Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Can you sing Queen songs? And do you sound somewhat like Freddie?

forum rss feed
Author

SomebodyWhoLoves user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 842 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 May 07, 20:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anyone do this? Besides me?

Posted: 12 May 07, 20:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DavidRFuller wrote:

Gawd no!

Why do you say that?

DavidRFuller user not visiting Queenzone.com
DavidRFuller
Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 12 May 07, 20:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gawd no!

Sweetie user not visiting Queenzone.com
shitbrick
Sweetie
Deity: 2835 posts

Posted: 12 May 07, 20:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I could be great if I put my mind to it

Evil will always triumph 'cause good is dumb.

Posted: 12 May 07, 21:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well the point isn't whether you are great or not. The point is, do Queen fans love the songs so much that they try to sing the songs, and even get quite good at singing them?

I wonder how many Queen fans actually try to sing the songs.

shitbrick
Sweetie

Posted: 12 May 07, 21:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SomebodyWhoLoves wrote:

Well the point isn't whether you are great or not. The point is, do Queen fans love the songs so much that they try to sing the songs, and even get quite good at singing them?

I wonder how many Queen fans actually try to sing the songs.

my mummy, Jaylena, Tommy and me try to sing them, whether we sound like Fred I don't know - I never listen

Vincent. user not visiting Queenzone.com
What?
Vincent.
Deity: 2553 posts

Posted: 12 May 07, 23:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can sing like Johnny Cash. I don't know about Freddie, though.

DavidRFuller user not visiting Queenzone.com
DavidRFuller
Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 12 May 07, 23:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SomebodyWhoLoves wrote:

DavidRFuller wrote:

Gawd no!

Why do you say that?

Terrible singer is all...:)

beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 12 May 07, 23:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If I lighten up my voice and tone down the vibrato, I can actually sing some of the earlier, lighter stuff - "ballads" - halfway decently. With my "classically trained voice," I sound way ridiculous on anything else. (I still try, but eeeeek). No, I don't sound like Freddie!!!

Anyway, the ones that work well:

Dear Friends
Love of My Life
You Take My Breath Away
Melancholy Blues
Dreamer's Ball (not a "ballad," exactly, but still, I can do okay on it).

And, I sing a mean "Exercises in Free Love." (Which isn't exactly Queen ...but maybe close enough).

(I'm a mezzo-soprano).

Hmm. Now that I've gone off on Not Queen, "Another World" is okay for me, too. Also "Why Don't We Try Again."

I'll shut up now.

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash

Posted: 12 May 07, 23:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Like Freddie, I do have a 3.5 octave range voice. I have the same "type" of light timbre voice as Freddie had in the 70s, but tonal wise, not exactly the same. Not entirely dissimiliar, but not 100% simliar either. So depending on the song, I can have some really good or really bad results.

I can sing these songs pretty well:

-Love of my life. I really do this well, sound a lot like Freddie. Don't know why. At my age, I am still young that my voice sounds like a young Freddie. So I have that sharp high pitch sound as I go up that sometimes sounds squeaky. Maybe when I grow older, my voice will deepen but I don't smoke so maybe not.

-Under Pressure. Don't know why but the Dee Doh Doh I sound a lot like Freddie there.

-Save Me. One of my favorite songs to sing. I do love singing this song. I don't have a Karaoke file so I have to sing this in an actual Karaoke. But when I do, I usually do a great job.

-Spread your Wings. I just found a Karaoke file for this song, and practiced it. I find this song suits my voice too. I love the first line. Sammy was low, just watching the show. Over and over again. Knew it was time, he made up his mind to leave his dead life behind..I love the lyrics. I think John Deacon wrote this song. brilliant.

-Too Late. I sing this song well too. I think my voice right now matches Freddie's voice during this era of his voice. So when he screeches, I find my voice also screeches. Our range matches really well.

Songs I can't sing well:

-These are the Days of our Lives. For some reason, I can't sing this one. I just sound so bad with this. I think it's because in this song, Freddie sounds so "gay". I can't do that "gay" voice, and I reall dont' try to do it either.

-The Show Must Go On. Again, this song is out of my reach. I don't have quite the range or power. I think Freddie's voice in the 80s and 90s grew more powerful so I find this song to be really hard. I can reach the notes but I end up shouting.

-Who Wants To Live Forever. Can't do this. I don't have that power that Freddie had in the 80s. His voice is so deep with this song, while my voice sounds more screechy. Another piece of evidence that Freddie in the 80s had a more powerful full voice.

There's more, but I can't remember.

Oh, I also do a really good Phil Collins Against All Odds. My voice matches that song very well. I admit when I was feeling sad over the break up, I sang this song many many times. It's such a great song. Love it!

I love singing. :)

shitbrick
Sweetie

Posted: 12 May 07, 23:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I sing like Lexie

lillian user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 322 posts

Posted: 13 May 07, 02:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i used to sing queen songs,but no i never sounded like freddie lol.

Another queen fanatic user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 82 posts

Posted: 13 May 07, 03:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love to sing flash as I can hit those high ah-ahs, I did at school and people were very impressed. I usually sing to the songs anytime when no-ones about, there are no embarrising repercussions that way. Any songs sung by Brian are very easy to sing btw.

inmydefence user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 200 posts

Posted: 13 May 07, 05:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

err yes! and.... i leave that second question for other people to decide. i personally think whenever i here myself sing (on a recording or something) that i sound like me. but people have said to me after Mayqueen concerts that i sound so much like freddie. I can match Freddie's in that i also have a 3.5 octave range.
i think how much you sound like freddie depends on how far your willing to go to sound as similar as possible, freddie used to smoke for a gruff texture to his voice which also means your voice will eventually tire and your range decreases, like live at wembley! i personally find i it better not to drink smoke and abuse my voice, i wanna avoid the whole throat noddule thing. people are usually happy to hear a singer that can keep with freddies range nevermind sound exactly the same.

Freddies Delilah user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 420 posts

Posted: 13 May 07, 05:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can I sing Queen songs? Yes.
Can I sing Queen songs well? I have no idea.

I mean, anyone can sing, can't they? Whether they can sing well or not is a different question. But I'm a very sing-y person - I'll walk around the house singing any random song that's stuck in my head, but my main 'shower songs' are Queen songs. After all, there's at least one for every occasion.

PS. The reason I don't know if I sing well is that I'm too afraid to record myself and find out. However, I like to think I'm good at singing.

Four old ladies, still rocking away :)
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 13 May 07, 06:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can do a fairly good Lennon impression

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 13 May 07, 08:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can sing Flick of the Wrist, Teo Torriatte, Spread Your Wings, I Want To Break Free and a few others really well. I'm a tenor, 4 octaves. I've got a nice falsetto if I say so myself but I wouldn't say I sing Queen songs in any extraordinary way, not even close to Freddie.

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
you_rock_my_socks06 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 287 posts

Posted: 13 May 07, 09:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I sound exactly like Freddie that is when he is hungover, got a sore throat and a blocked up nose. :)

eenaweena. user not visiting Queenzone.com
eenaweena.
Deity: 2355 posts

Posted: 13 May 07, 11:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i sound like freddie... if i'm alone singing in my room when no one's watching. ;)

david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2020 posts

Posted: 13 May 07, 13:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i sing queen songs in the form of hilda ogden