Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Brian's Bad Memory

forum rss feed
Author

drwinston user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 153 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 May 07, 10:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

From the news section:

May, who is not a fan of reality TV talent contests, adds, "It's actually an appalling lowering of standards, this whole TV-dominated culture. I promise you will never find us on some panel bullying and ridiculing young performers. "I personally detest that kind of thing, and I think it's a shame that the public puts up with it.

Errr.. Someone may want to remind him that they were on American Idol last year. Acting like your above it all is difficult when you've been in the thick of it. Getting old is a bitch, isn't it Brian?

rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts

Posted: 07 May 07, 10:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

shut up.

gnomo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 743 posts

Posted: 07 May 07, 10:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

... if YOUR memory serves you right, you should remember they weren't on the panel: they were coaching the contestants, actually, not evaluating them, so I just can't see why you see a contradiction there...

--

Gnomo

(... any way the wind blows ...)
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 07 May 07, 11:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think that's part of his connexion with Bavaria.

At AI he was being clever enough to take advantage of the promotion that'd represent for him; in this recent case, he was expressing his honest opinion (which I happen to share, btw).

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts

Posted: 07 May 07, 12:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe he even stated at the time, and well before that he wasn't fond of the whole reality TV thing, but they were asked to help out some young performers so they obliged.. then they made him look grumpy so he's probably remembering that as well.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 07 May 07, 12:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can I add sound effects to this?

unfunny bunny wrote:

I believe he even stated at the time, and well before that he wasn't fond of the whole reality TV thing, but they were (CHA-CHING!) asked to help (CHA-CHING!) out some (CHA-CHING!) young performers (CHA-CHING!)so they (CHA-CHING!)obliged..

Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts

Posted: 07 May 07, 13:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

drwinston wrote:

From the news section:

May, who is not a fan of reality TV talent contests, adds, "It's actually an appalling lowering of standards, this whole TV-dominated culture. I promise you will never find us on some panel bullying and ridiculing young performers. "I personally detest that kind of thing, and I think it's a shame that the public puts up with it.

Errr.. Someone may want to remind him that they were on American Idol last year. Acting like your above it all is difficult when you've been in the thick of it. Getting old is a bitch, isn't it Brian?

fuck u

:)
ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 07 May 07, 14:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

I don't think that's part of his connexion with Bavaria.

At AI he was being clever enough to take advantage of the promotion that'd represent for him; in this recent case, he was expressing his honest opinion (which I happen to share, btw).

I share it too. This is essentially what TV like this represents:

You want to make it big
We have the means to do it
You will try
We will Mock You
You will leave disappointed

How is *THAT* entertainment? From Plop Idol to Dragon's Den...since when did demeaning people's personal ambitions become such salaciously indecent television?

Go Brian.

"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."

Posted: 07 May 07, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh for God's sake, I'm as big a Queen - and Brian - fan as anyone here. But his "holier than thou" statement is pretty funny. His "I promise you'll never see us on a panel blah blah blah..." is pretty funny considering he was on a show setting people up to appear before the panel. I'm glad Brian supposedly feels this way, but a year ago he sure seemed to be all in favor of American Idol. I thought it was funny and a bout of old age, but the stepfords have to curse me for saying anything disparaging (Adolfo, you'll need to go look that word up) about their Hero.

Hey Adolfo, it's a shame you exhausted your complete vocabulary (you'll have to look that word up as well) in your response. Otherwise you could participated further in the discussion.

Legy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 433 posts

Posted: 07 May 07, 14:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If my memory serves me right, Brian regreted being on American Idol last year.

masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 07 May 07, 15:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian was not in a panel... he was onstage somewhere in USA helping the kids to rehearse the songs.

Idiot.

P.

Queen rocks!

Posted: 07 May 07, 15:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

masterstroke_84 wrote:

Brian was not in a panel... he was onstage somewhere in USA helping the kids to rehearse the songs.

Idiot.

P.

Nowhere did anyone say he was on a panel. Read the post. Learn to comprehend English. A triple digit IQ would also be beneficial, but I understand you are at disadvantage in that department.

Posted: 07 May 07, 15:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

artemismoon wrote:

If my memory serves me right, Brian regreted being on American Idol last year.

I seem to remember something like that too, which is understandable. It's possible that he may not have known what they were getting into. It just seems from his quote that he has completely forgotten that they participated in it at all. Or maybe his disdain for shows of that ilk is due to his experience.

masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 07 May 07, 15:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I repeat, the participation in American Idol have NOTHING to do with this situation that a tv channel offered to Brian. He wasn`t judging the kids... he was just talking with them and playing... the show was about Queen´s music so they appeared on the show. Do u understand that?

Queen rocks!

Posted: 07 May 07, 15:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

masterstroke_84 wrote:

I repeat, the participation in American Idol have NOTHING to do with this situation that a tv channel offered to Brian. He wasn`t judging the kids... he was just talking with them and playing... the show was about Queen´s music so they appeared on the show. Do u understand that?

Sure, I understand that American Idol is a show where contestants stand before a panel of judges. Have you seen it? Simon Cowell is famous for belittling people, just as Brian alluded to in his quote. I realize that Brian wasn't on the panel, but did he not participate on the show knowing how it works? He's a smart man - give him some credit.

Look, Brian seems to be a great guy with a good heart, and its very possible that he wasn't aware of what went on AI when he participated. But the fact is that he did participate, whether he was on the panel or not. Not a big deal, but for him to put himself above such proceedings is odd considering his involvement in the past. I seriously think he forgot about it. It's not like it was the pinacle of his career or anything!

Peace

goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 07 May 07, 16:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think his current attitude is A RESULT of being on American Idol last year.

(Though he should have had the same attitude before that IMHO and never supported such trash to begin with.)

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
coops user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 07 May 07, 16:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

gnomo wrote:

... if YOUR memory serves you right, you should remember they weren't on the panel: they were coaching the contestants, actually, not evaluating them, so I just can't see why you see a contradiction there...

U.S. promoter " Brian, do you want to appear on American Idol"?
Brian. " no, it's an appaling show. I will not lower myself or have anything to do with a show like that".
Promoter " well, the tour is not going as well as we would likeand we have lots of tickets to sell. It will be good publicity".
Brian, " I like Simon Cowell. When do we do the show"?

I seem to remember Brian recently talking highly of Arther C. Clark. Isn't he a convicted child molestor?

Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts

Posted: 07 May 07, 17:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

drwinston wrote:

Oh for God's sake, I'm as big a Queen - and Brian - fan as anyone here. But his "holier than thou" statement is pretty funny. His "I promise you'll never see us on a panel blah blah blah..." is pretty funny considering he was on a show setting people up to appear before the panel. I'm glad Brian supposedly feels this way, but a year ago he sure seemed to be all in favor of American Idol. I thought it was funny and a bout of old age, but the stepfords have to curse me for saying anything disparaging (Adolfo, you'll need to go look that word up) about their Hero.

Hey Adolfo, it's a shame you exhausted your complete vocabulary (you'll have to look that word up as well) in your response. Otherwise you could participated further in the discussion.

Fuck you

:)
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 07 May 07, 17:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I seem to remember Brian recently talking highly of Arther C. Clark. Isn't he a convicted child molestor?

Afaik, accusations were dismissed. And even if they were true, it doesn't mean his work can't be good. For instance, Michel Jackson's a paedophile and I hate him for that, but I love his music and the way he sang and danced.

Still, if we want to speak about Brian's "excellent" taste, remember when he said that Beyoncé is a goddess?

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 07 May 07, 17:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

People let's get real here. The participation in American Idol was hypocritical by Brian. End of story. He used it as a means to expose the musical and the tour and anyone who believes otherwise is naive. Brian had spoken out against these reality shows well before last year (Mig from WWRY was a finalist for the INXS show and Brian spoke out on that in September 2005, a full 6 months before the were on AI.) To appear on AI and pretending not to know what it was all about is a stretch that defies comprehension. Remember, Roger and Brian were particularly bitter about The Sun and Rupert Murdoch hounding Freddie in the months leading up to his death. But when it came time to promote the musical in London, which paper did they go to? The Sun!!! Disgraceful, but the apologists will cut Brian slack on everything and anything. Separate Brian the musician from Brian the businessman.

You know, good times are now.