to me.

When does it come into place anyway? I know it's July, but is there a date yet?

July 1st i think?

Right. Well on June 31st, actually the 30th, because to my knowledge, the 31st of June doesn't exist, I'm going into my local pub with many a packet of Marlboro lights and chain smoking them while crying into my pint and thinking about the proximity to the last Harry Potter books release date.

magicalfreddiemercury wrote:

<b><font color=009966>?Freya? wrote:

Apparently when the smoking ban comes in, smoking will also be banned in cars, as it is in Scotland (or so I've heard) which doesn't make too much sense to me.


Not sure about the laws in Scotland, but over here, they tossed around the idea of banning smoking in cars while children were present. Maybe if you're alone or with a 'consenting adult' it's okay?

From what I've heard they're actually going to put a complete ban on smoking in cars whether it's just the driver in the car or not. I'm not fully sure of the reasons

AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 07, 22:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haha! That's great!
Personally, I would love smoke free pubs and bars...that means you wouldn't have to fabreeze the hell out of your jacket and shower before you go to bed when you are out for the night.
Smokers will still smoke though...they'll just have to go out in the rain and snow and cold to do it! ;-)
And us non-smokers will laugh at them while they shiver so badly they can't get the cigarette to their lips


Formerly MHG
JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Apr 07, 06:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CMU HistoryGirl wrote:

Haha! That's great!
Personally, I would love smoke free pubs and bars...that means you wouldn't have to fabreeze the hell out of your jacket and shower before you go to bed when you are out for the night.
Smokers will still smoke though...they'll just have to go out in the rain and snow and cold to do it! ;-)
And us non-smokers will laugh at them while they shiver so badly they can't get the cigarette to their lips

i would sneeze in your hair if you did :-]


isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Apr 07, 08:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CMU HistoryGirl wrote:

Haha! That's great!
Personally, I would love smoke free pubs and bars...that means you wouldn't have to fabreeze the hell out of your jacket and shower before you go to bed when you are out for the night.
Smokers will still smoke though...they'll just have to go out in the rain and snow and cold to do it! ;-)
And us non-smokers will laugh at them while they shiver so badly they can't get the cigarette to their lips


This entire post made me laugh aloud. Love it. :-D


"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury



mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4631 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Apr 07, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In Scotland, the only vehicles you are not allowed to smoke in is buses, taxi's and trains - in other words public service vehicles. Privately owned cars is an entirely different matter.

One way that pubs and clubs get round the smoking ban is to set up smoking areas that are not enclosed. By that I mean they dont have 4 walls and a roof. Most of them have heating as well for those poor souls who have to suffer the cold all for the sake of a ciggy.


"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Apr 07, 14:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=red>Mr Mercury</font color> wrote:

In Scotland, the only vehicles you are not allowed to smoke in is buses, taxi's and trains - in other words public service vehicles. Privately owned cars is an entirely different matter.

One way that pubs and clubs get round the smoking ban is to set up smoking areas that are not enclosed. By that I mean they dont have 4 walls and a roof. Most of them have heating as well for those poor souls who have to suffer the cold all for the sake of a ciggy.


i dont think they are allowing smoking areas in England otherwise it wouldnt be so much of a gripe with the publicans and customers.i think its a total ban,i might be wrong though.maybe someone has more info here?


isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]