of queen’s album hot space from 1982.
what do you think of this?
with the dutch number 1 under pressure.
it includes the other singles..
body language
back chat
las palabras de amor
calling all girls,1983

these are the other hot space album tracks.
life is real
staying power
dancer (would be better as an single)
action this day
put out the fire
cool cat

this is not my kind of queen sound.
i’d rather hear queen2 or the miracle.
i notice this album because it has
been released 25 years ago.

greetings to you all

hello all you rock ’n’ rollers

it’s enourrrrrmous out here

it’s frightning i tell you

soooooooo beautiful.

queen live at KNEBWORTH PARK MAGIC ’86
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 May 07, 12:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It wasn't only a Dutch number one...it reached number 1in the UK too you know.

I think it's an ok album with some strong moments.

Killed by drones.
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 16 May 07, 13:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How come no love for Hot Space?

Even on Live At The Bowl on the main menu
if you press up arrow, up arrow, left arrow, and select it will play the concert with all of the Hot Space tracks removed.

Apparently QPL didn't like it either.

Spud user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 293 posts

Posted: 16 May 07, 14:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've recently had a complete change of opinion of Hot Space. I used to think it was a load of rubbish and an embarrassing moment in Queen's back catalogue, redeemed only by Under Pressure. When I bought Live at the Bowl, I used to skip past the Hot Space tracks.

However for completeness' sake I decided to replace my copy of Hot Space on cassette and buy the CD. I decided to give it another go. The passing of the years had clearly done something, it seemed like a brand new album to me - I now love it. Particular favourites being Staying Power, Dancer, Action, Put out the Fire and Life is real.

I reckon it's a cracker far superior to The Miracle, my new favourite whipping boy!

'Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, maybe happy.'
bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 16 May 07, 14:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally I think a Making of Hot Space DVD to mark the 25 year anniversary would be great.

goodco user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 371 posts

Posted: 16 May 07, 14:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=maroon>bitesthedust wrote:

Personally I think a Making of Hot Space DVD to mark the 25 year anniversary would be great.

Good one!!!! :-))))

"Ladies and gentlemen... I guess that takes in most of you..." Groucho Marx, 'A Night at the Opera'

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 16 May 07, 15:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

goodco wrote:

Good one!!!! :-))))

cmsdrums user is on Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 16 May 07, 16:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That would be good - just Freddie with his finger on the button of a drum machine, and Roger sitting in the corner looking bored!!!!

goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 16 May 07, 19:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let's have the Glimmer or Torpedo Twins or whoever make some music videos out of free black-and-white public domain footage :)

No actually I don't mind that album...I had no idea about the DVD Easter Egg removal though!

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
Joeker user not visiting Queenzone.com
Joeker
Bohemian: 753 posts

Posted: 16 May 07, 19:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

people give this album alot of heat, it may not be the queen sound we know and love, but there are some decent songs on this album...

life is real
under pressure
las palabras de amor
put out the fire

its really not that bad really.

Roger: Can I go To Lunch Now?

Brian: No, You Can't...

---------------------------------------

Freddie: Oh Shit, All this crap again?!

"If I had to do it all over again, yes why not? why not
goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 16 May 07, 19:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It has good songs, they just recorded them a little strangely :)

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 16 May 07, 20:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've always loved Hot Space. I actually prefer it to both News of the World and Jazz.

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
saltnvinegar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 312 posts

Posted: 17 May 07, 02:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agree with most of the posts here. It gets a really bad press which is a little unfair.I think the negativity at the time mainly came from the fact that it was a departure from the so-called 'Queen-sound'.Some Queen fans merely accept it as part of a rich and varied catalogue from a band who tried not to repeat themselves and weren't afraid to experiment. I find myself enjoying some of the tracks that people dislike most (Cool Cat for one is a sweet little laid back summer track that has sounds fairly timeless in my opinion) It's hard to hate the album that spawned Under Pressure, my Number One Queen track and Number Two song of all time.Happy 25th Hot Space!

August R. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 561 posts

Posted: 17 May 07, 03:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's nice to notice that many people actually like the B-side of the album. And let's face it, it is the A-side that lacks the traditional Queen sound, and includes songs like Body Language and Staying Power instead. No wonder the fans didn't know what to think about it, 'cos the first thing they heard was these strange disco/funk songs and they went on for the whole side A.

The side B is actually quite good and there are typical Queen songs on there e.g. Life Is Real (a typical Freddie piano ballad), POTF (a typical Brian rocker, and of course UP is a very strong closer to the album.

I wonder what kind of reception the album would have got with a different song order if the disco/funk stuff wasn't trown in your face...

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 17 May 07, 07:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

goinback wrote:

No actually I don't mind that album...I had no idea about the DVD Easter Egg removal though!

That might be because it's a joke, started by Sir G_H I believe...or one of the other regulars here, just after At The Bowl was released.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

lyricalassasin77 user not visiting Queenzone.com
lyricalassasin77
Bohemian: 435 posts

Posted: 17 May 07, 09:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

August R has a good point about the whole "Side A vs. Side B" thing. However I think the album is a refreshing change and gives a different look into Queen. Staying Power and Dancer were pretty weak and just seem thrown together but you can't beat "BackChat". I always notice one of the most picked on songs off this album is "Body Language". I've always thought that "Bicycle Race" was one of the silliest and stupidest songs they ever put out and funny its never talked about in the same light as "Body Language" is. Just goes to show easy a target this album seems to be. I will say one more thing in defense of the album. I think it has the coolest cover art out of all the Queen albums which kinda goes hand and hand with why the album is so unique......Happy 25th....Peace

Dislocate your spine if you don't sign.....He say's I'll have you seeing double
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 17 May 07, 10:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

goinback wrote:

That might be because it's a joke, started by Sir G_H I believe...or one of the other regulars here, just after At The Bowl was released.

Noooooooo... it definitely wasn't me!

I've got nothing against Hot Space, for the most part. But I'll always say that the album would have fared much better had they swapped the sides (and personally, if they had left off Cool Cat in favour of Soul Brother... and if I really had my way, removing Body Language from public consciousness altogether... haha!). However, up to that point, Queen albums always began with something that made you scratch your head, and wonder what in the world they were up to! Put Out The Fire wouldn't have done that, as it was a regular Brian rocker.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Another queen fanatic user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 82 posts

Posted: 17 May 07, 17:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hot Space is a refreshing break to normal Queen music - listen to all their albums back to back and it is quite refreshing to hear. I cant see why its such a shock, Hot Space is just a bit more pop. Besides Dont Do suicide is way worse than body Language. Besides wasnt the video of body langauge banned on MTV, and like one of the first videos banned? - Thats a great fact to bring up about Queen.

August R. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 561 posts

Posted: 17 May 07, 19:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lyricalassasin_77 wrote:

I've always thought that "Bicycle Race" was one of the silliest and stupidest songs they ever put out and funny its never talked about in the same light as "Body Language" is.

I agree. Bicycle Race is definately one of the strangest choises for a single. Not my favourite either, though I think the musical complexity saves Bicycle Race. It's not so easy to slam a song that has lots of tempo and key changes. (I know that complexity doesn't make a song good, but it makes you wonder "was it so brilliant I just didn't get it?" :) Despite the stupid lyrics, Bicycle Race at least has some musical merit, whereas Body Language is not interesting lyrically nor musically, IMO. And that's probably why people don't slam Bicycle race...

vicspec user not visiting Queenzone.com
vicspec
Bohemian: 156 posts

Posted: 17 May 07, 22:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In the absence of any official celebration of the 25th anniversary of Hot Space, here is a new electro mix of Back Chat. Just follow the link to a post in the Fan mix section:

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=997471

Happy anniversary Hot Space.