Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen on Fire, Terrible Gig...

forum rss feed
Author

steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 May 07, 18:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What you are about to read is something that was not written by me. I found this to be interesting and wonder what you all think of it.

"Terrible Gig

It seems that Queen have released a "new" live CD and DVD called Queen on Fire. It's not really new as it's a recording of a 1982 concert at the Milton Keynes Bowl.

I've only ever seen Queen live once. And it was at this concert. I'm sure I'd already made up my mind that I didn't like Queen much so I don't really know what I was doing there but anyway this was the day that I became certain that I had no future as a Queen fan.

They were terrible. It was the Hot Spaces tour. And you'd have to go a long way to find a Queen fan that didn't think that was their worst album by some considerable distance. And the show was full of songs from it.

Three things stand out in my memory.

* Brian May played the guitar solo from "Brighton Rock". They didn't do the whole song, just the guitar solo. And he running all over over scaffolding around the stage. Until his guitar lead feel out and he went silent. A sheepish roadie scurried after him and plugged him in again and he carried on. But the moment was lost.

* Queen never played the whole of "Bohemian Rhapsody" live. They always left the operatic section to tapes and videos. You'd think that after doing it for five years they would have got the timing pretty well sorted. But on that night they screwed it up massively. They came back in just a split second too late and it sounded terrible.

* One of the singles from Hot Spaces was "Under Pressure". So they were pretty much expected to do it live. But trying to do it without David Bowie was always going to be a challenge. Unfortunately they went ahead and did it anyway. Disasterously. That may well be the single biggest reason why I now hate listening to Queen.

I'm sure that all of these fluffs will have been patched up on this new release. And I'm sure that the Queen fans will love it. But it can only remind me of one of the worst gigs I've ever seen."

-Credited to this blog/website : http://blog.dave.org.uk/archives/000485.html

"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
saltnvinegar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 312 posts

Posted: 13 May 07, 18:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=FF0033 face=symbol>Freddie wrote:

I've only ever seen Queen live once. And it was at this concert. I'm sure I'd already made up my mind that I didn't like Queen much so I don't really know what I was doing there but anyway this was the day that I became certain that I had no future as a Queen fan.

He said it all there. He was pretty much a Queen hater already and went to the gig to prove himself right. A quick look at his blog suggests he's a frustrated writer who never hit the big time and dreams of being taken on by the Guardian as a political correspondant...dream on dave. In his 'review' he keeps referring to the tour and album as 'Hot SpaceS' a good journalist would check their details first...
He criticises Brian's problem with a guitar lead-so what, it happens. He then moves on to 'bad-timing' during BoRhap, it was *their* song, let them time it how they want. Finally, he didn't like Under Pressure because Bowie wasn't on it. I wonder if he doesn't like Bowie doing it now because Queen aren't there? Silly little man.

Richy Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 320 posts

Posted: 13 May 07, 21:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

saltnvinegar wrote:

<font color=FF0033 face=symbol>Freddie wrote:

He said it all there. He was pretty much a Queen hater already and went to the gig to prove himself right. A quick look at his blog suggests he's a frustrated writer who never hit the big time and dreams of being taken on by the Guardian as a political correspondant...dream on dave. In his 'review' he keeps referring to the tour and album as 'Hot SpaceS' a good journalist would check their details first...
He criticises Brian's problem with a guitar lead-so what, it happens. He then moves on to 'bad-timing' during BoRhap, it was *their* song, let them time it how they want. Finally, he didn't like Under Pressure because Bowie wasn't on it. I wonder if he doesn't like Bowie doing it now because Queen aren't there? Silly little man.

Good points there. Well-said, especially your last sentence.

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 13 May 07, 23:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks THAT hot space gig is crap is talking out of their ass! The Hot Space album may have disappointed fans, but the gigs were some of the best they'd ever done and the songs really worked live.

Adam.

goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 13 May 07, 23:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He doesn't really give many reasons to hate the gig rather than a minor technical flub with Brian, a slight timing error on Bo Rhap and I thought Under Pressure usually sounded pretty good when they did it without Bowie. He never gave a reason why it was such a bad gig.

(I have noticed that timing problem on Bo Rhap though...it's where Roger's live drums start but overlap with the drums on the recording, I am surprised they never made that sound better. Maybe Roger didn't want to try to play along identically with a tape though.)

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
Madman007 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 119 posts

Posted: 14 May 07, 04:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They guy went to the concert not liking Queen... so he wasn't going to have a good time and that's why he gives dumb reasons to why the show was "bad". Well, sir, so is your face!

"The bigger the better... in everything" - Freddie
nationofhaircuts44 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts

Posted: 14 May 07, 05:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did he REALLY notice the Bho Rhap timing error at the gig, or has he just been endlessly watching the dvd looking for flaws to try to back up his other criticisms? If those are the only reasons for slamming a gig, then presumably when this guy wins the lottery he will complain about the quality of the writing on the cheque.

lyricalassasin77 user not visiting Queenzone.com
lyricalassasin77
Bohemian: 435 posts

Posted: 14 May 07, 10:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah this guy is talkin out his ass for sure. Salt N Vinegar put it all in perspective. I own the DvD and have never noticed any time lapse in "BO RAP" and sorry dude maybe you expected them to take David Bowie on every tour with them so he could perform his one song with them. I've always thought Freddie more than handles his own taking that song on all to himself.

Dislocate your spine if you don't sign.....He say's I'll have you seeing double
myatt08 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 42 posts

Posted: 14 May 07, 13:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

what a wanker

mr bad guy 5656 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 143 posts

Posted: 14 May 07, 16:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yes indeed, what a silly wanker.
on that occasion, the band played 'under pressure' in a superb way.

YOU STRAPONCOCK BURN IN HELL YOU FUCKING SHEMALE
SAYING NASTY THINGS ABOUT QUEEN AND FREDDIE IS NOT DONE YOU DILDO

thank you,
now i'm fine

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 14 May 07, 16:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let me get this straight.

1. This guy only saw Queen once

2. He paid $0, since the concert was free (Oops, my bad, guess it wasn't)
But I bet this guy won the ticket off the radio or something...

I would much rather he go ahead and support another band, like maybe Guns & Roses. I know both times I saw them (in Reno w/ Brian May) (next night in Sacramento w/ Brian May) they played a total of 45 minutes and just floored me with the oodles of talent that was spilling over the stage onto the mosh pit.

Think I'll go to the used record store and trade all my Queen CDs for some Megadeth CDs or something...

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 15 May 07, 06:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Microwave - the Milton Keynes concert was NOT free.

Anyway, I really HATE Hot Space but the live concerts were a different league. Milton Keynes rocks. (If only the stage could look better...)

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 15 May 07, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, my mistake.

See my opinion on Hot Space, maybe you'll give it another spin:
http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=996277

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 15 May 07, 17:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i was at MK in 82...and althought the gig was good...i didn't enjoy it as much as i did the other four times i saw them

79 (crazy tour) was excellent
84 (nec) was great
and wembley and knebworth (86) were fantastic

MK has always for me lacked one thing (it didnt feel like a traditional queen audience...so the participation was erratic....the interraction with the audience was miss as often as hit...and i think it did have a lot to do with the HS tracks...and the "apology" before "staying power"

go deo na hÉireann
stateside fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 632 posts

Posted: 15 May 07, 23:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sounds like GB to me.

john pistlli
goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 16 May 07, 00:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

i was at MK in 82...and althought the gig was good...i didn't enjoy it as much as i did the other four times i saw them

79 (crazy tour) was excellent
84 (nec) was great
and wembley and knebworth (86) were fantastic

MK has always for me lacked one thing (it didnt feel like a traditional queen audience...so the participation was erratic....the interraction with the audience was miss as often as hit...and i think it did have a lot to do with the HS tracks...and the "apology" before "staying power"

It's weird...these things often don't translate to video/film with the same "mood" everyone at the show felt. For me, MK seems a superior set in terms of songs and energy than Wembley on DVD, but it seems people's recollections from actually being there are different. Brian said they didn't think they did themselves justice at MK until seeing the video, and maybe they didn't in terms of how everyone felt that day but it just ends up coming across great on TV because of how it was shot....

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
thunderbolt 31742 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thunderbolt 31742
Bohemian: 647 posts

Posted: 17 May 07, 16:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've watched the MK DVD a dozen or so times, and hadn't noticed the BoRhap timing error until this thread pointed it out. That alone makes me suspect the guy writing the review had it pointed out to him, either in the crowd (doubtful) or while watching the DVD (more likely).

I had heard that MK looks a lot better on DVD than it actually was, but I still think the performance and setlist were better than Wembley. Of course, I believe pretty firmly than the Magic Tour had the worst setlists Queen ever gave us, and Freddie was clearly tired by the time he got to Wembley from the rest of the tour, so neither is a difficult achievement.

I still want to see a proper DVD of Argentina '81. Just based on the bootleg video, I think it could well prove to be the penultimate Queen show.

"Do you think I should keep this mustache? Did you say no? F--- off."
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts

Posted: 17 May 07, 16:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thunderbolt<br><h6>Courtesy of God wrote:

I still want to see a proper DVD of Argentina '81. Just based on the bootleg video, I think it could well prove to be the penultimate Queen show.

Penultimate? I think you chose the wrong word, as it means second-last.. :)

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
thunderbolt 31742 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thunderbolt 31742
Bohemian: 647 posts

Posted: 17 May 07, 23:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

Thunderbolt<br><h6>Courtesy of God wrote:

Penultimate? I think you chose the wrong word, as it means second-last.. :)

I'm going to stop using big words on three hours of sleep. ;)

"Do you think I should keep this mustache? Did you say no? F--- off."
Darren1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 266 posts

Posted: 18 May 07, 03:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought the bands live version of staying power was brilliant.The DVD production itself was very good.Hot Space in my opinion was a far better album than The Game