Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Way Different Version of Bohemian Rhapsody

forum rss feed
Author

mickyparise user not visiting Queenzone.com
mickyparise
Bohemian: 787 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 May 07, 20:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

From Apologetix, a Christian Band.

Truthfully, I kind of like it......

http://www.myspace.com/apologetix1

and on the right hand side, click on bethlehem rapsody

R.I.P. PRINCESS

Living Life on Life's Terms
SomebodyWhoLoves user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 842 posts

Posted: 16 May 07, 20:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOL. The funniest part when was the galileos sounded like chipmunks. LOL.

Overall, very very lame! Two thumbs down. If you're going to cover a song, at least use the original lyrics.

Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 16 May 07, 20:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That was...

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
The Real Wizard user is on Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18628 posts

Posted: 16 May 07, 23:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SomebodyWhoLoves wrote:

If you're going to cover a song, at least use the original lyrics.

Tell that to Weird Al!

To me, matching the lyrics is optional. A cover is good in my books as long as you try to make it your own song - lyrically, musically, or both. Nothing is more boring than someone lifting a song note for note, word for word.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts

Posted: 17 May 07, 12:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It sucked

:)
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 17 May 07, 13:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

SomebodyWhoLoves wrote:

Tell that to Weird Al!

To me, matching the lyrics is optional. A cover is good in my books as long as you try to make it your own song - lyrically, musically, or both. Nothing is more boring than someone lifting a song note for note, word for word.

Couldn't agree with that more.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 17 May 07, 13:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

SomebodyWhoLoves wrote:

Tell that to Weird Al!

Couldn't agree with that more.

I bet you could.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

thunderbolt 31742 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thunderbolt 31742
Bohemian: 647 posts

Posted: 17 May 07, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SomebodyWhoLoves wrote:

Tell that to Weird Al!

Agreed with you, more on the note-for-note part than the word-for-word. It's alright if you change a line here and there, but if you're only using half of the original song (i.e., Madonna's "American Pie"--a terrible cover of a great song, for the record), is it really a cover, or are you just sampling someone else's hit.

The best full cover (i.e., lyrical--I've heard some great instrumental renditions of the song) of BoRhap I've had the pleasure of listening to is the one done by the Flaming Lips. It maintains the original lyrics, but changes the melodies and timing just enough to give it that "wow, cool" effect, and make it a work definitely by the Lips. Compare that to Constantine's cover of the same song, and you can see that maybe Constantine's voice is closer to what tradition dictates the song should sound like, but as it's a straight cover of the song, it inevitably falls on its face.

And then there's the version done by the Braids. Listen, I appreciate experimenting as much as the next guy, but please try not to experiment in such a way that makes me want to put a gun against my head, pull my trigger, bang, I'm dead.

The cover mentioned in this thread, I think, is bad. The talent level of the band is negligible, and they don't have the vocal or instrumental chops to take this song. Beyond that (and primarily, I think) is the subject matter. Changing the dark, mysterious lyrics of BoRhap to fit the biblically simple story of David and Goliath seems trite and insulting. I'd give it a D+ for originality and the fact that they were willing to experiment with the lyrics (and moreover, to even try to cover the most difficult song out there), but it's just a boring and pointless redux clearly aimed at a certain audience. That audience would probably eat their version up, but I find it's more of a "chew it up and spit it out" proposition.

"Do you think I should keep this mustache? Did you say no? F--- off."
Sergei. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Impresario, still
Sergei.
Deity: 4682 posts

Posted: 17 May 07, 17:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ew. That was stupid. :S

Back whenever