Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Freddie's voice change - period 90-91

forum rss feed
Author

Henry V user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Apr 07, 12:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

just been having a good listen to Innuendo and observed how very different Freddie's voice is in comparison to 1984/mid 80's years. Does anybody wish to give me some info on this?

many thanks

Marc

You done too much much too young

You're married with a kid when you could be having fun with me

Daniel Nester user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daniel Nester
Bohemian: 735 posts

Posted: 29 Apr 07, 13:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Innuendo is probably a bad place to start looking at how Freddie's voice changed over the years. A lot of those tracks are from his solo recordings, Heaven for Everyone is from The Cross sessions, and still others are from the mid-80s. It might be better to look at how his voice changes from Hot Space --> Works --> A Kind of Magic. To my ears, there's lots of changes in tenor and in range in that time period. Perhaps he smoked even more? Or drank? Some of it, I am sure, is natural as the body gets older.

God Save My Queen and God Save My Queen II | Soft Skull Press | http://www.danielnester.com
Katicas..(L) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 162 posts

Posted: 29 Apr 07, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love freddies voice. It just melts you.

Signature??

I cant write on this can i??
Last Cyborg user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 149 posts

Posted: 29 Apr 07, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Daniel Nester wrote:

I think Innuendo is probably a bad place to start looking at how Freddie's voice changed over the years. A lot of those tracks are from his solo recordings, Heaven for Everyone is from The Cross sessions, and still others are from the mid-80s

You're thinking of Made In Heaven not Innuendo..
Innuendo was all recorded in 1990/1991 AFAIK.

mattsmith user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 125 posts

Posted: 29 Apr 07, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Heaven for everyone was on Made in heaven, not Innuendo.
The difference in the way Freddie sings is actually quite big, even from the miracle, to innuendo which was a gap of about 18 months to 2 years.
I believe that his voice in the 90's went back to the way it was in the early to mid 70's, delivered with a soaring power and immense range.
Just my opinion though.

Matt.

Innuendo or Kashmir? Both awesome!
steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts

Posted: 29 Apr 07, 15:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Daniel Nester wrote:

I think Innuendo is probably a bad place to start looking at how Freddie's voice changed over the years. A lot of those tracks are from his solo recordings, Heaven for Everyone is from The Cross sessions, and still others are from the mid-80s. It might be better to look at how his voice changes from Hot Space --> Works --> A Kind of Magic. To my ears, there's lots of changes in tenor and in range in that time period. Perhaps he smoked even more? Or drank? Some of it, I am sure, is natural as the body gets older.

And you wrote two books about Queen?

On a side note, the period you're talking about, Marc, is at a time when Freddie was really pushing it and striving for the up most perfection. Every song he recorded at that time seemed to contain so much raw emotion and unrelenting power. The reason as to why he was probably progressing so fast is because he knew for a fact he didn't have much time until he'd die. He probably didn't want to fade away. Hence the saying : "It's better to burn out, than to fade away."

In my opinion, this is not only Freddie Mercury's finest moment, but Queen's as well. Innuendo was a beautiful way to end the career of one of rocks greatest legends.

"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
Kiki2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 22 posts

Posted: 29 Apr 07, 16:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe because he stopped drinking and smoking. In Innuendo, his voice looked more like the voice he had in the 70's...

Henry V user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 29 Apr 07, 17:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do prefer that mid-80's hard edge he had on his voice. I find his voice from the innuendo sessions - fantastic range and all - but a little nasal. truly an amazing singner

You done too much much too young

You're married with a kid when you could be having fun with me

saltnvinegar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 312 posts

Posted: 29 Apr 07, 19:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Henry V wrote:

I do prefer that mid-80's hard edge he had on his voice. I find his voice from the innuendo sessions - fantastic range and all - but a little nasal. truly an amazing singner

I agree, was just about to use the description 'nasal' too. I think some of his later vocals sound more like his regular speaking voice than his earlier 80's 'rock' voice. Don't get me wrong, the trademarks are all still there but I think if he'd sung a track like 'Innuendo' in the mid-80's, some of those notes like 'till the END of time' would have had more of a lower growl to them like he belted out during the Magic gigs.

marcenciels user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 194 posts

Posted: 29 Apr 07, 22:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hummmm...he had stop smoking, no choice and dringking was out !...lost's of factors changed his voice ... lost weight fast after the miracle, and you can hear the difference for innuendo, that you get on a few songs on made in heaven.

in the end, he gave all that he could, by perfecting to the max and a good dose desperation.

to add, this odd feeling i've had for year's...maybe i'm totally wrong, but when freddie died...i always believed it would have been the last time he would of toured.

Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 29 Apr 07, 23:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

marcenciels wrote:

maybe i'm totally wrong, but when freddie died...i always believed it would have been the last time he would of toured.

No, I agree. I too believe that when Freddie died, he would probably quit touring. Maybe a few local shows.... but he wouldn't feel up to a big tour. No way.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 07, 02:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think everyone here could writte a book about queen

:)
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 07, 04:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Probably had to do with sucking less cock than in the 80's.

saltnvinegar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 312 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 07, 04:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pim Derks wrote:

Sometimes I really wish he'd been straight cos then people would focus on what mattered like his voice and the music rather than obsessing over his sex life.

Bob-Plant user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 07, 08:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

marcenciels wrote:

hummmm...he had stop smoking, no choice and dringking was out !...lost's of factors changed his voice ... lost weight fast after the miracle, and you can hear the difference for innuendo, that you get on a few songs on made in heaven.

I could have sworn that Brian spoke of Freddie, during the last sessions, "propping himself up, taking a drink of vodka and singing for as long as he could". I could be wrong about this, but my guess is he cut way back on alcohol, but not completely. Eliminating smoking and cocaine, as well as an over-all healthier lifestyle were probably the main reasons his voice returned to more of what it was in the 70's.

"The things you have to do for money..."
Richy Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 320 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 07, 09:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pim Derks wrote:

I love it!!

Armando Alejandro Estrada user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 92 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 07, 09:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pim Derks wrote:

I'm speechless. Moron.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 07, 13:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If I spent enough money on gear and hired a really good engineer, these days I could sound like Freddie Mercury.

I don't think he got any better or worse. The technology did. Plus that was a lot of head voice singing. He didn't do that much in the 80s.

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 07, 13:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you, thank you!

* takes a bow

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 07, 15:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

marcenciels wrote:

in the end, he gave all that he could, by perfecting to the max and a good dose desperation.

to add, this odd feeling i've had for year's...maybe i'm totally wrong, but when freddie died...i always believed it would have been the last time he would of toured.

Didn't Brian May say Freddie would down a vodka or something before doing lines for the Innuendo album and perhaps some stuff on Made In Heaven?

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"