Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > UK DVDs of JAPAN 1985 and RIO 85 ?!

forum rss feed
Author

BuDi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 May 07, 13:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.qleap.co.uk/product.asp?pID=3580&cID=1
http://www.qleap.co.uk/product.asp?pID=2991&cID=1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Queen-Live-Japan-1985/dp/B000GCGDOY/ref=pd_sim_d_h__2/203-5410912-1756767

What is the deal with thrse two DVDs, why are they released by some unknow label and not official Queen one ?

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 May 07, 15:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They are all unofficial releases.

BuDi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 May 07, 15:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, but they look legit.

I guess Amazon wouldn't sell bootlegs and bootleg companies are usually less exposed with full company informations.

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 May 07, 15:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Japan DVD is official. It was recent bought by a company for Europe release.

The Rio DVD is not official.

Take care

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18625 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 May 07, 23:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I guess these would be considered "pirates", not "bootlegs", since they're copying official material.



"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 May 07, 00:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Crappy material recorded in a DVD-R still is crappy material.

P.


Queen rocks!
Queenman!! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenman!!
Bohemian: 931 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 May 07, 05:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BuDi wrote:

http://www.qleap.co.uk/product.asp?pID=3580&cID=1
http://www.qleap.co.uk/product.asp?pID=2991&cID=1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Queen-Live-Japan-1985/dp/B000GCGDOY/ref=pd_sim_d_h__2/203-5410912-1756767

What is the deal with thrse two DVDs, why are they released by some unknow label and not official Queen one ?


Who has the rights to release the complete Japanese 1985 concert? Toshiba EMI perhaps? Why are all the concerts cut? Space on VHS or? See Budapest, Wembley, Japan 1982, Rock in Rio. All official releases.


You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us feel like we could fly!
Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 May 07, 10:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

I guess these would be considered "pirates", not "bootlegs", since they're copying official material.


I´m almost certain that the Japan DVD is not pirate. I think it is official, i´ve seen it on severall places like Fnac. I don´t think Queen productions would allow this to happen in the great musical stores without saying nothing. It is afterall an official release.
BUT, i might be wrong!!

Take care

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18625 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 May 07, 12:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sometimes pirates do make their way into stores, because they can look very legitimate! But it also depends on the store. There are a few record shops in the Toronto area that carry pirates and even bootlegs.



"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 May 07, 12:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Aaaargg!

Shiver me timbers!

Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 May 07, 14:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

Sometimes pirates do make their way into stores, because they can look very legitimate! But it also depends on the store. There are a few record shops in the Toronto area that carry pirates and even bootlegs.


It is down to distributors carrying these dodgy titles without knowing they aren't legitimate. Major chains only deal with long established distributors - so the fuck up is with the distributors not the shops.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18625 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 May 07, 01:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Negative Creep wrote:

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

Sometimes pirates do make their way into stores, because they can look very legitimate! But it also depends on the store. There are a few record shops in the Toronto area that carry pirates and even bootlegs.


It is down to distributors carrying these dodgy titles without knowing they aren't legitimate. Major chains only deal with long established distributors - so the fuck up is with the distributors not the shops.


But that doesn't necessarily mean the shop can't use its own discretion when selling its products, especially something that doesn't even look legit... right?



"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 May 07, 13:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They just look like budget releases, like a lot of DVDs out there. How can you expect someone working in a record shop to know that something isn't legit that has been supplied via official channels? You can't. It isn't like DVDs by this label come on DVD-Rs with low quality booklets or anything.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 May 07, 14:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This was years ago like 89-90, but I worked in a record store and we received 25 brand new shrinkwrapped N.W.A. counterfeit tapes shipped with the rest of our products. We sold nearly all of them. When it was brought to our attention that we had fakes, one phone call to the distributor credited us for 25 cassettes... Even though we sold most of them!!!! That was 100% profit for the store.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18625 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 May 07, 19:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Negative Creep wrote:

They just look like budget releases, like a lot of DVDs out there. How can you expect someone working in a record shop to know that something isn't legit that has been supplied via official channels? You can't. It isn't like DVDs by this label come on DVD-Rs with low quality booklets or anything.


Yeah, that's true... good post.

Micrówave wrote:

This was years ago like 89-90, but I worked in a record store and we received 25 brand new shrinkwrapped N.W.A. counterfeit tapes shipped with the rest of our products. We sold nearly all of them. When it was brought to our attention that we had fakes, one phone call to the distributor credited us for 25 cassettes... Even though we sold most of them!!!! That was 100% profit for the store.


Haha... that's awesome!



"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
Cygnus X-1 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cygnus X-1
Bohemian: 498 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 May 07, 04:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=black>Dennis Daja<h6>QZs Dio wrote:

Yes,

Masterplan released these DVD's.

Masterplan is a company wich has cheap releases of DVD's. They most of the time just give official releases to circulating bootlegs without changing them a lot. Actually the only thing wich changes is that they add there logo very big in the corner of the screen during the entire concert. They have horrible releases.

The positive side is that they bring "bootlegs" or unkown shows to a bigger public (for not o mutch money). This way I layed my hands on Black Sabbath Live In Paris '70 and Rainbow Live At The Budokan '84.


That's right, they are crap! The Black Sabbath DVD looks like a high gen copy of an VHS and their "logo" ruined everything.

But you can get these DVD's everywhere here in Germany! Masterplan released Gun's 'n Roses in Chicago'92, The Who live '75 , Led Zeppelin live at Knepworth'79 & Earl's Court'75 (only parts of)Kiss Live and Metallica Live in San Diego'92 (which i wonder - this concert is part of the official "Live Shit"Box.)

I don't really think this is approved my the record companys...

pma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3462 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Jun 07, 05:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yesterday I went to my local Anttila-department store which is one of the major store-chains in Finland. I noticed they had racks of these masterplan dvd's from various artists. Among them were the two titles Queen - Japan 85 and Rio 85.

Both cost 11.95€ (15.9U$D) and I was curious enough to purchase them. Absolutely the same as VHS-quality (naturally) down to the end credits, but since I don't have these on DVD in any format I felt like they were worth the price. The disc footage carries the annoying MP (Masterplan) logo in the top corner.

The department store (Anttila) had been selling these types of discs for a few years already and I doubt they'd get away with selling actual pirates or bootlegs since we have very anal/strict copyright people who will not hesitate to strike down on all horrible humanity threatening people, such as mp3-downloading kids or major retail chains selling un-authorized dvd's.






"I think now I can make love to your anus without making God angry"



Registered: Friday, January 18, 2002